Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

2 hours ago, BFG said:

It’s a possibility that the TCC arts building may not happen. There’s some behind-the-scenes issues, including a holdup with fundraising. The article mentions the pandemic, but doesn’t blame this project on that.

Hot take, but I’m at the point where I don’t wanna hear about any major projects in this area unless there’s 150% evidence and proof that it’s gonna happen. I’m tired of things being kicked down the road. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/education/vp-nw-tcc-reconsidering-neon-district-project-20201119-deum5wizzfe5xe3rw43mt73l3i-story.html

I was home this weekend. The bus station was completely empty, did I miss something?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2020 at 1:59 PM, Asdfjkl; said:

d’Art Center is moving to a new location on Bousch Street with 14 apartments above. 
38555BE7-EBE9-4AD6-93E7-737FFD52AABA.thumb.jpeg.f7ba2c9b3b6e913fa92ada15edc20270.jpeg

Additional renderings - WPA 740 Boush Street

That is awesome, so glad to see the D'Art Center still around. I for the life of me can't remember the building they used to be in back in the '90s before they moved to the Sheldon Arcade.

16 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

They were on Boush St at College Pl on property that is now part of Harbor Heights  I believe. 

Yeah, I vaguely remember that, I just don't remember what the building looked like anymore. I do remember visiting it from time to time, it was always such a treat seeing all those artist studios functioning.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/norfolk-greyhound-bus-station-redevelopment/291-8c3e8bf2-2081-459b-88a6-87fafb1bde05

"“We’re not looking to massively change the characteristics of any area," he explained"

God forbid we do anything bold or exciting... He should have never said this. Yes, keep somewhat in the character of the area, but statements like this limit creativity before the first line is drawn. Let people come up with proposals first and then decide from there what, if anything, needs to be paired down.

I would love to buy that building. Ever since it opened, I've found the NEON District a bit lacking. Something about it doesn't feel organic, and now I wonder if that's by design. They need something other than just murals on the walls - a creative space for artists to collaborate would be awesome. They could even use the Greyhound station and dress it up a bit.

• Like 2

Interesting tidbit from the RFP for the site...
https://norfolkdevelopment.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Norfolk_Greyhound_RFP.pdf

Norfolk is a central city of 246,000 residents within the Hampton Roads region. As the financial, business, medical, cultural, education and entertainment center, Norfolk is the heart of the Hampton Roads metropolitan area.

The population was in the mid-240s a few years ago, then the Census claims it dropped to 239K last year. Is 246K the revised number after the recount?

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, BFG said:

Interesting tidbit from the RFP for the site...
https://norfolkdevelopment.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Norfolk_Greyhound_RFP.pdf

The population was in the mid-240s a few years ago, then the Census claims it dropped to 239K last year. Is 246K the revised number after the recount?

Achievement acquired!  

Realistically though its right next to downtown.....no it is IN downtown this is an important piece of land right behind another important piece (Granby tower site) They said they didnt want something grand or exciting....this blew my mind and I stood up in a rant over how stupid he just sounded. Hopfully they dont come up with another grand idea for those generic apartment buildings like the one on Monticello or near town centere. This should be somthing to identify us by. Be it a beautiful building or a awesome public art gallery  

• 1 month later...

I think it’s always great when more art programs and young people move DT and it’s been great to see the growth in art and pop up galleries and such in NFK in the last few years which I know at least partially can be attributed to our local universities (ODU, NSU, TCC). The city should continue to try to develop the arts scene and plan ahead as our venues will eventually become dated and I think renovations and expansions will be necessary soon.

with that said, I think the city and the residents of DT are in dire need of a grocery store and, in a dream world, this space would have been reserved for a Target or a Publix or Trader Joe’s? Oh well, maybe some of that ground floor retail in the new Gravity 400 will be designed to accommodate that sort of retail, and maybe the 1000+ apartments coming online in the next few years will do something to demand that level of retail in the city. I mean Town Center has a Target, Fresh Market, Wegmans, Walmart, all within close proximity. It’s just hard from quality of life perspective for a city to grow without the basic amenities that everyday people care about. That’s just one of several reasons we have seen the city struggle to gain or even retain residents while VB/ Chesapeake are growing at a very respectable rate. The growth and transition toward more urban design and better retail  in VB and Chesapeake should spark a match under Norfolk leadership to think innovative and find ways to incentivize new businesses to attract and grow the city. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

EVMS is selling Smith-Rogers Hall, the school's oldest building, and surrounding land to the City of Norfolk and the Chrysler Museum. They will use the property as an expansion location for the art museum.

https://www.pilotonline.com/inside-business/vp-nw-evms-building-sale-0709-20220707-qjnrqqlaazanvgfmzngpfkojpy-story.html

57 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

I can't read the story as it is behind a paywall, but I attended the kickoff announcement of the fundraising effort Sun. before last. Chrysler Director Erik Neil said that if they were successful in securing Smith-Rilogers Hall they are most excited for adding an additional 120 parking spaces which will be needed for the expansion of the Perry Glass Museum. Ground has already been broken for that project, according to a release from the Museum. He said the building will likely be razed, and the land will be held for future expansion. 

Chrysler Museum's 2018 Master Plan. Seems to incorporate acquiring that and the Red Cross sites for use in future expansion.

https://wparch.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/ChryslerMOA_2018CampusMasterPlan-Rev2-Web.pdf

Edited by Arctic_Tern

1 hour ago, NFKjeff said:

I can't read the story as it is behind a paywall, but I attended the kickoff announcement of the fundraising effort Sun. before last. Chrysler Director Erik Neil said that if they were successful in securing Smith-Rilogers Hall they are most excited for adding an additional 120 parking spaces which will be needed for the expansion of the Perry Glass Museum. Ground has already been broken for that project, according to a release from the Museum. He said the building will likely be razed, and the land will be held for future expansion. 

The article does note that this land will be held for future expansion.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Riverview Theater has been purchased and in the process of being renovated. It is slated to be reopened August 2024.

Here is a WAVY10 article that came out: https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/norfolks-historic-riverview-theater-to-reopen/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR2wR_MZcf9k1dzm6AUNrgfFEAUOXtDk6AerjnvDlsy4Un-n27swWeA1u14

Here is the Riverview Theater Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/RiverviewTheaterNorfolk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/1/2023 at 10:55 AM, varider said:

What an incredible transformation. It would be nice to get an update on how many ppl are living downtown. It would be amazing if we could get some new retail/bar announcements. We need some live music (Nashville or Austin) establishments on Granby. Also, the city needs to bring back First Fridays. 

I agree! the last first fridays i was at the very last one. It was AMAZING. 

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, varider said:

What an incredible transformation. It would be nice to get an update on how many ppl are living downtown. It would be amazing if we could get some new retail/bar announcements. We need some live music (Nashville or Austin) establishments on Granby. Also, the city needs to bring back First Fridays. 

When the first NEON Festival happened, I said the city needed to do this more than once a year. Then they introduced First Fridays, which was awesome. Then they shut it down indefinitely. It’s almost like Norfolk refuses to wanna be a city. I really hope it comes back next spring. 

• Like 1

The city stopped holding First Friday not long after the world reopened. If you go to the FF site, it still says it would not resume in 2022, so that decision had to have been made before the Chicho’s shooting. 

We may not know why the city stopped holding First Friday, but I’m pretty sure crime wasn’t an issue esp. since it was still daylight when the event happened. And there’s still plenty of other social events. 

• Confused 2