Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

Wish I could afford a photography studio down there. That seems like it would be cool.  Perhaps, have classes of different types, and do photography work all the same. Some of those buildings have exposed brick (which I love), and deep enough to support a studio of some type... If I didn't have a family, I could afford that easily, lol.

You should check out Alchemy NFK.  They're renting out one of the buildings down there and are about to fix it up.  Basically, their turning the place into a center for artists, photographers and musicians to sublet and turn into their own individual studios at a much more affordable cost.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/AlchemyNFK?fref=ts

• 2 months later...

Here's more on Alchemy NFK, which is just an awesome concept.  Apparently, three other vacancies in the area have already been leased/purchased.  That's in addition to multiple plans underway with the for public art in this area.  So things should really start to come together over the next year. 

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/#!/2013/07/local-business-profile-alchemy-nfk.html

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to those guys.  Once you add alcohol to your business plan in Norfolk you have a whole new level of bureaucracy to deal with.  They'll have to make the building meet current building codes as if it were new construction.  ADA bathrooms and maybe even sprinklers if they want a decent occupancy.  They'll have to pay an architect to design a seating plan showing where every table and chair would go and it'll go through a 4 month process with planning and council.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when they plan to take down the Granby+Main location? I would love to get some photography on that side and may head over there this weekend...the Dominion Enterprises tower and surrounding architecture made for a great backdrop!

• 4 weeks later...

The old Zedd's building was demolished this afternoon. Room for the Plot in the future?

http://www.wavy.com/news/local/norfolk/building-demolished-in-norfolk

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Crews in Norfolk conducted an emergency demolition of a building deemed unsafe Thursday.

Normally I am against tearing down buildings, but this one didn't have anything really worth saving and if the building was unsafe, then it makes sense.  I can definitely see a new development here that helps spark renovations and new buildings in this district.

Seriously, it makes me so happy to see Norfolk actually doing something I have been in a huge support of for a long time.  I really hope this works out for the city because this is a perfect area for an arts district.

Sweet! I was on Granby this morning, near the Greyhound station. They put a couple of sculptures on the corner of Granby+Brambleton. I guess that's the unofficial "entrance" to the Arts District?

artsdistrict_zps4d9610df.jpg

There are four I've noticed....two @ Granby and Brambleton and two @ Granby and Princess Anne

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

An update about the status of the new Arts District:

http://ideastations.org/radio/news/virginia-currents-norfolk-embraces-transformation-neighborhoods

Since the Better Block event last April, nearly all the vacant buildings in the immediate area have been sold or rented.

Seems like things in that part of town are going great! I was visiting the Arts District the other day and was amazed by the amount of progresses that's been made. For the first time in recent memory, that area seems alive!

bobs2.jpg?resize=640%2C382?w=618

10154920_302482409905548_559412513926255

1662676_278118489008607_434600761_n.jpg

1450690_270875726399550_1189223432_n.jpg

1656006_489593911144486_4833689949677232

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree, I was in the Arts District the other day and was astounded by how much it's progressed in the last year.

I also like what the article said about "branding" Norfolk as NFK, similar to Richmond's RVA. It's catchy. What do you guys think? 

I also like what the article said about "branding" Norfolk as NFK, similar to Richmond's RVA. It's catchy. What do you guys think? 

To be honest, it doesn't do much for me.  I don't dislike it, but it doesn't grab me, either.

FWIW, NFK is the Amtrak identifier for Norfolk.  But for air travel, NFK is the airport at Norfolk Island, a tiny speck in the Pacific Ocean between New Zealand and New Caledonia.  Recently, Carnival Cruises incorrectly used photos of Norfolk Island in advertisements announcing their return to Norfolk, VA.  It's easy to tell the two Norfolks apart, though.  Norfolk, Virginia does not have palm trees dotting its beaches, with mountains in the background.