Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

It seems like Norfolk (and Va. Beach and Chesapeake etc...) have some sort of vendetta against interesting designs for residential buildings. You would think that they'd at least try something different in a proven Arts District, but this thing looks just like the bland apartments that are about to go up on St. Paul's. More residential in this area is exactly what's needed, and it's still early in the planning process so I'll hold my breath, but it's hard to get too excited when the designs all look like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the Planning Commission did not respond favorably to this, resulting in the developer sending a passive-aggressive note to Mayor Fraim, threatening to sell the building and invest in another city. He also directed a few jabs at the Neon District.

As a result, an "emergency" planning commission meeting re: the building is scheduled for Friday at 4:30 p.m. So, expect this eyesore to become a reality.

Not necessarily, they could tell him to go and take his threats with him. If he's going to throw a temper tantrum because we don't want him building crap downtown then I have no problem with him taking his ball and going home. Don't be cheap, try to work with the community that is going to give your business money. It's this type of arrogance that turned me off to Stone Brewing. I've never personally responded very well to threats and I don't think the city should either.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/new-business-coming-to-granby-street-in-neon-district/article_0d656a49-4b53-53fb-94a1-198937f928fb.html

Quite a bit of activity coming to the neon district in the coming days and weeks. A subcommittee was also formed in order to address the streetscape lighting and walkability of the district as well. 

• 1 month later...

One last photo.  Now this reminds me of the type of clubs you see in bigger cities. More of this please.  I am genuinely shocked at how well the neon district has taken off. You want to get millenials? THIS gets millennials. 

20160430_234357.jpg

Edited by vdogg
Autocorrect butchered a sentence.
  • Like 1

I've wanted to check out Granby Street Social Club ever since I heard about its proposal. A place that isn't strictly a club or bar, just a place to have fun and grab a bite to eat. The pics look great!

Hopefully, as Norfolk tries to transition towards a "24-hour downtown", GSSC is one of the places that stays open later...that kind of restaurant would be perfect!

Edited by BFG

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gone to the noon presentations at the Glass Studio a few times.  A lot of fun, but it does get a bit crowded in there sometimes. The studio wasn't really made for a big audience. Hopefully you will still be able to get up close and personal during the demonstrations. And having gallery space so you can see the creations right there is a nice plus.

• 4 weeks later...

Some needed street repairs on the corner of Brambleton and Granby are happening, thanks to federal grant moneys.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/brambleton-and-granby-intersection-to-get-special-look-for-neon/article_a96238bd-76b5-5b47-9f19-2c0f0558e6d3.html

Fixing this intersection is LONG overdue. Every time i cross Brambleton on that corner, i make sure to update my will! Hopefully they will put some traffic cameras there to catch the many, many people who run red lights there.

• Like 1

That's pretty cool. With NEON coming into its own, I wonder if a pedestrian bridge could ever become a reality, esp. depending on what happens with Greyhound? Since the feds own the Granby Tower site, go ahead and do something with the park and have a bridge start/end there.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh look, another "me too" arts district. <_<

Let's support Norfolk's arts district. Let's at least get that off the ground and IF they develop some synergy, we can move on to districts in other areas. We don't need one in Portsmouth, we don't need one in VB, we don't need one in Chesapeake, etc. Let's work together on this.

https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/arts/portsmouth-designates-new-arts-district-but-it-won-t-have/article_06f7712b-53da-52d9-9baa-73dc9c05ccc1.html

• Like 1

On one hand, I'm glad that Hampton Roads is embracing and encouraging the arts. On the other hand, like you, I kinda feel like it takes away from the NEON District. NEON gets some (much-deserved) national press from time to time, but if other cities keep trying to build their own arts district, it takes away from Norfolk.

It's like it helps the region grow artistically and hurts the region because it kinda dilutes the waters a bit.

• Like 1