atlanta the mighty peach

waltand07

Atlanta most definetly the New York of the south, theres just no comparison. You have to think about when NYC was the same age as Atlanta and how there populations are. When NYC was that age that Atlanta is now it was not half as big as Atlanta. This tells you that when Atlanta does get to become an old city like NYC it will dominate the nation in cities population. This is a true fact because everyone knows that Atlanta is a lot more faster as a growing city. It is in the top 10 of the fastest growing cities in the country and number 1 in the southern region it self, NOT NYC by any means.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im actually from the augusta georgia area its the second largest city in the state. I love to support Atlanta because it is my state, plus it really nowhere from augusta. I takes average people 2 hours to get there from augusta, but ive got there in an hour and a half. I can leave by 9 in the morning hang out at one of there hot malls and be back home by 8 in the evining or before.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta most definetly the New York of the south, theres just no comparison. You have to think about when NYC was the same age as Atlanta and how there populations are. When NYC was that age that Atlanta is now it was not half as big as Atlanta. This tells you that when Atlanta does get to become an old city like NYC it will dominate the nation in cities population. This is a true fact because everyone knows that Atlanta is a lot more faster as a growing city. It is in the top 10 of the fastest growing cities in the country and number 1 in the southern region it self, NOT NYC by any means.

You think ATL will become another NYC? <suspends belief>... OK, SURE!

You're living in a dream, dude. Atlanta is big (biggest in the southeast), but it won't eclipse New York City... ever.

Why? Because of a lack of water resources. The Chattahoochee River Basin can barely sustain the metro area now, much less in the future when we get up around 8-10 million. No, our city's growth will come to a grinding hault if this issue isn't tackled right now. And even if we did do something about, like build another couple of Lake Sidney Lanier's (which won't happen), we won't reach the size of New York by a long shot, because cities can't sustain incredible growth rates for very long periods of time. We've been in a population boom for well over 2 decades, but if you look at the growth charts Atlanta isn't experiencing the same growth rate if enjoyed in the mid 90's. In fact the growth rates are dropping off slightly every year because the area simply can't sustain double-digit yearly growth. Not to mention traffic concerns and a rising cost of living that will make our city less attractive in the future. So you're basically wrong. You can still engage in wishful thinking though.

To add to the previous post, NYC grew at a time when this country was BOOMING... we aren't booming much anymore. You can't compare ATL's growth in this time period, to NYC's which was a completely different time in our History.

I heard ATL isn't very urban in terms of density anyways. Pretty much it looks good from far away, and street level isn't as great as you would think?? not sure if it's true or not (I'm sure some streets have exceptions, but in an overall point of view)

I should go visit sometime anyways since I've seen some great picture of the skyline and streetscape.

To add to the previous post, NYC grew at a time when this country was BOOMING... we aren't booming much anymore. You can't compare ATL's growth in this time period, to NYC's which was a completely different time in our History.

I heard ATL isn't very urban in terms of density anyways. Pretty much it looks good from far away, and street level isn't as great as you would think?? not sure if it's true or not (I'm sure some streets have exceptions, but in an overall point of view)

I should go visit sometime anyways since I've seen some great picture of the skyline and streetscape.

Wouldn't the "migration" of people from North to South be considered a boom of sorts for the Southeast/Southwest/

The biggest difference here is that the migration that made NYC big consisted primarily of people moving into the city or the suburbs bordering it. The migration nowadays consists more of people moving into the suburbs and some moving into the city. That said, living intown, as said before, is becoming much more popular nowadays.

Good points all of you. It's very true, Atlanta won't be able to sustain the amazing growth of the 80's and 90's, but that's okay. The city and metro area will definitely continue to grow at a good rate, and with less people hightailing it to the metro, we'll have time to work on our infrastructure issues instead of just quickly building a subdivision in Cherokee County to house all of the transplants.

The way I see it, Atlanta is developing like a fine wine. The ingredients are being mixed right now, but in the next few decades, it'll be able to rest and just age. Because everyone knows a well aged wine is the best kind!

-I hope that was a good metaphor

The way I see it, Atlanta is developing like a fine wine. The ingredients are being mixed right now, but in the next few decades, it'll be able to rest and just age. Because everyone knows a well aged wine is the best kind!

The problem with that metaphor is that once a city settles down to "rest and just age" the economy starts looking like Europe.

In other words... stagnant.

Look at cities like Rome and Paris. Indeed both are beautiful old cities (like fine wine) but the only areas they actually lead in anymore is fashion and tourism. unsure.gif Granted both fashion and tourism is important, but you need a more diversified portfolio of strengths to really keep the economy strong and vibrant. These cities aren't growing at incredible rates. They aren't leaders in world finance, business, transportation, or media. Atlanta, like New York, is well positioned to lead other cities in these areas because it has strengths in those areas. The cities that will actually survive in the end are the ones that produce jobs. And when the SHTF these cities will continue to thrive because they don't put all their chips in just one area, but instead have several strong areas to bolster the weak ones. Cities like Paris and Rome will never be at the top of the ladder when it comes to economic powerhouses. Cities like New York and Atlanta will continue to grow and thrive, even in rough times. 9/11 is a good example for New York and it bounced right back.

I'm all for Atlanta growing, but one thing I hope is preserved is the urban forest. Atlanta has a unique situation and it should keep it that way.

Back in 1992 when the Barcelona Olympics were on tv, we Atlantans looked around and realized we could not look as good. Barcelona is an amazing city. What we did realize that we had was trees. At that time TreesAtlanta was born. They have added over a million trees to our city's streets. It's not architecture but it has done wonders to our urban fabric. We will become the city of trees once again.

Give those trees some time to grow and keeping adding more. :thumbsup:

It's not architecture but it has done wonders to our urban fabric. We will become the city of trees once again.

Give those trees some time to grow and keeping adding more. :thumbsup:

It is kind of an oxymoron because the city was once known as the city of trees but yet we cut down millions of trees for sprwal. :wacko:

atlanta will never match new york citys clout, its just not happening. nyc is one of a kind, atlanta is a bit more artificial as where nyc is the real deal. Yes atlanta is the nyc of the south (which isnt really saying much, the south dosnt have very big cities), but nyc is the city of the world.

You think ATL will become another NYC? <suspends belief>... OK, SURE!

You're living in a dream, dude. Atlanta is big (biggest in the southeast), but it won't eclipse New York City... ever.

Why? Because of a lack of water resources. The Chattahoochee River Basin can barely sustain the metro area now, much less in the future when we get up around 8-10 million. No, our city's growth will come to a grinding hault if this issue isn't tackled right now. And even if we did do something about, like build another couple of Lake Sidney Lanier's (which won't happen), we won't reach the size of New York by a long shot, because cities can't sustain incredible growth rates for very long periods of time. We've been in a population boom for well over 2 decades, but if you look at the growth charts Atlanta isn't experiencing the same growth rate if enjoyed in the mid 90's. In fact the growth rates are dropping off slightly every year because the area simply can't sustain double-digit yearly growth. Not to mention traffic concerns and a rising cost of living that will make our city less attractive in the future. So you're basically wrong. You can still engage in wishful thinking though.

First of all water has never been a problem in the united states, las vegas is in the freakin desert and you see it has no problems, we can drill for water anywhere. The sucess of NYC could of happened to any city in the country, its just a matter of events happening at different times. Atlanta in general is a more Ethnic city than NYC and if you look at all the big cities in the u.s they all have the same thing in common, all the minorities. There what make big cities great. Even though the country is not boomin like it was in previous years Atlanta is still growing faster than New York. New york has had its time to shine there are bigger and better things to see. Half the people that live in New York are POOR. Who in the world would like to live in a city that big in poverty. Atlanta has way more to offer and is not as slummy. NY airport cannot compare to Atlantas. More and more every day Atlanta is becoming the next big thing and is doing it better than NY did when it was that young. The country will have more prosperous years to come, and when it does Atlanta will kill NY. Look at all the statistics about all the northerners comming to the southern big cities. The south also has more people than any other regipon in the country. NYC is something of the pass, I KNOW PEOPLE DONT WANT TO EXCEPT THAT BUT THE FACTS ARE TRUE.

First of all water has never been a problem in the united states, las vegas is in the freakin desert and you see it has no problems, we can drill for water anywhere. The sucess of NYC could of happened to any city in the country, its just a matter of events happening at different times. Atlanta in general is a more Ethnic city than NYC and if you look at all the big cities in the u.s they all have the same thing in common, all the minorities. There what make big cities great. Even though the country is not boomin like it was in previous years Atlanta is still growing faster than New York. New york has had its time to shine there are bigger and better things to see. Half the people that live in New York are POOR. Who in the world would like to live in a city that big in poverty. Atlanta has way more to offer and is not as slummy. NY airport cannot compare to Atlantas. More and more every day Atlanta is becoming the next big thing and is doing it better than NY did when it was that young. The country will have more prosperous years to come, and when it does Atlanta will kill NY. Look at all the statistics about all the northerners comming to the southern big cities. The south also has more people than any other regipon in the country. NYC is something of the pass, I KNOW PEOPLE DONT WANT TO EXCEPT THAT BUT THE FACTS ARE TRUE.

What do you mean by "Atlanta in general is a more Ethnic city than NYC"? NYC is about as dierse as you can get in the USA. I'd also llike to know what exactly you mean by Atlanta has much more to offer than NYC.

Atlanta's growing and will become more powerful in the future, but I'd say that even then it would be a long shot off from NYC.

Where are you getting this stuff from? How do you know that most people in New York are poor? Have you even been to New York? Oh, and if you look on the ARC's website you'll see that water supply is a VERY big issue for metro Atlanta. I'm thrilled that you hold our great city in just high esteem, but do not trash other cities, especially with "facts" that aren't true.

If you can answer all of my questions with statistics to back it up then I will gladly take back everything I said.

Oh yeah - well, Santiago is fake too but since there aren't any other cities in Chilli then Santiago is the NYC of Chilli :)

not sure how you figure santiago to be fake, and theres plenty of other noteworthy cities in chile. Santiago is certaily the nyc of chile, mostly because everything is here, but not the nyc of south america (that honor belongs to sao paulo or buenos aires).

Oh jaxpalmer, please don't take me seriously. Also - don't take the NYC of the South rhetoric seriously - it really doesn't deserve any response.

But I was alarmed by waltand07's comment about "Atlanta killing NYC". Now, Atlanta did have a great lawyer when Atlanta poisoned Birmingham with sleeping pills & got a mistrial. But killing NYC would look very suspicious,not to mention what Atlanta's alibi would be? Atlanta could drop some fake evidence & suggest Charlotte did it though. Yeah - that might work, that just might work...

Atlanta in general is a more Ethnic city than NYC... New york has had its time to shine there are bigger and better things to see... Half the people that live in New York are POOR. Who in the world would like to live in a city that big in poverty. Atlanta has way more to offer and is not as slummy. NY airport cannot compare to Atlantas. More and more every day Atlanta is becoming the next big thing and is doing it better than NY did when it was that young. The country will have more prosperous years to come, and when it does Atlanta will kill NY... NYC is something of the pass, I KNOW PEOPLE DONT WANT TO EXCEPT THAT BUT THE FACTS ARE TRUE.

:wacko: WOW!! :blink:

oh yea, Nevada does have pretty strict water restrictions set in place.

Atlanta could drop some fake evidence & suggest Charlotte did it though. Yeah - that might work, that just might work...

HAHAHA! :lol:

you really cant be serious. this whole thread is nothing more than a wind up.

heres a few facts you forgot to think about when you were typing that post

1) new york city is the most ethnically diverse city in the world , in queens alone there are over 200 languages spoken.

2) new york city's sucess is very much due to its location, it has a beautiful harbor and a geography unlike any city in the u.s.

3) new york city is the world banking capital, the world financial capital, and home to the biggest stock markets in the world as well as the biggest financial district

i could go on and on, atlanta is a great city no one is doubting that, but with every posts you continue to show that your on cloud 9 by downplaying just how major and unique new york is.

atlanta is a growing city with a promising future , but it will NEVER be like new york city or match nyc's clout and theres nothing wrong with that. there can only be one new york.

also, i dont think you would want people to start posting statistics in this thread, although that might bring you back to reality for a bit.

Now, Atlanta did have a great lawyer when Atlanta poisoned Birmingham with sleeping pills & got a mistrial. But killing NYC would look very suspicious,not to mention what Atlanta's alibi would be? Atlanta could drop some fake evidence & suggest Charlotte did it though. Yeah - that might work, that just might work...

LMAO! Can I help? We can leave a tiara, scepter and panther prints scattered around Manhattan. Charlotte would never know what hit it. LOL

Archived