atlanta the mighty peach

waltand07

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thougt what I said before made much sense :)

NYC grew at a different time. They had millions of millions of immigrants, and not so many cities to choose from, and NYC boomed. Atlanta has a boom, but the people flocking to the sunbelt also have many other cities to choose from, and this migration is far smaller than ones this country has seen in the past. I'm kind of confused as why NYC is being discussed though. I'd say Atlanta could be the Boston of the South, just with less density.

you really cant be serious. this whole thread is nothing more than a wind up.

heres a few facts you forgot to think about when you were typing that post

1) new york city is the most ethnically diverse city in the world , in queens alone there are over 200 languages spoken.

2) new york city's sucess is very much due to its location, it has a beautiful harbor and a geography unlike any city in the u.s.

3) new york city is the world banking capital, the world financial capital, and home to the biggest stock markets in the world as well as the biggest financial district

i could go on and on, atlanta is a great city no one is doubting that, but with every posts you continue to show that your on cloud 9 by downplaying just how major and unique new york is.

atlanta is a growing city with a promising future , but it will NEVER be like new york city or match nyc's clout and theres nothing wrong with that. there can only be one new york.

also, i dont think you would want people to start posting statistics in this thread, although that might bring you back to reality for a bit.

Did not mean to upset people of the thread, i do understand the uniqeness of NY and do understand its a great city. I know atlanta is great also ,but not as great as NY. Keep in mind all great cities most start from somewhere and atlanta is doing a more awsome job than NY did when it was that age.

Imagine the year is 1750 and someone said to a Londener that New York will one day be a city on par with London. Or how about Rome in 200 BC when someone said to Ceaser that Rome will lose it's spot as the "top" city in the world to a place to be called New York. Or (I just thought of this one) in York telling someone that a city being named after it will one day eclipse it in importance.

My point is that anything can happen. I used to live in NY and love that city more then anyone on this board (I promise), but history has a bad habit of not caring about our thoughtfull predictions of the future.

Imagine the year is 1750 and someone said to a Londener that New York will one day be a city on par with London. Or how about Rome in 200 BC when someone said to Ceaser that Rome will lose it's spot as the "top" city in the world to a place to be called New York. Or (I just thought of this one) in York telling someone that a city being named after it will one day eclipse it in importance.

My point is that anything can happen. I used to live in NY and love that city more then anyone on this board (I promise), but history has a bad habit of not caring about our thoughtfull predictions of the future.

^^ Excellent point, my thoughts exactly. I'm sure in the 30's and 40's, no one thought that LA would be bigger than Chicago in 50 years. LA is NOT like Chicago though, so the potential for Atlanta being a larger city than NY in the future may not be so far fetched, however Atlanta's potential for developing as NY did, is probably much lower.

Atlanta will undoubtly become much denser, but it doesn't have the geography that NY has. So it's future density would probably never get to the level of a NY. People talk about Atlanta having a certain plasticity, or being Disney-fied in some areas. There's a reason, we're a city that developed without natural barriers, most of our boom came during the advent of the auto. So now that 'New Urbanism' is the buzzword now, cities and developers are trying to redo themselves in this fashion. The end result are lower density central cities, with pockets of New Urbanism projects scattered about that doesn't always merge with the surrounding areas.

Atlanta was listed by a World Population group or institute several years ago as being the world's fastest growing human 'settlement'. While a large population doesn't equate to a fine urban fabric, because of Atlanta's growth, because of the popularity of intown living, because of traffic, Atlanta will develop a much finer urban fabric and density, it does't have a choice.

I also think that had NY developed around the same time that Atlanta did even in its current location, it wouldn't be as dense, it would be more sprawly. Atlanta, LA, Houston, Dallas and the other cities represent what people WANT in their housing, shopping and social situation now. The majority want to live far from the city center.

Atlanta and the other 'Sprawl Criminals' represent the new city/metro design. What will happen is a merging of the urban ideal and suburban way into something that will help obliterate new sprawl.

I had a prediction when I was in my early 20's, that Atlanta will become the largest city in the world, but this was 220 years into the future.

But don't you think the boom will end? Atlanta can't grow like this forever.

Yeah, it probably will someday, but it won't be anytime soon unless something really disastrous happens. There's still a lot of places that can be developed or redeveloped. Also, the Beltline, if all goes right (and most of us hope it does) will really help bring this together.

Of course, look at some cities that are always booming it seems like (i.e. Chicago, New York, San Francisco, etc.). Atlant could end up like them. For that matter, Miami (going off topic here) could probably keep it up, too.

Chicago and Cook County are losing population unfortunately

Where are you getting this?

Census estimates throughout the 1990's said that Chicago was losing population (not sure about Cook County, but I think the estimates said it was, too), but results of the 2000 Census said that Chicago actually gained population (once again, I'm not sure if Cook gained or lost any).

• 3 months later...

It is kind of an oxymoron because the city was once known as the city of trees but yet we cut down millions of trees for sprwal. :wacko:

There is an interesting article in the Toronto Star on why trees that are cut down for new subdivisions won't simply grow back: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...72154&t=TS_Home

In basic problem is that the topsoil is pretty much destroyed. The little bit that is put back by developers is enough for grass but is terrible for trees. So even if they do plant new trees to replace the ones cut down, the new trees can't grown as large as the old ones because the soil is garbage. So don't expect those edge city subdivisions to turn out like the street car suburbs did.

This is yet another reason for the City of Atlanta is be very protective of the trees it has.

I have not found a site that says atlanta is the fastest growing city or metro in the country haven't even found it in the top 10 someone please educate me differently

I didn't see where anyone said Atlanta was the fastest growing city in the country but the census is the best source for growth numbers.

Edit:

A site called Demographia compiles lists based on census data

Metro growth 1990-2000

CSA growth 2000-2005

Archived