411 on Ft. Wayne?

Kib

Help.. Help...

I'm going to do a exploration trip to Ft. Wayne in a few weeks for possible relocation. Is there anything there considered "Urban Living" ? (lofts, arts/entertainment district, hip neighborhoods, etc.)

Also, any neighborhoods to seek or avoid? For what it's worth - I gravitate away from McMansion suburban developments (Why else would I post here on UrbanPlanet?) Wifey & I have no kids so that is not a factor. Might consider rehabing an old glorious house, or odd property like small warehouse.

Thanks in advance !!!!

(Oh Oh, almost forgot... where's a good place to have a cold beer and sandwitch and watch a game?)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Kib! GR didn't work out? :( I worked with a woman who used to live in Ft Wayne, and she mentioned a hip historic area, but I don't remember the name. I remember her saying it was tres expensive.

Good Luck! Hope I can still use the term "linky". I've grown rather attached to it :blush:

Hey Kib! GR didn't work out? :( I worked with a woman who used to live in Ft Wayne, and she mentioned a hip historic area, but I don't remember the name. I remember her saying it was tres expensive.

Good Luck! Hope I can still use the term "linky". I've grown rather attached to it :blush:

GRDad -

I guess the "powers that be" want us to do some time elsewhere for awhile (paying our dues, methinks) before rolling into GR. Not a problem, at least it gets me out of Motown... Hopefully, if we get to GR there will be scads more lofts downtown, light rail and a couple more nice watering holes.

As I mentioned, I'll be doing recon in a couple of weeks, so I'll look for something "hip and historic" (other than what I see every morning in the mirror)

By all means, use "linky" with honor and pride !!!

From my experience (last time I was there was a year ago) the downtown does not really offer too much in terms of urban living but things may have changed now.

Thanks Moon !!!

BTW - I just got an email RE: a couple of neighborhoods:

Voilet Township SW area of town

Pine Valley, area around the IU/Perdue campus area

Old Mill trail, street in the Downtown area that is experiencing some urban development

Can anyone corroborate? Thanks again in advance !!!

GRDad -

I guess the "powers that be" want us to do some time elsewhere for awhile (paying our dues, methinks) before rolling into GR. Not a problem, at least it gets me out of Motown... Hopefully, if we get to GR there will be scads more lofts downtown, light rail and a couple more nice watering holes.

As I mentioned, I'll be doing recon in a couple of weeks, so I'll look for something "hip and historic" (other than what I see every morning in the mirror)

By all means, use "linky" with honor and pride !!!

I know how that goes. And I don't think there is much hipness downtown Ft. Wayne, but the woman I referred to really liked some of the other aspects, and she was pretty "urban". Wish I could help more...

For what it's worth Dept.:

I spoke to a real estate agent, and it appears that in fact there is no "loftyness" in Ft. Wayne. She mentioned there has been some interest from other clients she works with. SOUNDS LIKE AN OPPORTUNITY for some sharp developer.

Interesting to note no posts from Ft. Wayne. Do you guys not have internet? Afraid to post? An indication the "Men's Health" rating last year was justifiable? You're already on thin ice in my book by not demanding a section on "craigslist"

Opps.. guess I'm already getting started off on the wrong foot, my bad, sorry!!!

Really, I'm ready for the wave of Hoosier love.... really

Honest

Hey Kib: My take on Ft. Wayne is that they really have an identity crisis being so close to Chicago, Detroit, and Indianapolis, so they really have no interest in topics of Urban Development up there. However, I made the same observation during my visit this past summer: the place is RIPE for urban redevelopment if the right developer were to come along.

The city of Fort Wayne recently sent a delegation to Greenville, SC to study what we've done here to make things so hip and hot, so they've at least got some aspirations to improve the city.

My sister and brother-in-law have lived in Ft. Wayne for several years and know the area well. Drop me a P.M. and I can put you in touch with my brother-in-law and he can probably give you the skinny.

I wish we had more Indiana posters who could help you out, but right now they are thin on the ground. If you move to Fort Wayne perhaps you can help us out :D? I would love to get some Indiana posting and representation going.

I know quite a bit about the NW section of the state, alas Fort Wayne is in the NE section.

• 1 year later...

I showed my brother-in-law this forum/site and suggestesd that he get involved since he's potentially pretty much in the loop in Fort Wayne on what's going on with new urban developments and other projects. He could provide some discussion, I'm sure, if he weren't so busy teaching at IPFW by night and frightening small cities by day by pointing out that they could run out of water due to poor planning. :lol:

• 3 months later...

I just learned about UrbanPlanet last weekend while attending a SSP meet in Pittsburgh. I was born in Fort Wayne, raised on a farm south of Bluffton, and moved back here in 1967 and stayed. I live in West Central Neighborhood, probably pretty much the sort of place that Kib was looking for last year.

You're invited to check out my web site. There are recent and older photos around town, and photos from other places, too.

Sorry to be too late to answer Kib's questions, but it's good to find a forum where people want to talk about my town.

I just learned about UrbanPlanet last weekend while attending a SSP meet in Pittsburgh. I was born in Fort Wayne, raised on a farm south of Bluffton, and moved back here in 1967 and stayed. I live in West Central Neighborhood, probably pretty much the sort of place that Kib was looking for last year.

You're invited to check out my web site. There are recent and older photos around town, and photos from other places, too.

Sorry to be too late to answer Kib's questions, but it's good to find a forum where people want to talk about my town.

Archived