• Georgia Coast
    • SC Coast
    • Elsewhere in Fla
    • Elsewhere on Gulf Coast
    • Other (explain please)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family used to go to Daytona Beach a lot, but we've only been once since my grandfather died a few years ago.

As of late, I have found the Georgia & SC coasts and NC's Outer Banks to be great spots to go.

I'm really not sure what to vote on this one yet. I'll have to think about it.

Actually georgia has some excellent beaches along its cost, But if you live in Atlanta and dont want to go far to get some fun in the sun, you can always go to one of the beautiful beaches on lake lanier. when the us army corps decided to expand it with dynamite in the 1950s it formed its own natural islands. there are 4 major ones, one of them has a nice little resort on them. they are nice to visit. This is only 30 min north of Atlanta

^ Right on - most Atlantans drive to Florida. The Georgia coast is worth visiting Savannah or getting a reservation to ferry to Cumberland Island. But with only Tybee, Jekyll & St Simon's (for those that own a home on the island), the options are limited. Besides, the panhandle is just as quick to get to. There are also some that do go to Hilton Head, but those are also in the minority.

For all you Georgians, may I suggest a smaller beach town on Florida's west coast, that is still very natural, yet the tourists "dont know about it" as much, so it stays true to Florida. The town is Englewood, FL. Its about 1/2 hour south of Sarasota.

Its great to just enjoy the beach, and for saltwater fishing enthusiasts. Just 15 mins south (by boat) is world famous Boca Grande, so you can fish down there, and relax in Englewood.

Just a suggestion :)

I am certainly biased having lived on the South Carolina coast for 15 years or so, but the southern end of the Grand Strand has some great locations, beach and otherwise. Debordieu and Pawleys Island have the most charismatic beaches, and perhaps the least populated, and certainly my favorites. Litchfield is not to bad either. The northern end has wider beaches and greater amenities located close to the shore, especially Myrtle Beach, though I never did enjoy spending much time there.

Additionally, the SC coast is easily accessed from or accessible to Charleston, and makes perfect daytrips. I for one have never gone to Florida to the beach, so I may not have much standing ground here, but the locations around many of the beaches seem to be rather bland. I am not so hot on the interior of the state, but coastal SC has some great places.

The outerbanks of NC are nice, but they are hours away from anything.

We have Family in Both Orlando, and Tampa, FL. Normally when we visit, we head to either Cocoa Beach, or Siesta Key. Siesta Key is beautiful if anyone ever vacations in or around Sarasota.

Cocoa Beach is nice too, but stay away from the pier.

I like the Georgia Beaches too, my favorite being Tybee out of the 3 I've been to. (St. Simons and Jekyll Is. are the other 2)

I love St. George. Not much to do, but still very beautiful and tranquil.

Top 10 favorite beaches

10. Panama City

9. Tybee Island

8. Port St. Lucie

7. St. George

6. Destin

5. Jekyll island

4. Cumberland island

3. Crescent beach

2. Grayton beach

1. Miami beach

Archived