Grand Rapids needs doctors

GRDadof3

Two articles out regarding the growing shortage of healthcare workers in the area, especially doctors, where 38% of current physicians will retire in the next 10 years:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4380014

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5450.xml&coll=6

Local experts say the need will not be met by local graduating med students or by the MSU - Med School, but will require out-of-state recruiting. What does this area need to do to attract physicians?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must resist posting picture..... nnngeeerrrrkkk!!!!!!

gone :stop:

(alright if anyone finds it offensive, GRDad can take it down :P)

On a more serious note, I think the best thing to attract doctors is nice facilities, and a stable paycheck. With all the construction going on in hospitality right now here in GR, theres a good chance good doctors will be coming to GR.

On a more serious note, I think the best thing to attract doctors is nice facilities, and a stable paycheck. With all the construction going on in hospitality right now here in GR, theres a good chance good doctors will be coming to GR.

I wouldn't think a stable paycheck would be that high of a priority, because they have skills that are in demand no matter where they live. This might be where the "cool cities" initiative would come into play. From their perspective, they could work anywhere, what makes our area more attractive than others around the country? Anyways, that is my perspective.

It's going to take more than a stable paycheck and nice facilities, especially if the demand increases throughout the country over the next 10 years. It's going to take state of the art facilities, opportunities for doctors to work with other elite peers in the industry, a diverse and vibrant city, and a multitude of housing options (not just a home in EGR). There is an advantage for downtown living, considering that most of the hospitals have a maximum distance radius that doctors can live from the hospitals for on-call. Which I hear was one of the negatives that doctors were feeling when Metropolitan Hospital moved out to the South Beltline/Wyoming. Too far from EGR.

It's going to take more than a stable paycheck and nice facilities, especially if the demand increases throughout the country over the next 10 years. It's going to take state of the art facilities, opportunities for doctors to work with other elite peers in the industry, a diverse and vibrant city, and a multitude of housing options (not just a home in EGR). There is an advantage for downtown living, considering that most of the hospitals have a maximum distance radius that doctors can live from the hospitals for on-call. Which I hear was one of the negatives that doctors were feeling when Metropolitan Hospital moved out to the South Beltline/Wyoming. Too far from EGR.

I think GR is getting the facilities, some of which are getting high marks. The Med School should also help, as it brings a certain level of academic knowledge that doctors can look to when they need it. Riverhouse and Icon are the beginning, I imagine there will be 2-3 more similar projects coming downtown. GR is doing everything right to attract good doctors to the city. The ONLY THING that Grand Rapids might want to work on is After-Hours entertainment.

I agree snoogit. I also think that GR needs to do more to add a bit of diversity (specialized retailers, restaurants, etc..). My daughter goes to a specialized practice at Spectrum, and half the physicians are from out of the country. In fact, the one Doctor we really liked, who we think was from Sudan, has moved on to work at Loyola :( That may be what happens is that if there is a shortage of Physicians across the country, then recruitment will go overseas. These newcomers need to feel accepted in the community (even if they are not Christians :angry: )

I agree snoogit. I also think that GR needs to do more to add a bit of diversity (specialized retailers, restaurants, etc..). My daughter goes to a specialized practice at Spectrum, and half the physicians are from out of the country. In fact, the one Doctor we really liked, who we think was from Sudan, has moved on to work at Loyola :( That may be what happens is that if there is a shortage of Physicians across the country, then recruitment will go overseas. These newcomers need to feel accepted in the community (even if they are not Christians :angry: )

If he was sudanese, I wouldnt think the local religion would be a problem. But the lack of real good entertainment opportunities for foreign-born citizens is extremely lacking.

If he was sudanese, I wouldnt think the local religion would be a problem. But the lack of real good entertainment opportunities for foreign-born citizens is extremely lacking.

I'm not saying for him necessarily, and I'm not saying that's why he left. :dontknow: But I think we need to embrace diversity, as others have mentioned, or we'll never grow as a community (hint hint Kenowa Hills <_< ).

I'm not saying for him necessarily, and I'm not saying that's why he left. :dontknow: But I think we need to embrace diversity, as others have mentioned, or we'll never grow as a community (hint hint Kenowa Hills <_< ).

:blush: I have no idea what your talking about, but then again, I never did connect with the area that much.

:blush: I have no idea what your talking about, but then again, I never did connect with the area that much.

I was referring to the Kenowa Hills School Board letter that went out around Christmas. I shouldn't have brought it up, but the past week of letters to the editor are making me ill. :sick: Let's just say we all need to stop assuming that everyone else IS or SHOULD be the same.

That's not directed at you snoogit.

I was referring to the Kenowa Hills School Board letter that went out around Christmas. I shouldn't have brought it up, but the past week of letters to the editor are making me ill. :sick: Let's just say we all need to stop assuming that everyone else IS or SHOULD be the same.

That's not directed at you snoogit.

Oh yeahhhhh heh my how I forget things, don't worry I was pretty angry at that too.

Archived