Lafayette

bigboyz05

2 Large I-10 Projects possible for Lafayette

One is the Super Target yall have talked about on this tread near Louisiana Ave ? The other at the NW Quadrant of I-10 & I-49

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2870181.html

Thanks for posting that article. The O&S Holdings development was front page news for a couple of days, but then disappeared. I'm glad to see both projects are moving forward. I know there was some kind of controversy for the Super Target about using some road that backed up to the development. I hope that gets settled.

The best quote from the article was this:

• 1 month later...

Well, the front is occupied by Bonefish Grill, Broken Egg Cafe, Jos. A Banks, Ann Taylor Loft, and possibly a Borders Bookstore among other national chains. The part you see is probably more smaller shops and offices. There will also be a Fresh Market Grocery adjacent to the development.

Well, the front is occupied by Bonefish Grill, Broken Egg Cafe, Jos. A Banks, Ann Taylor Loft, and possibly a Borders Bookstore among other national chains. The part you see is probably more smaller shops and offices. There will also be a Fresh Market Grocery adjacent to the development.

That's great, it sounds and looks like a great development. I'll need to check it out the next time I'm over in Lafayette.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope they're able to come up with something better than roundabouts in high-traffic areas. Many cities, as time goes on, try to get rid of roundabouts left over from their days as small towns. It's not every day you see cities trying to develop roundabouts.

From the article:

The Federal Highway Administration has agreed to start funding roundabouts with 100 percent federal funding, Tramel said.

States such as New York require planners to first consider building all new intersections as a roundabout before settling for an intersection run by a traffic signal, Tramel said.

I think they could do wonders in the areas where they are proposed.

From the article:

The Federal Highway Administration has agreed to start funding roundabouts with 100 percent federal funding, Tramel said.

States such as New York require planners to first consider building all new intersections as a roundabout before settling for an intersection run by a traffic signal, Tramel said.

I think they could do wonders in the areas where they are proposed.

Weird. I hate those damned things.

But then again, I haven't been in those areas of Lafayette where they're proposed.

Not knocking Lafayette, but if they proposed those merry-go-rounds for Shreveport, I'd be at the City Council meeting raising all kinds of hell. They're a mess usually.

I can see, however, why some cities would require them before settling on traffic lights, due to the cost of the signals.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Weird. I hate those damned things.

But then again, I haven't been in those areas of Lafayette where they're proposed.

Not knocking Lafayette, but if they proposed those merry-go-rounds for Shreveport, I'd be at the City Council meeting raising all kinds of hell. They're a mess usually.

I can see, however, why some cities would require them before settling on traffic lights, due to the cost of the signals.

Well, the roundabouts proposed are mainly for intersections of two lane roads that currently have four way stops. If they were major thoroughfares I might raise an eyebrow, although the concept of intersections that constantly flow seems to be taking off. That intersection in Baton Rouge on Airline Hwy. has been a success, I forget what the term for it is.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they pan out, if they are ever built in the first place.

Well, the roundabouts proposed are mainly for intersections of two lane roads that currently have four way stops. If they were major thoroughfares I might raise an eyebrow, although the concept of intersections that constantly flow seems to be taking off. That intersection in Baton Rouge on Airline Hwy. has been a success, I forget what the term for it is.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they pan out, if they are ever built in the first place.

That intersection in Baton Rouge was interesting, no doubt. It was definitely unconventional, but it certainly seems to be working.

Anyway, I didn't want you to think I was bashing Lafayette, but just throwing out that I typically try to avoid driving through those things in cities and towns that have them. Alexandria has one in their downtown area.

I do hope they work out in Lafayette, but if not I hope they're at least able to do temporarily.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

• 3 weeks later...

Academy bets big on city

Lafayette store will be largest in chain

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../608060354/1046

The Academy store on Johnston often posts the highest sales numbers of any location in the 89-store chain, said Carl Main, vice president of marketing and advertising for Academy. The company has stores throughout the Southeast, including Houston, Dallas and New Orleans. The privately-held company would not release sales figures by store, but last year, Academy stores had $1.9 billion in sales, Main said.

Lafayette's new store will be the largest in the chain. The store has hired about 80 more employees, almost doubling the staff.

"I think that is just a testimonial to how much we like Lafayette and how well the store is doing," Main said.

Announcement may mean jobs

Blanco, state officials to be here Monday

http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../608060333/1002

Gov. Kathleen Blanco and several state officials will be in Lafayette on Monday for an announcement that could signal the creation of a significant number of jobs in the city.

Details of the announcement are being kept closely guarded, but according to a statement from the Lafayette Economic Development Authority, Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc and Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Michael Olivier both are expected to be at the announcement.

Roderick Hawkins, Blanco's deputy press secretary, said it would be "a significant economic development for the area."

Edited by breaux

Academy bets big on city

Lafayette store will be largest in chain

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../608060354/1046

The Academy store on Johnston often posts the highest sales numbers of any location in the 89-store chain, said Carl Main, vice president of marketing and advertising for Academy. The company has stores throughout the Southeast, including Houston, Dallas and New Orleans. The privately-held company would not release sales figures by store, but last year, Academy stores had $1.9 billion in sales, Main said.

Lafayette's new store will be the largest in the chain. The store has hired about 80 more employees, almost doubling the staff.

"I think that is just a testimonial to how much we like Lafayette and how well the store is doing," Main said.

Might as well. There is no competition in Lafayette from Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or any other large-scale sporting goods store that I know of. Correct me if I'm wrong there. And with Lafayette being so big on outdoors, this move by Academy doesn't surprise me. I'd like to see the completed store, because until now the largest Academy store I have seen is in Houston, and from the freeway it looks VERY large.

Might as well. There is no competition in Lafayette from Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or any other large-scale sporting goods store that I know of. Correct me if I'm wrong there. And with Lafayette being so big on outdoors, this move by Academy doesn't surprise me. I'd like to see the completed store, because until now the largest Academy store I have seen is in Houston, and from the freeway it looks VERY large.

You're right. It does make perfect sense as Academy has no competition outside of a few small, local stores. Lafayette is a haven for sportsmen, and I do find it a little odd that Academy is the only major retailer that is capitalizing, but I guess they know more than I do.

At any rate, the new Academy is very big. It's going to slow traffic down on Ambassador Caffery even more (as is the new extremely large Kohl's, whatever Kohl's is).

And I know that getting a new Academy isn't that big of a deal, but it's been slow on here lately. :wacko:

You're right. It does make perfect sense as Academy has no competition outside of a few small, local stores. Lafayette is a haven for sportsmen, and I do find it a little odd that Academy is the only major retailer that is capitalizing, but I guess they know more than I do.

At any rate, the new Academy is very big. It's going to slow traffic down on Ambassador Caffery even more (as is the new extremely large Kohl's, whatever Kohl's is).

And I know that getting a new Academy isn't that big of a deal, but it's been slow on here lately. :wacko:

:lol: Kohl's is a very well-known department store. You'll love it. Texarkana and Shreveport both have Kohl's stores coming soon as well, so it's relatively new to the small and mid-size cities in this region.

Great to see the Academy will be so large... I hope to see it next time I'm down in that region. I love Academy, so I'd feel right at home in their largest store! ;)

:lol: Kohl's is a very well-known department store. You'll love it. Texarkana and Shreveport both have Kohl's stores coming soon as well, so it's relatively new to the small and mid-size cities in this region.

Great to see the Academy will be so large... I hope to see it next time I'm down in that region. I love Academy, so I'd feel right at home in their largest store! ;)

I'm very leary of stores like Kohl's. They expand and expand and then fall on hard times and their stores sit vacant on prime real estate, not to mention the obscenely large parking lots which cause so much runoff.

The Super K-Mart in Lafayette sat vacant for what seems like an eternity. I think they're just now trying to redevelop that site.

If the store doesn't go belly-up it will be outdated in twenty years and they will need to build another one, once again leaving their old site vacant.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of these box retailers? No regard for the well being of a community. Slap up a cinder-block superstore and let the chips fall where they may. I don't really mind Academy since they have thrived in their old location and are expanding due to our thriving sports culture. But Kohl's? There is a Bed Bath and Beyond right down the street, a Ross' Dress for Less across the street, not to mention a Super Target right across the street and a Sam's Club and a Super Wal-Mart not two miles down Amb. Caffery. There is also a largely vacant shopping center about a half-mile down the street which used to be anchored by a Winn Dixie. Why couldn't Kohl's retrofit that structure (or Academy for that matter)?

Whew. Felt good to get that off my chest! :silly:

Edited by breaux

I'm very leary of stores like Kohl's. They expand and expand and then fall on hard times and their stores sit vacant on prime real estate, not to mention the obscenely large parking lots which cause so much runoff.

The Super K-Mart in Lafayette sat vacant for what seems like an eternity. I think they're just now trying to redevelop that site.

If the store doesn't go belly-up it will be outdated in twenty years and they will need to build another one, once again leaving their old site vacant.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of these box retailers? No regard for the well being of a community. Slap up a cinder-block superstore and let the chips fall where they may. I don't really mind Academy since they have thrived in their old location and are expanding due to our thriving sports culture. But Kohl's? There is a Bed Bath and Beyond right down the street, a Ross' Dress for Less across the street, not to mention a Super Target right across the street and a Sam's Club and a Super Wal-Mart not two miles down Amb. Caffery. There is also a largely vacant shopping center about a half-mile down the street which used to be anchored by a Winn Dixie. Why couldn't Kohl's retrofit that structure (or Academy for that matter)?

Whew. Felt good to get that off my chest! :silly:

Agreed. Believe me, I know what you mean. One of the biggest problems with retail these days is that when these big chains close stores, they just leave them. All the department stores in the old South Park Mall, South Park Mall itself, numerous old Sam's Club and Wal-Mart locations, old K-Mart locations... the list goes on and on.

I will say, one thing that really surprised me was that Shreveport's Eastgate Shopping Center fell on hard times and lost tenant after tenant until it finally was dead. The main losses were Service Merchandise and K-Mart, and as you know, both of those chains almost went belly-up and closed tons of stores nationwide. However, since that part of Shreveport was revitalized, and all these new shopping centers were built, the retailers began looking for more space. So Eastgate was bought up and remodeled. Now the old K-Mart building houses a Belk, the old Service Merchandise houses a Hobby Lobby, the old Kroger houses a Ross, and the old movie theater houses a Haverty's. This is a good example of what CAN be done. The reality, however, is that this is a rarity in the world of retail today and was only done because the retailers wanted to locate along that stretch of road and had nowhere else to go.

The thing about Kohl's is that they're a department store but they typically seem to like to construct their own buildings. I don't know why, but they seem to be rarely found in shopping malls. They do, however, tend to locate near large shopping malls. I also wonder why Kohl's couldn't renovate something in the area you mentioned and move into something existing.

Tax eyed to fund Lafayette courthouse

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/3503931.html

Current Lafayette Parish courthouse:

courthouse-001.gif

Any new courthouse would certainly have a great impact on the Downtown area, and would probably impact the skyline as well. The current courthouse is seven stories, a new one would probably have to be taller. I'm not sure about the footprints of the current district court house compared to the old federal court house though. I also have done work in the courthouse and know people who can attest to it's antiquity.

I will definitely be voting yes for the new courthouse, and the sales tax hike for new roads.