Lafayette

bigboyz05

More good news for Lafayette ! :good: It's good to see they will get use of the Northgate Mall by renovating the large Service Merchandise Bldg.

You're not kidding. I was just ranting about box retailers who go belly up and their stores remain vacant for extended periods of time. I'm not quite sure what this means for the Northgate Mall. I know that their Montgomery Ward was turned into a Home Depot, and there is an Albertson's. None of those are typical "mall" anchors, so I wouldn't imagine the mall will see a big retail resurgence, but I don't know.

Certainly it will be a great infusion for a mall that probably could have been listed as "dead". I'm ashamed to say I haven't been in it that I remember (maybe as a small child), but there was no reason for me to go. This will also bring a large number of jobs to a lagging part of town, and hopefully the workers will choose to live and play on the northside so that further re-development will ensue. With the Super Target anchored shopping center at the Louisiana Ave. exit, the Couret Place TND at the I-10/I-49 intersection, and if the O&S lifestyle center gets off the ground, there will be a real northside renaissance.

Looks like this call center will be to Lafayette what US Support's call center is to Shreveport. Do you guys have many call centers down there? That seems to have become kind of a trend here, with the largest being US Support, Alltel, and CenturyTekl. I believe you guys have a Cingular call center if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure I've spoken to someone in the Lafayette Cingular call center.

Also, it really looks like north Lafayette really is in for some growth. Now there will be something to see and do right off I-10. That will be a huge plus for that area.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

• 1 month later...

Developments Downtown

The Juliet

The Juliet, a boutique hotel is currently under construction at the corner of Jefferson and Lee Avenue. An adaptive re-use of the existing building at that location (historically known in Lafayette as the former La Parisienne Store), the facility will include 20 rooms on the second floor with a commercial retail ground floor. Renovations are anticipated to be completed in the next few months with an opening by year-end 2006.

Hilton Homewood Suites and the Pinnacle Condominiums

Representing a major new infill construction, this commercial-residential mixed use project is being planned for a site located on Lafayette Street adjacent to the federal courthouse and across from the Parish library. The facility will be an 8-story building with an active ground floor ancillary to the hotel, 6 floors of rooms and suites, and 2 floors of residential condos. The hotel component will be an upscale Hilton Homewood Suites. The condo component is presented as The Pinnacle. LTPB, LLC is the development group for the project. At this time, plans are complete, site has been cleared and marketing of the Pinnacle Condos is underway, with a construction launch possible before year-end 2006.

Parkview Tower

Plans are currently being developed for a residential condominium project in the 500 block of Jefferson Street, adjacent to the Parc de Lafayette. Another infill, new construction of mixed uses, the project is proposed to include a commercial ground floor food-oriented/retail uses with 5 floors of residential one and two-bedroom units above.

CDT, Cecil D. Trahan, is the owner/developer of the project which is currently in the planning and marketing phase of Parkview Tower.

St. John Street Development

Walls Properties L.L.C. is in the programming stages of a Mixed use Development on the corner of St. John and Convent Streets which includes 10-15 individual Loft-Style living areas for sale, 3-6 Loft-Style living areas for rent, +/- 3000 S.F. building shell 1st floor for lease and +/- 3000 S.F. building shell 2nd floor for lease for commercial use. Design development is scheduled for October 2006. Construction is tentatively scheduled for winter 2007-Spring 2008.

The Parkview Tower has already been mentioned, as has the Hilton Homewood Suites (although it is now three stories taller than before.) We'll see what the St. John Street development looks like soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought SuddenLink bought Cox? Maybe not... but our Cox in Bossier recently became SuddenLink, and Shreveport's Time Warner became Comcast. Nice building, though... very nice. Cox must serve that entire region with no competition, because that's a pretty big building.

Cox is still around in both Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

Cox is still around in both Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

Ours must have just changed hands like Shreveport's did. I've never understood why Shreveport has a different cable company than Bossier City, but it's always been that way. I really liked Cox, and I still have a Cox email address... I don't know why ours is now called SuddenLink.

Academy bets big on city

Lafayette store will be largest in chain

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../608060354/1046

The Academy store on Johnston often posts the highest sales numbers of any location in the 89-store chain, said Carl Main, vice president of marketing and advertising for Academy. The company has stores throughout the Southeast, including Houston, Dallas and New Orleans. The privately-held company would not release sales figures by store, but last year, Academy stores had $1.9 billion in sales, Main said.

Lafayette's new store will be the largest in the chain. The store has hired about 80 more employees, almost doubling the staff.

"I think that is just a testimonial to how much we like Lafayette and how well the store is doing," Main said.

Announcement may mean jobs

Blanco, state officials to be here Monday

http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../608060333/1002

Gov. Kathleen Blanco and several state officials will be in Lafayette on Monday for an announcement that could signal the creation of a significant number of jobs in the city.

Details of the announcement are being kept closely guarded, but according to a statement from the Lafayette Economic Development Authority, Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc and Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Michael Olivier both are expected to be at the announcement.

Roderick Hawkins, Blanco's deputy press secretary, said it would be "a significant economic development for the area."

By the way, that is a HUGE Academy store! I'm not sure about the square footage of the south Shreveport store, but the north Bossier store that's supposed to open next year is only going to be about 88,000 square feet including the boat sales area. This Lafayette store is about 1.5x that size... wow.

Hi all! I'm new here to UrbanPlanet, but I have been lurking awhile. I live in Lafayette, and I wanted to comment on some new developments in the metro area that haven't been mentioned yet.

1) New Broussard Retail & Commercial Projects

Broussard is a suburb on the southeast side of Lafayette. As of the 2005 Census estimate, Broussard had 6,754 residents. New businesses locating in Broussard include: Super Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Walgreen's, Ruby Tuesday, Chili's, a bowling alley, a 15 acre water park, a Best Western, and a franchise of one of the Hilton hotel brands.

2) Sugar Mill Pond

Sugar Mill Pond is a traditional neighborhood development being developed by the same people as River Ranch. It is located in Youngsville, another suburb of Lafayette. Phase One is already under construction with some residents already moved in. Phase one is 509 acres. At build out, Sugar Mill Pond is planned to have 2,000 single family home. If the average of 2.4 residents per home is applied to that, the population is expected to be approximately 4,800 people. There will be a commercial component to Sugar Mill Pond that is expected to have a Subway restaurant, a major grocer, and other tenants. A Christian high school is also expected to locate in Sugar Mill Pond.

3) Acadiana Lifestyle Center

This is one of two lifestyle centers under construction in Lafayette. This one is located in the southern portion of Lafayette. It is a redevelopment of a shopping center that was in decline. The current tenants are: Pippin McGee (a boutique children's furniture store), Chase Bank, a Ramada Inn, and a Subway. The only other tenant announced thus far is a Residence Inn by Marriott.

4) Other Hotels Under Construction in Lafayette

Lafayette has many more hotels under construction. On Evangeline Thruway, a Howard Johnson hotel and an independent hotel is planned. Off of Kaliste Saloom, a Candlewood Suites (owned by Intercontinental Hotels) is planned across from River Ranch. On the Vermilion River near the Hilton, a Fairfield Inn (Lafayette's second) is being built. According to Lafayette real estate agents, there are three different companies considering hotels along Kaliste Saloom Rd.

5) Stirling Lafayette Shopping Center

There has been talk about this shopping center in this thread, but there has been some recent developments. According to the ePackage on Stirling Properties' website, most of the shopping center is filled with tenants already. Those tenants include: Target, JCPenney, Lane Bryant/Cacique, Maurice's, Hibbett Sports, Ross Dress for Less, Rack Room Shoes, Marshall's, Old Navy, GameStop, Cingular, Quizno's, Guitar Center, Office Depot, Petco, Starbucks, Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, Capital One Bank, and Chili's. The Target, JCPenney, Lane Bryant, Ross, Rack Room Shoes, Hibbett, Marshall's, Old Navy, GameStop, Cingular, Quizno's, Office Depot, Starbucks, Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, Capital One, and Chili's are Lafayette's second or more location(s). Guitar Center, Maurice's, and Petco would all be new to the Lafayette market.

And I'm sure there will be more developments to come!

Hi all! I'm new here to UrbanPlanet, but I have been lurking awhile. I live in Lafayette, and I wanted to comment on some new developments in the metro area that haven't been mentioned yet.

1) New Broussard Retail & Commercial Projects

Broussard is a suburb on the southeast side of Lafayette. As of the 2005 Census estimate, Broussard had 6,754 residents. New businesses locating in Broussard include: Super Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Walgreen's, Ruby Tuesday, Chili's, a bowling alley, a 15 acre water park, a Best Western, and a franchise of one of the Hilton hotel brands.

2) Sugar Mill Pond

Sugar Mill Pond is a traditional neighborhood development being developed by the same people as River Ranch. It is located in Youngsville, another suburb of Lafayette. Phase One is already under construction with some residents already moved in. Phase one is 509 acres. At build out, Sugar Mill Pond is planned to have 2,000 single family home. If the average of 2.4 residents per home is applied to that, the population is expected to be approximately 4,800 people. There will be a commercial component to Sugar Mill Pond that is expected to have a Subway restaurant, a major grocer, and other tenants. A Christian high school is also expected to locate in Sugar Mill Pond.

3) Acadiana Lifestyle Center

This is one of two lifestyle centers under construction in Lafayette. This one is located in the southern portion of Lafayette. It is a redevelopment of a shopping center that was in decline. The current tenants are: Pippin McGee (a boutique children's furniture store), Chase Bank, a Ramada Inn, and a Subway. The only other tenant announced thus far is a Residence Inn by Marriott.

4) Other Hotels Under Construction in Lafayette

Lafayette has many more hotels under construction. On Evangeline Thruway, a Howard Johnson hotel and an independent hotel is planned. Off of Kaliste Saloom, a Candlewood Suites (owned by Intercontinental Hotels) is planned across from River Ranch. On the Vermilion River near the Hilton, a Fairfield Inn (Lafayette's second) is being built. According to Lafayette real estate agents, there are three different companies considering hotels along Kaliste Saloom Rd.

5) Stirling Lafayette Shopping Center

There has been talk about this shopping center in this thread, but there has been some recent developments. According to the ePackage on Stirling Properties' website, most of the shopping center is filled with tenants already. Those tenants include: Target, JCPenney, Lane Bryant/Cacique, Maurice's, Hibbett Sports, Ross Dress for Less, Rack Room Shoes, Marshall's, Old Navy, GameStop, Cingular, Quizno's, Guitar Center, Office Depot, Petco, Starbucks, Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, Capital One Bank, and Chili's. The Target, JCPenney, Lane Bryant, Ross, Rack Room Shoes, Hibbett, Marshall's, Old Navy, GameStop, Cingular, Quizno's, Office Depot, Starbucks, Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, Capital One, and Chili's are Lafayette's second or more location(s). Guitar Center, Maurice's, and Petco would all be new to the Lafayette market.

And I'm sure there will be more developments to come!

Nice list... and welcome to Urban Planet, cajunguy!

That's quite a list of stores coming to Broussard, having less than 7,000 people. But I realize that's just the population of the town itself and not the trade area surrounding it.

And the Stirling Lafayette center is going to be very nice, and a welcome addition to north Lafayette.

Again, welcome to UP... it's great to have more representation from Lafayette. You will become addicted to UP and you'll want to share with us ALL the new developments in Lafayette. :)

• 1 month later...

There are pretty many new developments around Lafayette:

--Jos. A. Banks opened a store in The Market at River Ranch in November.

--Ann Taylor LOFT will be opening their store in The Market at River Ranch later this month.

--A new assisted living facility is planned to open in 2008 for River Ranch (I would guess that it would be somewhat upscale given the area)

--The Inn at River Ranch, a luxury boutique hotel, is planned to open in early 2008.

--The Fresh Market is scheduled to open in River Ranch in Spring 2007.

--Another Broken Egg Cafe is slated to open in River Ranch later this month.

--A Borders Books is possibly opening in River Ranch next to The Fresh Market in River Ranch as shown on Stirling Properties' e-Package for The Market at River Ranch.

--The Backpacker, an outdoor retail store based in Baton Rouge, will soon start construction on an 8,000 square foot store in River Ranch.

--W. House and Home, a furniture retailer out of Slidell, is planned to open in The Market at River Ranch.

--A new Holiday Inn Express is under construction off of I-10 in Scott.

--Barnie's Coffee out of Orlando is currently planned to open in downtown Lafayette.

--A downtown boutique hotel, The Juliet, should be open by January.

--Backyard Burgers recently opened their first restaurant in Lafayette last month off of Ambassador Caffery Pkwy. It is one of two planned locations, with the other location being undisclosed.

--Simply Fondue, a restaurant concept out of Dallas, is finishing up design plans for a restaurant in downtown.

So far, those are the only developments that I know of, but with the rapid population growth the Lafayette Metro Area has been seeing, I'm sure there will be more.

Edited by cajunguy

There are pretty many new developments around Lafayette:

--Jos. A. Banks opened a store in The Market at River Ranch in November.

--Ann Taylor LOFT will be opening their store in The Market at River Ranch later this month.

--A new assisted living facility is planned to open in 2008 for River Ranch (I would guess that it would be somewhat upscale given the area)

--The Inn at River Ranch, a luxury boutique hotel, is planned to open in early 2008.

--The Fresh Market is scheduled to open in River Ranch in Spring 2007.

--Another Broken Egg Cafe is slated to open in River Ranch later this month.

--A Borders Books is possibly opening in River Ranch next to The Fresh Market in River Ranch as shown on Stirling Properties' e-Package for The Market at River Ranch.

--The Backpacker, an outdoor retail store based in Baton Rouge, will soon start construction on an 8,000 square foot store in River Ranch.

--W. House and Home, a furniture retailer out of Slidell, is planned to open in The Market at River Ranch.

--A new Holiday Inn Express is under construction off of I-10 in Scott.

--Barnie's Coffee out of Orlando is currently planned to open in downtown Lafayette.

--A downtown boutique hotel, The Juliet, should be open by January.

--Backyard Burgers recently opened their first restaurant in Lafayette last month off of Ambassador Caffery Pkwy. It is one of two planned locations, with the other location being undisclosed.

--Simply Fondue, a restaurant concept out of Dallas, is finishing up design plans for a restaurant in downtown.

So far, those are the only developments that I know of, but with the rapid population growth the Lafayette Metro Area has been seeing, I'm sure there will be more.

That's great to hear... all of it! And Backyard Burgers is great eating!! :)

Also, Simply Fondue sounded cool so I just checked their website. Awesome... I'm jealous! :P Looks like that chain is expanding out. They've opened a location in California and will soon open locations in OKC, St. Louis, Austin, and Peurto Rico!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Youngsville will hold a large town meeting to help decide whether to accept an offer from Sugar Mill Pond to donate a new City Hall in the large TND. Sugar Mill Pond is being developed by the same developers of the successful River Ranch in Lafayette. Youngsville is a fast growing(suburb) town just south of Lafayette.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/acadiana/5735711.html

This is one huge development; 509-acres

http://www.sugarmillpond.com/

mpmapleftuh6.jpg

hmphotozb6.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a few new things happening iaround Lafayette. It almost seems like new projects never stop!

--Rouse's Grocery is building their first grocery store in Lafayette Parish in Sugar Mill Pond. I believe it's going to be around 60,000 square feet.

--Raising Cane's is building their third restaurant off of Kaliste Saloom and Pinhook in Lafayette.

--Dagwood's Sandwich Shoppe is opening a location in the Market at River Ranch.

--Towneplace Suites by Marriott is supposedly building a hotel in Lafayette per a hotel development site.

--A Fairfield Inn & Suites (2nd Lafayette Fairfield) opened this month on the Vermilion River.

--A chain value hotel is building on the northside of town off of Ambassador Caffery.

--Hemline, a women's clothing store from New Orleans, is opening up in the Market at River Ranch.

Also, Stirling Properties left the Phase II plan of their Stirling Lafayette Center on their website (I guess accidentally) for like 3 days. It showed a Kohl's (it would be our second), a Belk (it would be our first), and Best Buy (it would be our second.)

On a side note, the parish population finally surpassed 200,000! As of the 2006 Census Estimate, we have 203,091 people.

Thanks for the update cajunguy :thumbsup: It always good to hear what's going on in Lafayette.

I put Lafayette's major media (TV) stations in La.Media thread for yall.

It would be cool for someone to build a nice 8-story mid-rise condo on the Vermillion.

I know Lafayette' s street flow is chaotic like BR's is. I read where they are looking to widen some roads. BR's GreenLight program is a great start for BR; maybe Mayor Durel can get something like that for Lafayette. The $prices of cement/construction have gotten "jacked-up" since the hurricanes. No end in sight to the $price increase??

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update cajunguy :thumbsup: It always good to hear what's going on in Lafayette.

I put Lafayette's major media (TV) stations in La.Media thread for yall.

It would be cool for someone to build a nice 8-story mid-rise condo on the Vermillion.

I know Lafayette' s street flow is chaotic like BR's is. I read where they are looking to widen some roads. BR's GreenLight program is a great start for BR; maybe Mayor Durel can get something like that for Lafayette. The $prices of cement/construction have gotten "jacked-up" since the hurricanes. No end in sight to the $price increase??

A mid-rise condo on the Vermillion would be nice, but I really don't think there's much of a condo market in Lafayette. Some very nice and very promising condo developments haven't gotten off the ground yet, except in River Ranch. Lafayette Seems content to keep expanding outward, with no regard for the problems of urban sprawl. It's sad really, because the problems caused by sprawl are quite evident an hour east on I-10, yet no one really seems to care. Much of Baton Rouge is beautiful, but we don't need the traffic headaches they have there. Lafayette should really work to employ smart growth now, before we double in size as projected (when it will be too late).

As for Lafayette's roads, Durel proposed a tax to fund road improvements but the parish has a profound dislike and distrust of the council, and of taxes, so they voted it down. I found that to be ridiculous considering the horrible state of our roads both congestion-wise and just in their physical condition. Without a tax increase, we'll be stuck making improvements one-by-one, at a rate I'm sure will be much slower than the demand for new roads as the city grows.

Also, I will add that Lafayette was named as one of the 10 best cities for the "creative class" in the south, with other cities such as Austin, TX and Atlanta, GA on the list (Lafayette was the smallest city on the list), it says a lot about the culture in our city. I posted a link, but apparently violated the policy of this site so if you want to read about it google it.

Edited by breaux

Lafayette Seems content to keep expanding outward, with no regard for the problems of urban sprawl. It's sad really, because the problems caused by sprawl are quite evident an hour east on I-10, yet no one really seems to care. Much of Baton Rouge is beautiful, but we don't need the traffic headaches they have there. Lafayette should really work to employ smart growth now, before we double in size as projected (when it will be too late).

Every city has sprawl problems, but Lafayette pioneered the "traditional neighborhood" in Louisiana with River Ranch. Baton Rouge has a half dozen or so types of traditional developments around, but River Ranch is an entire portion of the city. Baton Rouge's traffic problems are as much caused by poor development as it is by inadequate infrastructure. Most of the largest tracts of land have been taken, so developments are getting smaller with less planning...that combined with the fact that Baton Rouge is probably massive compared to lafayette when you take into account commuter distances, etc.

Lafayette is having the same problem, but River Ranch is definately counteracting that sort of thing. It's still not built out...as that happens, it will keep sprawl in check until someone else comes along and does another TND.

It's a good start.

Any idea when they will be making HWY 90 a freeway?

Edited by brresident