Lafayette

bigboyz05

Lafayette also has a great culture and atmosphere that certain young people love. It probably keeps more of it's graduates than any other city in Louisiana.

Shreveport lacks that culture, it lacks a major university that could help spur that growth, and lacks the necessary leadership and vision. 

What do you mean by Shreveport has potential? I believe every city has a bit of potential but where do you see potential?

I agree about Lafayette, it feels like a very small city on street level but it's larger than Shreveport and will soon be twice it's size. Lafayette really reminds me of an Austin, I just hope to God that it doesn't turn into what Austin is now.

I think the proximity to New Orleans and Baton Rouge have also aided in Lafayette's growth. I'm with you on the Austin thing, but surprisingly as an outsider I find Baton Rouge has an even stronger youthful vibe similar to Austin. 

I see Shreveport's potential in it becoming a nice northern city, the city lack everything you said and as an effect I would never want to live there. The city could have better Urban Planning and is essentially a blank canvas to create upon. 

On a very off key note has anyone heard of Stubbenville South? I'm going this year with a youth group and apparently there are rumors that the Alexandria space is becoming too small and that it may be moved to Baton Rouge. If that happens I feel bad for Alexandria, it's probably one of the only big events they have. At the same time it's nice that conferences are moving to Baton Rouge.  

I agree about Lafayette, it feels like a very small city on street level but it's larger than Shreveport and will soon be twice it's size. Lafayette really reminds me of an Austin, I just hope to God that it doesn't turn into what Austin is now.

Shreveport is larger w/ 202,000 than Lafayette w/ 123,000)....I don't count Opelousas (24 miles away) or Morgan City(67 miles away)..in the MSA

Lafayette does have that cultural vibe & is now Louisiana's Round-About capital

Much of Shreveport's new growth is on the SE area of the city; Lafayette's new growth on the SW area....

Mr. Bernham...Never heard of Stubbenville South....driving on I-49 Alexandria(w exception of one of the 10-story bldgs.) looks like you stepped way back into a 50 year time warp.

Edited by richyb83

Shreveport is larger w/ 202,000 than Lafayette w/ 123,000)....I don't count Opelousas (24 miles away) or Morgan City(67 miles away)..in the MSA

Lafayette does have that cultural vibe & is now Louisiana's Round-About capital

Much of Shreveport's new growth is on the SE area of the city; Lafayette's new growth on the SW area....

Mr. Bernham...Never heard of Stubbenville South....driving on I-49 Alexandria(w exception of one of the 10-story bldgs.) looks like you stepped way back into a 50 year time warp.

St. Landry Parish (Opelousas) might be in the MSA by 2020,

• 2 months later...

Bell Helicopter breaks ground on La. assembly center

With assembly operations of a new helicopter line expected to begin at the Lafayette Regional Airport by 2016, Bell Helicopter today announced the start of construction of its Lafayette Aircraft Assembly Center that is expected to create 115 new direct jobs. Gov. Bobby Jindal joined company officials at the Lafayette airport this afternoon to make the announcement. Jindal and Bell officials originally announced the company's plans for the Lafayette project in December.

The 82,300-square-foot, $26.3 million assembly center will be funded by the State of Louisiana, owned by Lafayette Regional Airport and leased by Bell. The company will make an additional capital investment of $11.4 million in equipment and tooling at the 14.5-acre airport site, which is adjacent to U.S. 90. Officials say Bell is on schedule to meet an occupancy target of June 2015 for the assembly facility. Hiring is expected to begin in 2015. Along with the new direct jobs, Louisiana Economic Development estimates the project will also create another 136 permanent indirect jobs in the Lafayette area. A new line of helicopters, the Bell 505 JetRanger X, will be built at the facility. Company officials say they've already inked purchase agreements on 200 of the five-seat, single-engine, turbine helicopters. The state is providing Bell with an incentive package that includes performance-based grants of $4 million for lease support, $3.8 million for infrastructure and equipment and $200,000 for relocation expenses. LED has more details on today's annoucement.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM&date=20140827

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Old Evangeline Downs site to become largest FedEx distribution center in the region

The former Evangeline Downs racetrack on Interstate 49 just north of Lafayette will be the site of the largest FedEx Ground distribution facility along Interstate 10 between Houston, Texas, and Jacksonville, Florida.

In a deal that closed earlier this month, Livingston Parish-based Henderson Auctions sold the 40-acre property for $11 million to Saad Development, a Mobile, Alabama-based company that specializes in build-to-suit projects for FedEx and other large, national customers.

Saad Executive Vice President James Saad confirms the company has a contract with FedEx Ground to develop a 235,000-square-foot distribution center that it will then lease back to the shipping giant.

“It will be the biggest one on I-10 and we’re excited to be getting out of the ground,” Saad says. “It’s a fantastic location near the interstate.”

https://www.businessreport.com/article/old-evangeline-downs-site-become-largest-fedex-distribution-center-region

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think a Rock n Bowl similar to the New Orleans location was looking at Broadmoor shopping center for a while when it was being renovated.   

You need a lot of cheap space for a bowling alley.   That doesn't exist in downtown Baton Rouge anymore.   I'm actually surprised they found a place in downtown Lafayette.    I don't think they'll have trouble finding customers.  

Edited by cajun

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CGI to expand into former Mid-South Bank building in downtown Lafayette

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/business/article_a95db370-59d0-11ea-8002-8785282666a4.html#utm_source=email&utm_campaign=ACABusiness&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=headline&uid=02386eaa-4d22-48db-aad7-0698d5251cc7

CGI will expand into the 50,000-square-foot space in the Versailles Centre in downtown Lafayette, officials announced late Thursday.

The global information technology firm signed a lease to move into the former MidSouth Bank space at 102 Versailles Blvd. and eventually increase its total employment to 800, said Will LaBar, vice president of CGI’s U.S. Delivery Center Program. It currently employs 500 at its office at 538 Cajundome Blvd. in the UL Research Park and at a small office on Jefferson Street. 

The move continues a recent trend of tech jobs moving to downtown Lafayette. Golfballs.com moved 10 tech employees to an office on Central Street, and Waitr moved a number of employees to the Lemoine building last year. 

• 4 months later...

Developers behind old federal courthouse want to scrap plans for commercial spaces

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/article_0162ab66-c0d8-11ea-b45a-3f4efeb43a9e.html#utm_source=email&utm_campaign=ACABusiness&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=headline&uid=02386eaa-4d22-48db-aad7-0698d5251cc7

The developers selected to turn the old federal courthouse in downtown Lafayette into commercial space and apartments want to change the project into entirely residential, Miles Matt, chairman of the Downtown Development Authority board, said.

ACA.oldcourthouse.01.070920

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

WOW!   Was surprised ; had Just found out from somebody yesterday Lafayette was supposed to build a new 17 story high-rise!

So i looked it up....BOOM looks like MORE than what i heard!  TWO multi-use  20 Story Towers???   The renderings of the Glass towers look nicer than anything in Baton Rouge!.....   but article from June 25th ...so this is old news!

This will transform the very small almost non existent skyline in downtown Lafayette. The Chase Tower is 15 stories...i think Iberia Bank is 11 or 12 floors??.....the 15 story Doubletree hotel on the Vermillion River is nearly 2 miles south of downtown

https://developinglafayette.com/wp/seven16-lafayette-towers-new-20-floor-multi-use-high-rises-coming-soon-to-downtown-lafayette/

Lafayette's tallest buildings: How do they compare to proposed downtown towers?

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/article_26e41738-d5e2-11eb-b65c-03676487131f.html

A Lafayette developer this week announced plans to build two 20-story high rise towers in downtown Lafayette.

Developer Cliff Guidry with Guidry Land Development unveiled his plans for Seven16 Lafayette Tower, a $140 million, 240,000-square-foot project slated for 716 Lafayette St. next to the federal courthouse, to local commercial real estate agents on Wednesday.

The buildings are slated to be 260 feet high, which would be the tallest buildings in Lafayette, Guidry said.

Here's how the towers would rise over other tall Lafayette landmarks:

DoubleTree by Hilton Lafayette — 198 feet

Chase Tower — 197 feet

Iberia Bank building — 149 feet

Ochsner Lafayette General — 142 feet 

Pinhook Tower, 2014 Pinhook Road — 112 feet

Lafayette 716

img_5539-1-723x1001.jpg

ACA.bizchasetower1.adv

ACA.hghwater83.adv

Edited by richyb83

23 hours ago, richyb83 said:

WOW!   Was surprised ; had Just found out from somebody yesterday Lafayette was supposed to build a new 17 story high-rise!

So i looked it up....BOOM looks like MORE than what i heard!  TWO multi-use  20 Story Towers???   The renderings of the Glass towers look nicer than anything in Baton Rouge!.....   but article from June 25th ...so this is old news!

This will transform the very small almost non existent skyline in downtown Lafayette. The Chase Tower is 15 stories...i think Iberia Bank is 11 or 12 floors??.....the 15 story Doubletree hotel on the Vermillion River is nearly 2 miles south of downtown

https://developinglafayette.com/wp/seven16-lafayette-towers-new-20-floor-multi-use-high-rises-coming-soon-to-downtown-lafayette/

Lafayette's tallest buildings: How do they compare to proposed downtown towers?

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/article_26e41738-d5e2-11eb-b65c-03676487131f.html

A Lafayette developer this week announced plans to build two 20-story high rise towers in downtown Lafayette.

Developer Cliff Guidry with Guidry Land Development unveiled his plans for Seven16 Lafayette Tower, a $140 million, 240,000-square-foot project slated for 716 Lafayette St. next to the federal courthouse, to local commercial real estate agents on Wednesday.

The buildings are slated to be 260 feet high, which would be the tallest buildings in Lafayette, Guidry said.

Lafayette 716

Wow those are nice, I'm happy for them! It's probably been a long time since they've built any towers in Lafayette. Hopefully it actually gets done.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plans for Trappey's riverfront development could include restaurants, hotel, bars

Photos:

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/multimedia/photos/collection_57ce4d60-8744-11eb-b3ba-33329bd022a9.html#1

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/business/article_87d1b4cc-5d11-11ec-b373-6309b7081179.html

Master planning for the redevelopment of the old Trappey’s cannery on the banks of the Vermilion River in Lafayette will start this month, developers announced.

The group behind the development has teamed up with a San Antonio-based architecture firm and design team that have worked across the country for the project, which will include brining the 177,000-square-foot cannery back to life as a mixed-used riverfront development where the river meets the Evangeline Thruway.

The group, which include New Orleans developer/architect Marcel Wiznia and Lafayette architect Stephen Ortego, brought on board Lake Flato, an architecture firm that designed the Pearl District in San Antonio, and OJB, a landscape architecture firm that designed large scale parks including The Park at Lakeshore East in Chicago and the Texas A&M Aggie Park in College Station, Texas.

• 1 month later...

Where have i seen this before??

...Big project ON HOLD...plans scaled back.....Two Towers now plan one smaller one ...demand still there...still wants to build a  High-Rise...so guessing should be at least 12-stories to qualify as a High Rise...

Tower project in downtown Lafayette on hold for now, developer says

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/business/article_5c3c80bc-7ec2-11ec-8b72-c7983decb15f.html

Lafayette 716

• 1 year later...