Lake Charles

bigboyz05

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really havent heard much coming out of Lake Charles since Rita. There are still 20 or 30 thousand people from SW Louisiana living in Lafayette, many of whom plan on staying there.

Pre-Rita Lake Charles was experiencing growth in downtown business and activity, as well as growth in the gaming industry. Though I really have no idea whats going on in the area now. I have a friend who lives in suburban Lake Charles, and when I last talked to him he said most of the development going on was rebuilding homes and buildings that were destroyed or heavily damaged by Hurricane Rita.

I'm going to try to find Lake Charles development news, plans, propositions, etc. I'm actually very interested in whats going on in LC, there has been nearly no news coming out of the city since Rita, so I am now on a quest for Lake Charles news! :lol:

That's great! Thanks for posting this.

No problem, bigboyz. :)

I'm actually very glad you started this topic, along with the Lafayette topic, because I'm hoping that if there is enough news and info about SW Louisiana or the Cajun Country area of Louisiana, we will pick up some new members from those areas. :D

I hope and pray that Lake Charles recovers from Rita soon. The same goes for the N.O. area. That article was interesting. I've only been to Lake Charles once and that was in 1998. I thought it was interesting that they had that one big skyscraper in the middle of downtown. I wonder why only one tower was built. Does this have anything to do with the oil boom/bust of the 80's?

I wonder why only one tower was built. Does this have anything to do with the oil boom/bust of the 80's?

It probably has alot to do with it. I believe there were a few other towers of it's size planned for downtown Lake Charles in the early 80's as well, but were never built.

• 9 months later...
Haven't seen a rendering yet, but here is the article from the Lake Charles American Press

Link

When I passed through Lake Charles last March, I went out of the way to see Pinnacle's L'Auberge du Lac resort. That thing is a monster...

If only they worked with the city and built it near the Civic Center downtown, Hibernia wouldn't be standing alone.

Archived