Development behind Van Andel Arena

GRDadof3

In case there are some plans being drawn up for an entertainment development behind the arena, let's all get our ideas on the table of what to do and what NOT TO DO in that area, in case the powers that be are monitoring our discussions. And if you guys can find pictures to help, that would be great!

If indeed a movie theater complex is being planned, here is what NOT TO DO (not the brand, but the design)!!:

Please do not surround it in a sea of parking lot :angry:

No

Century24.JPG

No

star_theater_grandrapids_big.jpg

No

Mission%20Cinemark.jpg

Please make it urban. Please bury the parking.

Better

cinemarendering1.jpg

Good

11_8_2004_1504714923.jpg

Nice

cinema.jpg

Nice

gaslamp.jpg

If you guys can find more HERE, post em :thumbsup:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case there are some plans being drawn up for an entertainment development behind the arena, let's all get our ideas on the table of what to do and what NOT TO DO in that area, in case the powers that be are monitoring our discussions. And if you guys can find pictures to help, that would be great!

If indeed a movie theater complex is being planned, here is what NOT TO DO (not the brand, but the design)!!:

Don't build it in a manner that results in a big blank box. I know the theaters cant be full of windows, but design it so the theaters are on the interior, or on another floor. The LAST thing we need downtown is another blank wall at street level. :angry:

The Century Theater's in Evanston, IL is a great example of a well-used mixed-use development. The space is along Church St. and sandwiched between the Metra rail and the El.

Century built a 18-screen theater complex (six screens show independant films), street-level includes shopping, including a Wolfgang Puck's Cafe, Urban Outfitters, Cold Stone Creamery, Chili's, Sprint Store, etc.

century1.jpg

It's success can be attributed to design, but also to it's proximity to public transportation (bus, Metra, El). Parking was in an adjacant lot. It spurred development across the street with a Borders Books & Music as well as high-rise multi-family residential.

I would rather have the area stay the way it is than to have a suburban looking movie complex built there. At least with the parking lots now, you know something will eventually get built there. If a suburban complex is built, it is there for the long haul and totally disrupts the synergy downtown.

I agree. Either do it right or don't bother. It doesn't have to be some fancy-pants place, just something that contributes positively to the urban environment and enhances the urban fabric. No blank walls, no huge parking lots, build the buildings out to the street, etc.

As for parking, I suspect a garage would be built. :sick:

All the lots behind the arena are owned by the city now, so if this is true, it must be tied into the city's plans to build a parking ramp at the corner of Ionia and Oakes. Maybe they will sell off some of the surface lots when that happens? Who knows. Great ideas guys!

I hope they still leave room for the arena to expand. I feel that that is an important thing that should happen. It is afterall what supposeably kick started the cities major growth.

I think that the parkinglot just south will be where the arena expands, and right now its a good staging area for big things to enter the arena. I cant imagine a development going in that area,

Archived