Atlanta Beltline - Emerald Necklace

Guest donaltopablo

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading about how they are trying to get light rail going on 42d Street in New York, which would be great. But we better not get stuck with a bunch of buses on the Beltline!!

What's the latest on this? I've haven't heard any Beltline news lately.

The Beltline is certainly not on a fast track with the city. I can't see any transit on the Beltline for 10 or more years. If they're not going to let developers develop the land, there is never going to be enough TAD money for the transit portion And of course, the people around Piedmont Park don't want any more development, and I personally think this is the most immediately viable section of the beltline.

The Beltline is certainly not on a fast track with the city. I can't see any transit on the Beltline for 10 or more years. If they're not going to let developers develop the land, there is never going to be enough TAD money for the transit portion And of course, the people around Piedmont Park don't want any more development, and I personally think this is the most immediately viable section of the beltline.

Are we back to this??? For God's sake, do you work for Mason??? No one around Piedmont Park wants zero development (well, maybe a few, but no one takes them seriously). It's the kind of development we have a problem with. Mid rise...fine, high rise...not so fine, especially in an area that has been slated as park space in the CDP since it was created.

Whoever told you that the transit portion of the Beltline would be fast tracked was either blowing smoke somewhere...or had no clue what they were talking about. The Beltline has always been and still is a 20-25 year project. First the land, then the trails, and then, when all that is done, the transit. 15 years away even under the rosiest of scenarios.

Edited by ryanmckibben

Are we back to this??? For God's sake, do you work for Mason??? No one around Piedmont Park wants zero development (well, maybe a few, but no one takes them seriously). It's the kind of development we have a problem with. Mid rise...fine, high rise...not so fine, especially in an area that has been slated as park space in the CDP since it was created.

Whoever told you that the transit portion of the Beltline would be fast tracked was either blowing smoke somewhere...or had no clue what they were talking about. The Beltline has always been and still is a 20-25 year project. First the land, then the trails, and then, when all that is done, the transit. 15 years away even under the rosiest of scenarios.

Relax dude. Andrea was talking about light rail and asking if there was any beltline news. Does that sound like she's thinking the decision is 10-15years away ?

And I never mentioned Mason, and I don't work for him or any other developer. I live in the Piedmont Park area and his projects were not the first or only ones to be attacked by the neighborhood.

I think it's fair to say that most people looking at this project are interested in the transit but that of course has a price. The slower the development of the TAD is, the longer it's going to take to generate the revenue required for the transit.

The Beltline has always been and still is a 20-25 year project. First the land, then the trails, and then, when all that is done, the transit. 15 years away even under the rosiest of scenarios.

Thanks, Ryan. I was hoping I might to get to ride on the Beltline during my lifetime.

Oh, well. I've sort of been sticking around Atlanta thinking that we would get some transportation alternatives in the reasonably near future, but maybe I should go ahead and relocate to some place where I'll actually have a chance of using them.

:(

Thanks, Ryan. I was hoping I might to get to ride on the Beltline during my lifetime.

Oh, well. I've sort of been sticking around Atlanta thinking that we would get some transportation alternatives in the reasonably near future, but maybe I should go ahead and relocate to some place where I'll actually have a chance of using them.

:(

The Peachtree Streetcar line could be built within 4-5 years if we keep our reps feet to the fire.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about 6 months from April Fools, but that photo is pretty obviously a composite. Unfortunately.

Drat! You mean my Photoshopping is that obvious??

That is the track under I-85 where the Beltline is likely to go, however -- wouldn't it be cool to see a train coming around the bend like that?

:lol:

Edited by Andrea

"Franklin freezes major Beltline projects"

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/sto...06/daily14.html

The title sounds negative but I see this as a good sign for the Beltline. It at least sounds like they're moving along with a comprehensive zoning plan and once that is complete development along the beltline can begin.

They don't mention what projects have been frozen but I assume there are developers all along the route anxious to start building.

One good thing is that a clear cut plan with set rules will give developers confidence in what they can and can not build. They won't have to waste time gathering land and making plans only to find out that they can't build what they wanted. With clear rules up front that have buy in from the communities along the beltline, projects are much more likely to go ahead smoothly... at least until someone decides that they are special and should get an exemption.

• 1 month later...

MARTA staff alters stance on Beltline rail

By PAUL DONSKY

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/11/06

MARTA staff is recommending that rail cars roll on the planned 22-mile transit loop, even though a bus-based transit system would be at least one-third cheaper to build.

A streetcar system would cost up to $838 million, MARTA officials said, compared to $571 million for bus rapid transit, a hybrid system that uses rail-like stations and buses designed to resemble rail cars.

The MARTA board of directors is expected to discuss the issue today, with a final decision coming in January. The recommendation is an about-face for MARTA, which four months ago released a preliminary analysis favoring buses over rail, primarily because of cost.

A rail line drawing its power from an overhead trolley wire is quiet and clean, much more compatible with the park environment," said Jim Dexter, vice president of the Georgia Association of Railroad Passengers.

"A unique window of opportunity is opening," he told the board. "If it's done with care, the Beltline could become a signature accomplishment for Atlanta, identifying the city much as the Arch identifies St. Louis, Central Park identifies New York and cable cars identify San Francisco.

"Let's not do this cheap. Let's do it right."

• 1 month later...

Light Rail also makes sense for what they are wanting to do with the greater Beltline/emerald necklace concept. Heavy Rail would not. That doesn't mean MARTA should not think about new HR lines though....

Also, MARTA needs to run this thing. It would make zero sense to have ANOTHER public transit provider in Atlanta. None at all.