Atlanta Beltline - Emerald Necklace

Guest donaltopablo

• 2 months later...

from todays AJC-- will run in Sunday's paper:

Beltline design: 'A lack of emphasis on quality'

Observers say details matter, bemoan focus on getting it done rather than getting it done right

http://www.accessatlanta.com/hp/content/ar...tline_0106.html

The Beltline began with an epiphany and a gumshoe.

Ryan Gravel, then a Georgia Tech graduate student, unearthed the potential of a largely abandoned rail line that had looped through 19th-century Atlanta and proposed the core concept for a reclaimed urban corridor in a 1999 master's thesis.

Since then, Gravel's notion has evolved into a project that could transform the city over the next quarter-century, connecting dozens of disparate neighborhoods, fueling economic development and potentially becoming Atlanta's defining feature.

To become a successful reality, however, the Beltline needs a vision.

The vision is the glue that makes a project

• 2 weeks later...

As history suggests, the Beltline also needs a champion for that vision.

If you're referring to this sentence, they're talking about a champion for the overal vision of the beltline in terms of the quality of the design and architecture. ABI, the organization in charge of implementing the beltline expects to hire a design director this year.

Edited by Martinman

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to post this...

Court's ruling is crushing blow to Beltline project - AJC

The Georgia Supreme Court ruled unanimously that the city could not use school property taxes for the Beltline, a potentially major blow to the project. Beltline supporters expected to use about $850 million in future school property taxes on the Beltline during the next 25 years. The project is expected to cost about $2.8 billion to complete.

This ruling affects TAD's througout the state. Some projects may be delayed or canceled as a result.

I did a search at AJC and found it.

Kasim Reed (D-Atlanta) and Dan Weber (R-Dunwoody) are working with Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle on legislation they will file next week calling for a statewide referendum in November. The referendum would allow cities and counties to tap school property taxes to help pay for redevelopment projects.

Weber said he believes the legislation will pass. A two-thirds vote of both chambers of the Legislature is required for a constitutional amendment to reach the ballot.

Dozens of projects across the state are now at risk, said Weber, such as Smyrna's plan to overhaul two aging shopping centers, and Gwinnett County's attempt to redevelop a closed fiber-optics plant. The developer of the Gwinnett project said this week his project is on hold because of the court ruling.

Legislature 2008: Reed, Weber want state referendum on tax use- AJC

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good Morning,

I live off of Ralph McGill Blvd close to where the proposed beltine will go through. While I was very disappointed with the ruling against the TAD, I have been very excited by the North Avenue park. Right now if you drive along Ralph Mcgill Blvd or Dallas Blvd you will see that several old warehouse have been torn down. I am pretty sure that this is to make way for the park, although I have been unable to verify this. I am excited, for may reasons, it is a sign that our beloved beltline project is moving forward. It will clear out some of the criminal element that has used this network of warehouses to hide out in. (We have a lot of car breakins on Ralph McGill) Most of all more greenspace for all of our fine citizens to enjoy. For those who are unaware, "plans" are for the City Hall East to be converted from government office to a mixed use activity center. North Avenue Park will originally span about 16 acres from the former City Hall East on North Avenue to Ralph Mcill Blvd. It could then be expanded to around 32 acres and head further south all the way to Freedom Parkway. It will include a pond, dog parks, and skate park. If anyone else has any info please add it. I apologize in advance if this topice has been discussed in another thread or further up in this thread.

Link to park plans

http://www.beltline.org/LinkClick.aspx?fil...24&mid=3547

Link to City Hall East plans

http://www.poncepark.org/

Edited by GregoryMCSE

^I'm not really familiar with the Ralph McGill Blvd area, but is it possible that those old warehouses could have been rehabbed into mixed-use developments? Surrounding open spaces with such developments make them all the more successful.

In this particular case I don't belive so. These were flat one store warehouses, not suitable to covert to lofts. But there are mixed use developments currently around the proposed park (2 urban licks back deck will have a view of the park) Their is an apartment complex being built on the western edge of the park, and at the northern end is the massive City Hall East redevolepment.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea planning for this particular park was this far along and it looks GREAT! This is just what this part of the city needs.

About the TADs, the bill concerning the issue passed the legislature. There will be a referendum on the issue this fall that will change state law if it passes.

Also the city will take longer than expected to move from City Hall East so the sale of the property will be delayed until June 15, 2009. The transition was originally planned for August of this year.

Edited by Martinman

^I'm not really familiar with the Ralph McGill Blvd area, but is it possible that those old warehouses could have been rehabbed into mixed-use developments? Surrounding open spaces with such developments make them all the more successful.

These would've been in the park rather than surrounding it.

As mentioned by GregoryMCSE here are some of the things that will surround the park.

Ponce Park (the greenspace in the rendering is the northern end of the park)

ponce-index2.gif

And this 300 unit apartment building is under construction.

the4thyi8.png

There will be areas for additional development as well.

Here is a link to the latest AJC article on the beltline. A lot of things happening; all of it good. The article does seem to confirm that the demoltion of buildings for the North Avenue Park is indeed underway.

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/st...ketour0421.html

FWIW: I live about a block from the North Avenue Park and several abandoned warehouses have been demolished. Some of the walls are still up and you can see all sorts of graffiti inside these old warehouses. This morning my wife was accosted inside the workout room at our condo by a homeless fellow. It seems like the destruction of these warehouse pushed this fella out of the warehouses and into our developemnt. As a resident of the "Old Fourth Ward" I think it is great that we are demolishing abandoned buildings that shelter vagrants and car thiefs. Yet Atlanta must follow up. Where will the homeless go? Will they merely sleep and hang out in the new North Avenue Park; or will they get the services and shelter they need. Is Atlanta merely pushing a problem out to another area?

No doubt the homeless issue is something the city really needs to revisit.

Beltline updates from that article...

-Construction by the PATH Foundation of the first segment of Beltline trail in the West End is in progress. :thumbsup:

-Work is under way on parks on the West Side, at Boulevard Crossing, and at North Avenue.

-A creative public-private partnership has secured significant Beltline right of way through the northeast corridor.

-Negotiations have been initiated for the acquisition of the remaining southwest, southeast and northwest rights of way, owned by the Georgia Department of Transportation and private rail companies.

-Corporate and individual philanthropists have pledged nearly $30 million to the Beltline capital campaign.

-With assistance from the Trust for Public Land, 200 acres have been acquired for new park land.

-There are more than 50 projects in development around the Beltline.

-Atlantans continue to pack tours of the Beltline route, and residents are participating in planning sessions in which their comments contribute to how the Beltline is taking shape.

I thought this weekend the population growth in the city and the need for additional park space was evident at Piedmont Park. I don't think I've ever seen as many people in the park absent some event. Anyway it is very exciting to have tangible progress on the Beltline.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

The city council has approved the sale of the first bonds related to the Beltline tax allocation district. Beltline officials can now begin the process of selling up to $120 million in bonds and will have to present to the city council exactly how the money will be spent by this summer.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

These would've been in the park rather than surrounding it.

As mentioned by GregoryMCSE here are some of the things that will surround the park.

Ponce Park (the greenspace in the rendering is the northern end of the park)

ponce-index2.gif

And this 300 unit apartment building is under construction.

the4thyi8.png

There will be areas for additional development as well.

I'm just getting around to this. Thanks for the clarification, and the renderings look pretty good. Hope it all comes about as planned.