Atlanta Beltline - Emerald Necklace

Guest donaltopablo

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

The first tangible signs of the beltline are becoming reality as construction proceeds on the first segments of the 33-mile Beltline trail.

West End Trail

beltline1.jpg

Construction of the stormwater pond which doubles as a water feature in the North Ave park will begin in September. Here are some images of the pond.

Pondoverview.jpg

O4WPark.jpg

O4WParkponda.jpg

NorthAvePark1.png

Edited by Martinman

That water feature looks great. Too bad we never get much rain these days and are under hard watering restrictions.

I know the lakes are still pretty low but it's been raining quite a bit lately in Atlanta. I recently read that July was the rainiest month in nearly 2 years in the city.

I think a far greater problem this park faces is the location and the current economic climate surrounding it.

I know the lakes are still pretty low but it's been raining quite a bit lately in Atlanta. I recently read that July was the rainiest month in nearly 2 years in the city.

I think a far greater problem this park faces is the location and the current economic climate surrounding it.

So when are they going to turn some of the fountains around the city back on? They add so much to the streetscaping.

Old Fourth Ward is actually considered a hot neighborhood. Once the economy improves, a beautiful park will only intesify that growth.

Here's a map showing existing and future development surrounding the park.

o4wgb8.jpg

Edited by Martinman

So when are they going to turn some of the fountains around the city back on? They add so much to the streetscaping.

Interestingly, I had dinner sitting beside the (running) fountain in front of Lil' Azio in Midtown last night. I was surprised it was running because I thought they were still supposed to be off, but it was very enjoyable eating dinner out in the pleasant evening weather - even moreso being by the fountain as twilight set in.

Edited by j.midtown

The work on the Old 4th Ward Park (or North Avenue Park as it is sometimes called) is proceeding. 3 warehouse have been knocked down and their is much heavy equipment on site. They have lot of concrete slab that they are pulling up and they have heavy equipment pulverizing it. The Old 4th Ward neighborhood is starting to complement Inman Park quite nicely. The new park and the potential beltline have developers dumping money into the area. Everything from City Hall East being converted in to the Medici Center at Ponce Park, to The Fourth a huge condo/apartment complex on Glenn Iris. They have even cleared land to build condos on Boulevard. Many Beautiful new houses have gone up between Glen Iris and Boulevard. Abandoned warehouse are coming down and heavy industrty such as Georgia Power and Sunbelt Rentals is supposed to be moving out. Old Tenements on North Avenue have been knocked down. In 5 years the Old Fourth ward will be very nice. I hope that the 4th keeps it's character and creates some affordable housing.

BTW the above rendering of the Old Fourth ward park is one of three that I have seen. Does anybody know for sure what the finalized version looks like?

Edited by GregoryMCSE

The rendering above was an early conceptual drawing of the park. I only used it because it shows all of the development thats already in the area.

Here is the current park plan but they are only building 16 acres of the total 35 acres in phase one.

northaveparkaz5.jpg

Thanks Martinman, you alway have something to add. They are making progress on this park and are busy tearing down the warehouses on Ralph Mcgill Blvd. Still, their are a couple of major hurdles that I see. To start off, all of the area south of Ralph Mcgill Blvd is currently occupied, mostly by Sunbelt Rentals. They rent heavy equipment and are a massive operation. I see no signs of them moving? I wonder whether the beltline already purchased this property or whether they simply hope to one day purchase it. Also, the part of your diagram labeled meadow is currently a massive Georgia Power site. I have heard that Georgia Power is moving, but I have seen NO indication of it. Without Georgia Power and Sunbelt Rentals leaving I am afraid this will be an exceptionally small "park"....

Edited by GregoryMCSE

Keep in mind that phase one only includes the 16 acres already acquired for the park and does not include any land south of Ralph McGill. I'm sure that the park plan is oddly shaped the way it is for a reason which is that the land can be acquired in the future.

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

Groundbreaking for Historic Fourth Ward Park was held yesterday. The park not only creates an attractive greenspace on a blighted industrial pocket of the city but adds capacity to the city's CSO and solves the flooding problem at City Hall East.

Also the West End Trail, the first segment of the 33-mile Beltline Trail, officially opens Saturday.

article: Historic Fourth Ward Park on its way

Edited by Martinman

Groundbreaking for Historic Fourth Ward Park was held yesterday. The park not only creates an attractive greenspace on a blighted industrial pocket of the city but adds capacity to the city's CSO and solves the flooding problem at City Hall East.

Also the West End Trail, the first segment of the 33-mile Beltline Trail, officially opens Saturday.

article: Historic Fourth Ward Park on its way

Martinman, on the southern end of the park by Ralph Mcgill blvd a lot of buildings were demo'd and a lot of earth wasremoved. What I don't understand is the huge structure underconstruction.. It appears to be about 30 to 40 feet deep and is inbedded into the earth. It looks like a huge dam or the worlds largest basement. Do you have any idea what it is?

Also, plans for this park include land that currently is used by Georgia power...a large facility. I see no evidence that Georgia power is leaving or closing down this facility. Do you know the deal. If the park does not include this Georgia Power line it will be basicly cut in half...not very large, not very usable....

In essence... I see a lot of new and old concrete where their is supposed to be greenspace...what gives? Thanks in advance.

^ It likely is sewer or storm drain trunk line construction by Clean Water Atlanta. From what I understand, the lakes that will be in the park will be built for storm drain purposes. That is a major flood area where Clear Creek used to flow.

Edited by teshadoh

Martinman, on the southern end of the park by Ralph Mcgill blvd a lot of buildings were demo'd and a lot of earth wasremoved. What I don't understand is the huge structure underconstruction.. It appears to be about 30 to 40 feet deep and is inbedded into the earth. It looks like a huge dam or the worlds largest basement. Do you have any idea what it is?

Also, plans for this park include land that currently is used by Georgia power...a large facility. I see no evidence that Georgia power is leaving or closing down this facility. Do you know the deal. If the park does not include this Georgia Power line it will be basicly cut in half...not very large, not very usable....

In essence... I see a lot of new and old concrete where their is supposed to be greenspace...what gives? Thanks in advance.

As I recenlty posted on the "Other Atlanta developments" thread, I believe that construction is for a project called Six 60 At Old 4th Ward at this location.

six60.jpg

Here's a posting on the neighborhood website about the project.

Southeast Capital Partners Inc., an Atlanta-based construction company, is demolishing three former Ivan Allen Workspace buildings to begin building Six60 at Old Fourth Ward. Six60 will take up approximately 5 acres on Ralph McGill Boulevard, a little south of City Hall East. Contained in this development will be a mix of 301 units, including townhomes, apartments, and lofts.

In related news, the city council voted Monday to proceed with design and construction of additional Beltline parks and trails. $60 million raised through private donations will be used for early park development.

Edited by Martinman

As I recenlty posted on the "Other Atlanta developments" thread, I believe that construction is for a project called Six 60 At Old 4th Ward at this location.

six60.jpg

Here's a posting on the neighborhood website about the project.

In related news, the city council voted Monday to proceed with design and construction of additional Beltline parks and trails. $60 million raised through private donations will be used for early park development.

Thanks Martinman. I appreciate the info. Nothing against you of course but now I am going to vent. The old 4th ward park...is not really going to be a park at all. The Old 4th ward park is a bunch of concrete and development surrounding a pond :dunno: What a disapointment! What a failure of vision! Just more God D--- condos!

Ralph Mcgill Blvd has more traffic than you can imagine as is we don't need more infill and congestion, we need greenspace. Seriously, the acreage of this "park" is going to be so minimal; I would imagine it tops out at 9 to 10 acres. Most of the Green space on the map Martinman provided is currently occupied by Georgia Power...it always shows green on the map, but I have never seen or read of any indication Georgia Power is leaving this location. The other large chunk of green space is occupied by Sunbelt Rentals but I have never seen or read of any indication Sunbelt Rentals is leaving this location either.

It doesn't matter anyways, because even if Georgia Power and Sunbelt rentals were to up and leave, I am sure the "vision" for this park would change yet again and we would end up with more friggin condos and concrete. If this is what the Beltline and the jewels of the beltline is about, count me out. Their is no Green in the Beltline; just corrupt politicians lining their pockets and greedy developers making profits off of a giant "public works" project, business as usual in Atlanta. The Beltline is about as green as a Ford SUV. Shirley Franklin better hope I don't catch her up at Manuel's Tavern again... I will give her an earful!!! Almost makes me long for the days of Bill Campbell.

BTW. Everyone who lives at Freedom Heights on Ralph McGill believes we are getting Greenspace on Ralph Mcgill Blvd. I cannot wait to spread the good news!

Edited by GregoryMCSE

Drive by where this supposed park is going to be. Their is no park. Their is no land for a park. Their is enough room for the pond, that is it; all the other greenspace the city owns will have the 660 at the old 4th ward built on it. The other greenspace "touted" in recent articles is not currently owned by the city. It is land currently occupied by Georgia Power and Sunbelt Rentals. When the purchase of these properties falls through their will be no park. this is a scam..foisted on us by Atlanta BeltLine Inc. and big development. I call Bull---- on the Old 4th Ward Park.

Edited by GregoryMCSE

^^ Gosh! What a strange reaction to new park space in the city. :dunno::dontknow:

I do know that that residential project IS NOT being built on land the city owns.

Martinman, the map u provided shows the park on land currently owned or leased by Georgia Power and Sunbelt rentals...the city owns the land the retainage pond will reside on. Do you know if Georgia power or Sunbelt rentals are vacating their properties? If Sunbelt Rentals and Georgia Power do not leave , their will be no park. What there will be is a 100 year flood pond surrounded by very limited greenspace. Unless those companies are leaving...what the old 4th Ward Park will be is a retainage pond surrounded by big devolpment and light industry. This is hardly what is being advertised by The Atlanta Beltline Inc.. Basicly, what I believe will happen is that Atlanta Beltline Inc. will promote development around this quote unquote park and then later announce that the deal to purchase land from Sunbelt Rentals and Georgia Power has fell though... I could be wrong but I doubt it. I live next door to this "park" so I am watching this unfold...

Edited by GregoryMCSE

• 3 weeks later...

Noone has mentioned that the amendment to once again allow school property taxes to be used in tax allocation districts passed (barely) last week.

Also Suntrust and Wachovia stepped up with half each of $64.5 million bridge loan until next July that will allow the Beltline to complete the purchase of the NE Beltline corridor. The credit market metldown has made it impossible to sell bonds.

• 3 months later...

The Beltline has survived the latest (and most serious) challenge to it becoming a reality.

For anyone not aware of this story, after years of planning and investments of millions of dollars already, the state DOT was insisting on high-speed commuter rail on a portion of the Beltline route known as the Decatur Belt and was threatening to use Amtrak's condemnation powers to pry it from the city. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Well yesterday an agreement was reached to accommodate commuter rail, intercity and high-speed rail elsewhere in the city.

Decatur Belt

image_8516932.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Beltline is currently engaged in public workshops as part of its environmental study to refine the alternatives under consideration for alignment, station stops, rail service and technology etc.

Heres a map of the proposed stations at this point.

beltlinestations.jpg

Also here is the final master plan for Historic 4th Ward Park. Several of the proposed projects surrounding the park are outlined including the one under construction on Ralph Mcgill.

o4thwparkbig.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 2 months later...

The Beltline has reached an agreement to buy nearly 3.5 miles of the railroad corridor that’s currently owned by the Georgia DOT for $13.5 million. The purchase agreement will give the city of Atlanta and The Beltline control of 48 percent of the 22-mile transit corridor.

They have also completed a master plan for the Westide Park that will be the largest park in the city.

westsideparkmasterplan.jpg

Edited by Martinman