Atlanta Beltline - Emerald Necklace

Guest donaltopablo

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what, if any work was done but from what I understand, there was an issue with some of the land being tainted with diesel fuel. The financial market collapse and difficulty in selling bonds last year probably played a part in the delay as well. Nevertheless, the clean-up and the park groundbreaking was supposed to begin last month (August) so I'll have to check to see if any work has re-started.

Edited by Martinman

I'm not sure what, if any work was done but from what I understand, there was an issue with some of the land being tainted with diesel fuel. The financial market collapse and difficulty in selling bonds last year probably played a part in the delay as well. Nevertheless, the clean-up and the park groundbreaking was supposed to begin last month (August) so I'll have to check to see if any work has re-started.

Thanks. That's awesome. Let me know what you think of the 660 on Ralph McGill... i am so glad those old abandoned warehouses are gone.

• 2 months later...

This document gives some detail on the construction timetable for Historic Fourth Ward Park.

• Phase I - 5 acre Clear Creek Basin - completion August 2010
  • Phase II - 17 acres, extending the park to North Ave and Ralph McGill - completion December 2010
  • Phase III - 13 acres - contingent on acquiring the remaining land from Georgia Power and other property owners

h4wpmasterplanrevisedauz.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The completion date for the Piedmont Park expansion project was set for 2010, but work may still be ongoing. Have any delays or tweakages pushed forward the completion date a few years?

Also, Piedmont Park had a golf course until 1979. The south area of the park should be renovated to remove all traces of the former golf course.

Edited by Jim856796

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In its transit implementation study, ABI has (for now) abandoned the loop route in favor of four routes that connect with Midtown and Downtown first. The advantages of these routes are that they are more transit supportive now, they connect to the major activity centers - Midtown and Downtown, there is no active rail usage on the routes, the city already owns the ROW, and they would have direct connections to Marta rail. One and possibly two of these routes will be submitted to the Regional Roundtable for consideration as one of the projects to be included on the 2012 transportation tax referendum.

screencaptureyu.pngscreencapture1vi.png

screencapture2s.pngscreencapture3g.png

• 2 months later...

I heard that the new skate park was a homerun. I am so glad to see the progress of the Beltline. Even with the transportation part added in, it is already turning out to be a HUGE plus for the intown community and the overall quality of life. I look forward to taking a tour of it in the near future.

• 1 year later...

Development along the Atlanta Beltline has been growing at a fast pace of late. It can be a full time job keeping up with it all. Here are some recent pictures taken by AtlantaMustang on Skyscraperpage.com. As much as I love seeing actual development, it is the people utilizing the project which warms my heart. Although we long for the transit component of the Beltline, it is great to see how it's tying intown communities together. In due time, transit will definitely work along the Beltline. The density will warrant it. In the meantime, intown residents now have a comfortable means of walking and biking in the urban environment. I haven't even mentioned the number of new parks that have sprung up along the Beltline. See above post for some examples.  

Below you have a John Wieland development of townhomes overlooking the Beltline. Priced from the $600's, only 4 homes remain.

2013-03-17_14-46-46_840_zps2356b9d7.jpg

Below you have a picture of people enjoying their day on the Beltline.

2013-03-17_14-47-50_857_zpsd5ceee83.jpg

Below is another view of the Beltline with condos to the right and the townhomes to the left. Again, more residents taking advantage of this intown jewel. It is only going to get better. This has to be one of the best new found assets in the entire city. Thank you to Atlanta Mustang for taking these wonderful pictures of the development around and progress of the Atlanta Beltline.

2013-03-17_14-47-36_583_zps77d22024.jpg