Atlanta Beltline - Emerald Necklace

Guest donaltopablo

Too close for comfort today. The County Commission's seven members voted today on the Beltline. One member was missing and the other six came up tied, three for and three against. They are going to revote next Wednesday. :cry::wacko::sick:

Well they sort of voted on the beltline. The three commissioners that want "more information" brought up a resolution to hold public hearings whcih tied 3-3. Then a substitute resolution created by two other commisioners that would have supported the beltline tied 3-3.

Commission trio won't buckle to Beltline pressure

Edited by Martinman

Well, for the fourth time this month, the Fulton County Commission has delayed the vote. They say they might possibly vote on the issue on the 21st of this month, ven though they could legally wait until June 30th of next year....

Let's hope they vote on it on the 21st.

Check out the Article here

Merry Christmas from the Fulton County Commission: The Board of Commissioners has passed the Beltline TAD! :yahoo:

There is a blurb on the Beltline Partnership website and a posting on the Citizens for Progressive Transit Yahoo Group. No other details yet.

This is great news. Now the city can move forward with issuing the Bonds for the project. There is still a lot of work to be done, but some of the biggest initial hurdles have been jumped. :D

EDIT: Evidently the vote was 5-1. That's a big change from being deadlocked at 3-3. See this news blub.

Edited by Newnan_Eric

Merry Christmas from the Fulton County Commission: The Board of Commissioners has passed the Beltline TAD! :yahoo:

There is a blurb on the Beltline Partnership website and a posting on the Citizens for Progressive Transit Yahoo Group. No other details yet.

This is great news. Now the city can move forward with issuing the Bonds for the project. There is still a lot of work to be done, but some of the biggest initial hurdles have been jumped. :D

EDIT: Evidently the vote was 5-1. That's a big change from being deadlocked at 3-3. See this news blub.

Well, this is quite a nice Christmas present. :)

I'm sure they won't be dissappointed when the Beltline is finished one day in the future (this is, of course, assuming that all the other hurdles can be jumped).

The entire planet????
Heck, yeah, Newnan!

From the Beltline Partnership website:

The Associated Press story about the BeltLine, entitled: "Atlanta Looks to Abandoned Railroad Tracks" from 11-30-05 has been picked up by over 40 media outlets around the world including:

The New York Times

The Washington Post

The Los Angeles Times

The Guardian Unlimited (UK)

Try Googling the phrase "Atlanta Looks to Abandoned Railroad Tracks" and see how many hits you get.

:lol:

Edited by Andrea

Heck, yeah, Newman!

From the Beltline Partnership website:

Try Googling the phrase "Atlanta Looks to Abandoned Railroad Tracks" and see how many hits you get.

:lol:

It's amazing how much recognition lil' old Atlanta has gotten from this thing. Just imagine the impact if when gets completed!

BTW: Googling "Atlanta Beltline" brings up a whole slew of results, too!

Well, this is quite a nice Christmas present. :)

I'm sure they won't be dissappointed when the Beltline is finished one day in the future (this is, of course, assuming that all the other hurdles can be jumped).

No doubt a project this complex will face other issues but the project COULD NOT proceed without approval from these boards. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lil' old Atlanta

I'm going to need you to correct that description. The terms; wide, spread-out, continuously redeveloping, pratically new, etc. are acceptable when describing the city consumed a third of it's state. Anyway, I'm glad the Beltline finally made it through Fulton County for approval. I was scared of the potential fallout that would come if they didn't accept. Next step, get a REAL Regional Transit Authority approved so I can take a train downtown and stay off of ceaselessly jammed 75.

I can breath again! It took me forever tonight to check in b/c I didn't want to hear any bad news about the Board of Commissioners' vote. :yahoo:

Now that we have passed that hurdle I think things will go more smoothly. The next task is to resolve the issue of those huge towers at Monroe & 10th. They really look out of place to me, and that's coming from someone who wants more tall buildings in the city.

I noticed that where the beltline goes under peachtree in Buckhead that land was being cleared. What's going on there? Is that part of Mason's property and if so what does he plan for that site. That site makes more sence for higher density IMO.

I am just so happy that the Beltline has been approved. In the long run, it's projects like this one that will put Atlanta even further ahead or most cities in the southeast in terms of public transportation and intown liveablilty. If done properly, this could make Atlantic Station pale in comparison.

I couldn't agree more Lady Celeste. The Beltline truly has the potential to take Atlanta to an entirely new level; on a level of those wonderful, dense, green global cities. The vision of the future of the city and the fact that its now all very possible just amazes me. But hey if there's one thing Atlanta does well, its dream BIG.

Edited by Martinman

So does anyone have an idea what stretch of the beltline will be built first?

Will they decide by racial politics (westside first) or by greatest demand (P'tree to Piedmont Park).

I'm just guessing that P'tree to Piedmont has the highest demand.

I'm hoping that it comes through my hood first (Old Fourth Ward/MLK). Will one part get trails first and another part get rails?

• 3 weeks later...

More on the park at Bellwood quarry: Council OK's creation of massive Beltline park

The Atlanta City Council on Tuesday approved the first major project on the city's planned Beltline: the estimated $36 million buyout of active Bellwood Quarry and its conversion into Atlanta's largest park.

It sounds like this park is moving toward reality very quickly. Adding a big green space like this is terrific in itself, as well as bringing momentum to the Beltline project in general. The Beltline suddenly has a major new destination!

Martinman, I also wanted to say that that Halpern/Mason project sounds promising as well. I don't mind having some highrises along the Beltline at strategic points, but to me it would be best as a corridor of low and midrise mixed use developments and parks.

Edited by Andrea

More on the park at Bellwood quarry: Council OK's creation of massive Beltline park

It sounds like this park is moving toward reality very quickly. Adding a big green space like this is terrific in itself, as well as bringing momentum to the Beltline project in general. The Beltline suddenly has a major new destination!

Martinman, I also wanted to say that that Halpern/Mason project sounds promising as well. I don't mind having some highrises along the Beltline at strategic points, but to me it would be best as a corridor of low and midrise mixed use developments and parks.

I agree, particularly since the beltline will pass through some well established mostly single-family neighborhoods. There may be some locations along the path where towers are appropriate but there is plenty of space in the core of the city for developers to build towers.

And development along the Beltline is happening at lightning speed.

Developers dream big on Beltline - AJC

"Two big proposed developments may shed some light on how fast and how densely Atlanta City Hall will allow developers to build along Atlanta's planned Beltline.

A plan unveiled Tuesday could bring more than 1,000 condos and new retail to a site next to Piedmont Park in well-to-do northeast Atlanta. Real estate investor Wayne Mason, who owns five miles of the Beltline, and retail developer Jack Halpern announced their partnership to redevelop Amsterdam Walk, a shopping and entertainment complex that backs up to the park.

In a downtrodden neighborhood just south of Turner Field, a team proposes building 770 condos above 151,000 square feet of ground-level retail. The property is being developed by Atlanta-based residential builder Elijah Enterprises and two New York City firms."

East Medina Village - Peoplestown

EastMedinahVillage.jpg

Edited by Martinman

And development along the Beltline is happening at lightning speed.

Developers dream big on Beltline - AJC

"Two big proposed developments may shed some light on how fast and how densely Atlanta City Hall will allow developers to build along Atlanta's planned Beltline.

A plan unveiled Tuesday could bring more than 1,000 condos and new retail to a site next to Piedmont Park in well-to-do northeast Atlanta. Real estate investor Wayne Mason, who owns five miles of the Beltline, and retail developer Jack Halpern announced their partnership to redevelop Amsterdam Walk, a shopping and entertainment complex that backs up to the park.

In a downtrodden neighborhood just south of Turner Field, a team proposes building 770 condos above 151,000 square feet of ground-level retail. The property is being developed by Atlanta-based residential builder Elijah Enterprises and two New York City firms."

East Medina Village - Peoplestown

EastMedinahVillage.jpg

That's awesome! Love the colors and the artwork out front!