Atlanta Beltline - Emerald Necklace

Guest donaltopablo

We have been doing beltline projects here at Georgia Tech for a few years now, mostly located along the southeastern portion, however recently there was a shift more toward the northwest, so perhaps property values, the acquistion, and even demographics are behind this as the first implemented portion. It certainly seems to have perhaps the best ability to connect to MARTA without exorbitant costs, and could help the western spur seem a little more practical.

I disagree. I also go to Georgia Tech and have finished a semester long project on the BeltLine in December. I think the Northeast section will be developed first (After consulting with Dr. Meyer a lot for this project, he agrees). You have to remember that Wayne Mason is literally chomping at the bit to get this thing rolling. When he recently wasn't included in the development plan (even though he owns five miles of BeltLine land), he basically threatened to go ahead and build and operate the transit portion himself for his land. Though this was merely an idle threat, because although his pockets run deep, he simply cannot afford it. Transit is surprisingly expensive to build, operate, and maintain. And remember, for this to even be successful there needs to be immediate connections to MARTA, or else you would have a local light rail system connected to nothing. Kind of defeats the purpose of the BeltLine. With this in mind, I think the Northeast provides the most feasible starting point to get the ball moving. Connect it to Lindberg (though they still don't have a definite plan on how to do this) and to an East line station and you have your first leg. Many of the prominent BeltLine development nodes are in this area as well, such as the Monroe/10th St. stop and the City Hall East/Ponce stop. The BeltLine concept is more adaptable to the northeast section because it's predominantly more developed. And once this is in place the ball will begin moving and with the success of the more obvious portion of the BeltLine the other sections will follow suit.

Here is a tad bit more info about the Beltline proposals announced last week.

The Mason-Halpern team has told city officials it would demolish Amsterdam Walk and replace the center with four plaza-encircled buildings that would each have condos built atop ground-floor retail. The amount of new retail would be at least 135,000 sf and the 12.4-acre site could accommodate as many as 1,900 condos, if the land were rezoned.

A second group's proposed mixed-use East Medinah Village is a three-phased project that would include 770 condos built above 150,000 sf of street-level retail.

Development Groups Seek Head Start on Proposed Beltline Projects-GlobeSt.com

Edited by Martinman

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/sto...23/daily20.html

Looks like you can all say goodbye to the Masquerade. I knew this was a major development node of the BeltLine, but I hoped they would preserve this gem. I guess I'll have to go to the Tabernacle for my punk rock fix.

I know, I heard about that. It's so sad to see it go.

I was just curious, but does anyone here feel like the Beltline may finally put a physical boundary on the core of the city (Downtown, Midtown, and south Buckhead)? I know we'll probably never achieve a downtown-centric core on the level of cities up north, but wouldn't this help place a physical boundary of sorts around the central core and perhaps make the city a little more downtown/core-centric?

Edited by ironchapman

I was just curious, but does anyone here feel like the Beltline may finally put a physical boundary on the core of the city (Downtown, Midtown, and south Buckhead)? I know we'll probably never achieve a downtown-centric core on the level of cities up north, but wouldn't this help place a physical boundary of sorts around the central core and perhaps make the city a little more downtown/core-centric?

To answer your origninal question, yes I do. The perimeter is just too far out from the downtown/midtown/buckhead core to provide a boundary for growth. While I think it will be a long time before the area within Beltline is filled in, it will proivde a good anchor for the area to build to.

To answer your origninal question, yes I do. The perimeter is just too far out from the downtown/midtown/buckhead core to provide a boundary for growth. While I think it will be a long time before the area within Beltline is filled in, it will proivde a good anchor for the area to build to.

It will take a long time for the area to fill in, I agree. the Beltline will, however, hopefully provide the spark to start this development (want to grab a piece of intown before it's all built out!). Like I said before, this will hopefully create the physical boundaries Atlanta's CBD and urban core have needed for decades.

It will take a long time for the area to fill in, I agree. the Beltline will, however, hopefully provide the spark to start this development (want to grab a piece of intown before it's all built out!). Like I said before, this will hopefully create the physical boundaries Atlanta's CBD and urban core have needed for decades.

Hey everybody. I'm the new kid on the block. I agree with this assessment. Hopefully the Beltline will encourage more development inward to meet with development growing outward from the CBD. It'll take some time but it's a first step.

My question is, If you're ITP but OTB are you still considered cool? :huh:

Unfortunately, no. I have consulted the judges, and they ruled that, although you will still be cool, a whole new category of "super-cool" will need to be created to accomodate those living both ITP and ITB.

Apparantly the beltline, while redefining the urban landscape of the city will also redefine the social landscape as well...who knew?

Unfortunately, no. I have consulted the judges, and they ruled that, although you will still be cool, a whole new category of "super-cool" will need to be created to accomodate those living both ITP and ITB.

Wah! My status goes down once again. :cry:

I've actually been thinking about moving ITB. If y'all were going to do that, where would you go? Capitol View/Adair Park?

I've noticed a large parcel of land being cleared on the Beltline in the Old Forth Ward. It's behind Thumbs up, but not directly behind that row of buildings. The parcel sits to the side of a triangle that is formed where the tracks split to join the main trunk line going into the downtown and leaving the downtown. Cabbage Town is on the other side of the tracks. The parcel fronts DeKalb Ave. There is no signage that I can find in order to look it up. It seems to be a secret as to what is going on there.

Does anyone know who &/or what is stirring over there?

Also does anyone have any idea of how the beltline will pass through that area? Will it leave grade level and go above the rail yards or underground?

:blink:

I've noticed a large parcel of land being cleared on the Beltline in the Old Forth Ward. It's behind Thumbs up, but not directly behind that row of buildings. The parcel sits to the side of a triangle that is formed where the tracks split to join the main trunk line going into the downtown and leaving the downtown. Cabbage Town is on the other side of the tracks. The parcel fronts DeKalb Ave. There is no signage that I can find in order to look it up. It seems to be a secret as to what is going on there.

Does anyone know who &/or what is stirring over there?

Also does anyone have any idea of how the beltline will pass through that area? Will it leave grade level and go above the rail yards or underground?

:blink:

My guess is that it is related to a Clean Water Atlanta sewer infrastructure project, though the piping they had looked like it was storm drains. But it isn't part of the Beltline project if that is what you're interested in.

As for how it will pass / bypass Hulsey Yard - that is a big question. More than likely, that section of the Beltline & the section to the south won't be connected for a long time - if ever. So far the options are for both segments to connect at Inman Park station - with the north section going along Dekalb Ave. The other options would be to go through the rail yard, either under it using the Estoria tunnel - highly unlikely, or to completely redevelop the railyard into a mixed use project with a new MARTA station. That latter option would require a huge undertaking & isn't likely.

Another option I've read from a consultant plan, was for the transit line to merge into Dekalb Ave where that section of the Beltline ends, & continue to King Memorial station. I think that would make the most sense until something can be done with Hulsey railyard.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the Beltline's advocates are finally beginning a plan on how to build it and coordinate the forces behind it (construction, etc.).

Beltline advocates to form oversight plan (AJC)

Beltline advocates have been working quickly and quietly to figure out just how to coordinate a project that is being funded by three governments

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't been able to find out what is going on DeKalb Ave where the beltline tracks cross a newly clearned and now regraded parcel of land. I know that it's not work on the bletline but it must be condos. Who ever is doing it is very hush hush about it. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on. I'm not talking about Dekalb & Boulevard. I'm talking about a parcel between there and Krog.