New Format

monsoon

We made some changes to the top level layout of the forum. We had to do this because The South had grown to an unmanageable size. (we have 100 forums now in the cities places and regions section)

We also decided to create a South forum (this one) that is devoted to dicussions of the South. We took advantage and linked it in the two new sections that once comprised the South. (Virginia is welcome too).

This is a thread where you can offer up your opinion on our changes.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I noticed Arkansas and Oklahoma are now considered Gulf states. :lol: I like the idea of having a Mid South forum. But I guess we're also trying to split things out more evenly too. And most of the biggest state forums are in one general area of the south. So I guess we'd still end up with an odd state in a Mid South forum.

Yeah I noticed Arkansas and Oklahoma are now considered Gulf states. :lol: I like the idea of having a Mid South forum. But I guess we're also trying to split things out more evenly too. And most of the biggest state forums are in one general area of the south. So I guess we'd still end up with an odd state in a Mid South forum.

I think we could have a mid south subforum that would include Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

Its really tough to decide how to regionalize the forum. But we did preserve a place for Southern discussions which does seem to be very popular. I have asked the Va forumers if they want to move to the Atlantic section. There is a poll over there to guage opinion on this.

Its really tough to decide how to regionalize the forum. But we did preserve a place for Southern discussions which does seem to be very popular. I have asked the Va forumers if they want to move to the Atlantic section. There is a poll over there to guage opinion on this.

Yeah leaving the Southern Discussion is a nice touch.

Atlantic States?? That sounds kinda weird.....and kentucky & tennessee dont even touch the ocean...

My suggestion is to call it the "Southern Atlantic States," so that the title more clearly identifies the region.

I think we could have a mid south subforum that would include Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

I'm perfectly happy with the groupings as they are now, but what you suggest is odd. Arkansas and Tennessee are the only two of those states often considered part of the Mid-South. It would be a liberal definition to include Oklahoma and Kentucky. Oklahoma is Southwestern, and Kentucky would be on the periphery of the Mid-South, but Louisiana and Mississippi are almost always included in the Mid-South. It seems that you're arbitrarily choosing a group of states and applying a name to it which is used for a specific region.

The truth is that there is no single way to split things up, and everyone has a different opinion, so made a decision. This arragement serves its purpse well, I think :)

Very well said. The groupings do a nice job of combining states that roughly fall into one area or the other.

I've noticed that when in "The South" subforum, there is only a link at the top of the page back to the "USA Atlantic States." I like to hop around between Arkansas forum and this forum, so could one of y'all provide a link to the "USA Gulf States" as well?

I've noticed that when in "The South" subforum, there is only a link at the top of the page back to the "USA Atlantic States." I like to hop around between Arkansas forum and this forum, so could one of y'all provide a link to the "USA Gulf States" as well?

Unfortunately that is a limitation of the forum software so I can't grant that request.

I'm perfectly happy with the groupings as they are now, but what you suggest is odd. Arkansas and Tennessee are the only two of those states often considered part of the Mid-South. It would be a liberal definition to include Oklahoma and Kentucky. Oklahoma is Southwestern, and Kentucky would be on the periphery of the Mid-South, but Louisiana and Mississippi are almost always included in the Mid-South. It seems that you're arbitrarily choosing a group of states and applying a name to it which is used for a specific region.

I guess my definition of Mid South is different from yours. Honestly I've always considered it Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas. Basically the 'southern' states west of the Mississippi River. I'd never consider Oklahoma a southwest state really. But I admit Oklahoma is one of those states hard to classify.

I don't have a problem with the way the states were dividing exactly but the naming of the forums just seems a bit odd to me. But I think I see what you're trying to do. It just seems odd to think of Arkansas and Oklahoma as 'Gulf' states and Tennessee and Kentucky as 'Atlantic' states. But aside from redividing I don't have any easy answers.

While I'm not a big proponent of change, We have allowed the "confederate" states to establish what we consider the difference between north and south since the 1800's, so a change is probably good. Being a current Tennessean and native Georgian, I don't personally care for the mid-atlantic term applied to my two favorite states, but I don't know what would be better? This area is commonly referred to as the Bible Belt.

Here are possible alternatives to mid-atlantic: Grits states, Football States, God's Country, The Kudzu's, Moon Shiners, Home of Paris (Paris Tennesse, that is), Sweet Tea's, Big Trucks... ok, that's all I got

Archived