Do you guys Want to move to the new Atlantic Section?

monsoon

Do you guys Want to move to the new Atlantic Section?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys Want to move to the new Atlantic Section?

• No
    • Yes
    • What Change?

We made some changes to the top level layout of the forum. There is no South category now as this was replaced by an Atlantic section and a Gulf States section. We also created a forum for discussions on the South.

The question is, do you guys want VA to stay in the Northeast, or do you want to move to the Atlantic section.

This is just for VA. We do not plan to move DC.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest with you Metro, it doesn't matter to me. It seems that people from other states are the one that has issues. You put it where you see it fit. What ever works the best for Urbanplanet.org

To be honest with you Metro, it doesn't matter to me. It seems that people from other states are the one that has issues. You put it where you see it fit. What ever works the best for Urbanplanet.org

:rofl: What's going on with the double posts today rus? :lol:

The question is, do you guys want VA to stay in the Northeast, or do you want to move to the Atlantic section.

It is funny after I thought about what you are really asking. Does Virginia belong with the southern states or the northern? LOL :yahoo:

I really don't have a preferance myself though.

I still say geographically on the continent, we're also northeastern. NC is southeastern. Besides, Megalopolis is from Portland, Me to Norfolk, Va. Why split that up? Not every place have all similar characteristics and some people need to shake Va's history of being in the Confederacy. What would they have done if Maryland and Delaware had separated too being slave states also?

I still say geographically on the continent, we're also northeastern. NC is southeastern. Besides, Megalopolis is from Portland, Me to Norfolk, Va. Why split that up? Not every place have all similar characteristics and some people need to shake Va's history of being in the Confederacy. What would they have done if Maryland and Delaware had separated too being slave states also?

Virginia's "urban" areas identify much more with the Northeast than the South. I vote Northeast.

I knew that megalopolis part would get someone, I was actually gonna mention it myself. I actually voted Atlantic states because its as close to "midatlantic" as we have. This poll is turning out much like I expected with it pretty much split down the middle. I will say this, I posted in every off topic thread in the Virginia forum for people to vote and everyone one better do it, cause after a decision is made I don't want to hear anymore complaining. :lol: This horse has been thoroughly beat. deadhorse.gif

I knew that megalopolis part would get someone, I was actually gonna mention it myself. I actually voted Atlantic states because its as close to "midatlantic" as we have. This poll is turning out much like I expected with it pretty much split down the middle. I will say this, I posted in every off topic thread in the Virginia forum for people to vote and everyone one better do it, cause after a decision is made I don't want to hear anymore complaining. :lol: This horse has been thoroughly beat. deadhorse.gif

Oh I love the dead horse. (Why can't I use the link?)

Southwestern Va to me is more Appalachian. Southside Va can lean a little with NC with the exception of Hampton Roads.

I still say geographically on the continent, we're also northeastern. NC is southeastern. Besides, Megalopolis is from Portland, Me to Norfolk, Va. Why split that up? Not every place have all similar characteristics and some people need to shake Va's history of being in the Confederacy.

But yall have statues and memorials all over the place to remind us. :D

When the Hampton Roads sprawl meets up with that of the NC Triangle, will NC become "the Northeast" as well? ;)

That's a stretch. But no, North Carolina is definitely more southern than Virginia. As I said, people need to separate history from geography. Yes, Richmond was the capital of the South, but even then we were more northern, that was one reason Richmond was picked. It wasn't like other cities in the south. Even had the South won the war, Richmond probably wouldn't have kept its status as the capital. It kind of stinks being in the middle... However, the boundary between VA/NC, continued between KY/TN, makes a clear, neat boundary between regions also.

Is it that between DC and Richmond and Richmond and Norfolk it's not as overdeveloped as it is further up the coast? Is it because of population? Is it slavery? Is it the slower pace of life? The lower cost of living? Do we have accents (aside from sw Va)? The lack of major professional teams? Monument Ave? Is it plantations? No village greens (that I know of)?

This is a no brainer guys. Atlantic state is a much better representation. It gets rid of the whole north south debate. Deal with it guys, we are an atlantic state. Atlantic describes the east coast south much better.

I always thought of Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, DC, Pennsylvania and maybe Southern New Jersey as the mid-atlantic. I don't know if anyone has suggested a mid-atlantic forum. Whatever Vdogg decides is good with me.

The atlantic section has been renamed the midatlantic section, so if we do make the move it will be far more descriptive of our geographic location. This is very fluid now as we're still working things out so the states that exist in the midatlantic currently may not be there in the final product. We are trying our best to accomodate the most people possible but in the end there is always going to be somebody that is unhappy with the results.

That's a stretch. But no, North Carolina is definitely more southern than Virginia. As I said, people need to separate history from geography. Yes, Richmond was the capital of the South, but even then we were more northern, that was one reason Richmond was picked. It wasn't like other cities in the south. Even had the South won the war, Richmond probably wouldn't have kept its status as the capital. It kind of stinks being in the middle... However, the boundary between VA/NC, continued between KY/TN, makes a clear, neat boundary between regions also.

Is it that between DC and Richmond and Richmond and Norfolk it's not as overdeveloped as it is further up the coast? Is it because of population? Is it slavery? Is it the slower pace of life? The lower cost of living? Do we have accents (aside from sw Va)? The lack of major professional teams? Monument Ave? Is it plantations? No village greens (that I know of)?

Got news for you there, chief. Va is definately Southern. From culture, to history, to politics, to lifestyle, to business. As said eariler in another post, that small section of NOVA isn't an indication of how the rest of the state is.

Hampton Roads is full of people from the Northeast so it has a northern and southern culture. Me personally I forgot about the civil war in history class. I could care less if they put us in the West forum.

:rofl: indeed. Perhaps we should focus this debate a little more. This is not about history or how the civil war ended. This is about where the Virginia forumers would prefer their forum be, that's all. We are here to serve folks, if the majority of the Virginians on this site identify with a particular location, then that's where the forum is going. So cast your votes, and leave that poor horse alone, he's been through enough. :lol:

Oh I love the dead horse. (Why can't I use the link?)

Because I saved it to my photobucket account, it's not a site option.

Archived