Do you guys Want to move to the new Atlantic Section?

monsoon

Do you guys Want to move to the new Atlantic Section?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys Want to move to the new Atlantic Section?

• No
    • Yes
    • What Change?

I would tend to classify Virginia as a Mid-Atlantic state, but I would define "Mid-Atlantic" as including Virginia, Columbia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New York. My vote went to include Virginia in the Northeast section because I think it is unquestionably more like those states than it is like Georgia, Tennessee or even North Carolina. This is especially true for Virginia's urban areas and, since this is a site dedicated to urban issues, that must have some weight.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the argument for including states like Tennessee and Kentucky in the Mid-Atlantic section? They don't even have coasts! None of the others seem to fit the description either, with the exception of Virginia. I would not at all object to the Mid-Atlantic designation if that section were to include other actual Mid-Atlantic states.

I found this map on the Federal Government website...This isn't my personal opinion or view, it comes from our government. Judging from this map DE,MD,VA,NC & WASH, D.C. can be grouped in the newly revamped MID-ATLANTIC FORUM. A few people posted that we should forget history, and basically step up to present day, but we all know that you have to "Know Where You Come From To Get To Where You're Going".

I think this map makes a good point about there being an "Atlantic Section" on this site.... I hope the map shows up...lol. Kinda hard to get my point across w/o the map.

If it doesn't here's the link:

http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/img/usa.gif

What is the argument for including states like Tennessee and Kentucky in the Mid-Atlantic section? They don't even have coasts! None of the others seem to fit the description either, with the exception of Virginia. I would not at all object to the Mid-Atlantic designation if that section were to include other actual Mid-Atlantic states.

As i said above, some of the states that are there currently may not be there in the final design. This has been brought up and is being discussed. The thing that everyone should focus on is what Virginia's part is. Should Virginia be in the midatlantic region? The appropriatness of the other states will be discussed and dealt with in due time. What we're trying to gauge is whether Virginians would consider themselves part of/want to be part of a midatlantic region?

What's wrong with those Northern states? In HR most of us have family and connections to those states! :angry:

Born and raised in Va and still don't feel real southern to me

Russ,

I was wondering what that meant too....I guess you will get your answer soon enough, but I have a question for some of you from VA. I think everyone can read my name and tell I'm from NY. Ok..with that aside, I travel to VA & NC alot...Honestly once you step outside of HR's downtowns or town centers (Norfolk's to be exact), it's looks the same as any Major City in NC..... Especially in the HR's area. I've had family from Hampton go to Charlotte, and can't tell the difference except for the ocean front view HR's has. That really is the only difference separating any city in VA (Except NOVA).

I think people should "really" go out pass Downtown Norfolk, and show the neighborhoods in Hampton, Cheasapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth... then compare them with the neighborhoods in Greensboro,Durham, W-S, Charlotte. I bet you will find they look pretty much the same. I can say for a fact that nothing in HR really has a northern feel to it except for some of the people you may run into from the NE that's relocated there. The same can be said for Raleigh, Durham, W-S, and Charlotte. Richmond is the same way, once you leave the "Fan District" and some of the other neighborhoods that are adjacent to the center city, the style of housing are the same as other cities I've seen around the south. I'm not writing this to start a fight with anyone..this is just a view from a northern outsider. No I don't know VA or NC the way the natives do, but I'm not blind. I worked the Mid-Atlantic Region for Sony Music, and VA along with NC was part of my region.

I don't know if any of you guys remember the record stores Willie's? Well they were located only in the MD,VA,NC & D.C. This is why I say what I say about the neighborhoods in VA & NC...Because I was out there in the hoods, and they looked the same to me.

I hope I didn't get too much off on a rant, but I just wanted to share that.

I don't think Rus was saying he has a problem with midatlantic (or even truly cares). Rus is pretty much along the same lines as I, no problem with the midatlantic designation whatsoever, it was the southern designation that was the problem because in a lot of respects this area truly doesn't feel southern. I have no prob being grouped with NC because there is lots in common and our metro area even crosses the state line. I actually always viewed the midatlantic forum including NC, some of the other states admittedly I did not. But as for Virginia I can say it's definately a midatlantic state if for nothing else than geography. It's sort of the compromise between those who consider it Northeast and those who consider it south.

I don't think Rus was saying he has a problem with midatlantic (or even truly cares). Rus is pretty much along the same lines as I, no problem with the midatlantic designation whatsoever, it was the southern designation that was the problem because in a lot of respects this area truly doesn't feel southern. I have no prob being grouped with NC because there is lots in common and our metro area even crosses the state line. I actually always viewed the midatlantic forum including NC, some of the other states admittedly I did not. But as for Virginia I can say it's definately a midatlantic state if for nothing else than geography. It's sort of the compromise between those who consider it Northeast and those who consider it south.

V Dogg,

I know he wasn't saying that, I should've been a little clearer...I really wanted to just to find out what he thought about the communities directly outside of the urban cores of both VA & NC that would make one state seem more urban than the other.

I can see your point about VA & NC having things in common, that's why I don't really speak about other states when it comes to grouping of the regions. I just think NC much like VA can be grouped in Mid-Atlantic / South region. Honestly I think Greensboro, Durham, W-S has more of a Mid-Atlantic feel that Charlotte. That's why I think VA & NC should be grouped together no matter where they end up... the cities have alot in common.

I can see your point about VA & NC having things in common, that's why I don't really speak about other states when it comes to grouping of the regions. I just think NC much like VA can be grouped in Mid-Atlantic / South region. Honestly I think Greensboro, Durham, W-S has more of a Mid-Atlantic feel that Charlotte. That's why I think VA & NC should be grouped together no matter where they end up... the cities have alot in common.

Begin rant. You've been warned. ;)

VA & NC have more in common, on balance than MD. Sure, NOVA (that small segment of the state, geographically speaking) can relate to the people across the Potomac, as no one living in these areas is a native (this goes for both NOVA & MD), but compare the Central & Southern parts of the state, and you will see a region that has much commonality with NC, and even TN.

As someone who's family hails from VA & has strong ties to the state, I honor her past, present & future. Virginians are a proud people who do look forward, but are fiercely proud of where they came from. She is the Mother of Presidents. She was the Capital of the Confederacy. She was the bithplace of American commerce, law & education. The blood of two wars stains more of her earth than any other state.

Like it or not, native Virginians are deeply rooted in the South. To me, anyone who tries to compare or even "force" us into part of the northeast has no regard (or memory) for history, and frankly, I find it offensive when I hear people who want to pigeon-hole VA into the north, simply due to location & types of development. To me, making a case for VA to be in a northern forum simply because the downtown of one city can be compared to one up north is...well...foolhardy at best, and totally goes against all the salient points I've made above.

Rant over.

If you are so passionate about Va why do you live in SC? I grew up here and still live here. I don't see the big deal with it being in the south or the north. People need to pull their heads out of the Civil War era and not be so sensitive about this subject. The confederacy is dead and we are in America. Also the purpose of this was to ask Virginians that are still in Va what they thought about moving. I see more people outside of Va ranting about the southern thing. To me we are what we are and thats it. I don't want to be like anyone else and Va is unique. And in HR you can tell someone that is from NC and the lifestyle from Moyock is different than that of Norfolk.

If you are so passionate about Va why do you live in SC?

:rofl:

This isn't about wars, or culture, or hatred for outsiders, this is about how best to organize the forum so that the mods can handle it and so that the members can navigate it. If it is going to cause a second war between the states, we can simple label areas, "State Grouping 1," "State Grouping 2" and so on...

If you are so passionate about Va why do you live in SC? I grew up here and still live here. I don't see the big deal with it being in the south or the north. People need to pull their heads out of the Civil War era and not be so sensitive about this subject. The confederacy is dead and we are in America. Also the purpose of this was to ask Virginians that are still in Va what they thought about moving. I see more people outside of Va ranting about the southern thing. To me we are what we are and thats it. I don't want to be like anyone else and Va is unique. And in HR you can tell someone that is from NC and the lifestyle from Moyock is different than that of Norfolk.

My work has me in SC...and I'm not complaining. SC is a great state also. Sometimes though, you lend up wherever life takes you.

And there's much more to VA than just HR & NOVA. They occupy a very small part of the state. Where you're located, you're not too far from peanut & cotton farmers, and pork producers. Go visit them, and tell me your area doesn't have a connection to NC & points south.

Anyway, it's a moot point now. The people have spoken & the mods have rightly placed VA where she belongs...in the South! :yahoo::thumbsup:

I prefer NE, but whatever. NE, SE, or "Upper South" people who want to find VA will.

:lol: The bait and switch got a lot of folks. First the poll was about moving to the atlantic, and then the mid atlantic, then we woke up one morning and it said "upper south" :rofl: . I too preferred NE and Mid-Atlantic to anything else but I'm glad it's over. Now we can move on to bigger and better things. :thumbsup:

:lol: The bait and switch got a lot of folks. First the poll was about moving to the atlantic, and then the mid atlantic, then we woke up one morning and it said "upper south" :rofl: . I too preferred NE and Mid-Atlantic to anything else but I'm glad it's over. Now we can move on to bigger and better things. :thumbsup:

What kills me is that non-Virginians were worried about where we were located. I was fine where we were. I feel more Mid-Atlantic than truely Southern.

• 1 month later...

Archived