Zoos

AceMentor

FWIW, within the last 18 months, I visited the zoos in St. Louis, Ft. Worth, Chicago (Lincoln Park), Memphis, and Birmingham.

The first two are easily among the largest zoos I've ever visited. St. Louis might hold a little edge as the best I've ever visited, though I like them all.

The others are quite enjoyable, too, just not as huge.

I'll give San Diego's a try this October.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, within the last 18 months, I visited the zoos in St. Louis, Ft. Worth, Chicago (Lincoln Park), Memphis, and Birmingham.

The first two are easily among the largest zoos I've ever visited. St. Louis might hold a little edge as the best I've ever visited, though I like them all.

The others are quite enjoyable, too, just not as huge.

I'll give San Diego's a try this October.

That's cool, I'm a bit of a zoo tourist as well. Audobon Zoo in New Orleans is (was?) nice as well. I visited Tampa's and though not huge it was very classy and well-done with the best children's play area of any zoo I visited. I'll be in Atlanta in June and I'll probably check that one out.

I've been to the Audubon Zoo a few times, but not since the hurricane.

My favorite area there is the little place to eat lunch overlooking the alligators.

I haven't been to Tampa's yet (though Busch Gardens is great). If you're looking for a zoo with a nice children's play area that's not as far to drive as some of the others, I recommend Nashville's.

The Omaha zoo has the coolest "tropical rainforest" that I've ever been in. Omaha's zoo is quite nice for a mid-sized city or any city for that matter.

I'm from San Diego and saw a documentary on the Omaha Zoo and it looked very impressive- some exhibits would embarrass San Diego's. I would love to see the rain forest exhibit there and explore that zoo.

We have some great exhibits and some not so great here in San Diego. The trend of modern zoo's to "create" an environment that contains the bio-diversity (plants and animals) that represents some sections of the world is much more enjoyable than seeing animals in a cage.

The animals have become secondary in some of these great exhibits with waterfalls and exotic plants and such.

• 1 month later...

Archived