Historic Kempsville Master Plan

metalman

grrr... so am i. Why didn't they make this more public? I would've loved to attend.

It was public, but some of the announcements aren't as visible as others. The focus of that meeting had more to do with the Kempsville/PA intersection realignment (road focused). That project has been around for a long time. The neighborhood/urban design project has a more recent history, and more will come of that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Historic homes, new landscaping, parks, walking paths, and six lanes of traffic...man that will be truly inviting especially the six lanes of traffic. I'm sorry that just sounded funny to me for some reason. I'm sure it will better than what's there already there.

My sentiments exactly willy

My sentiments exactly willy

Its hard to visualize what they have planned for this area. I wondering if this is a suburban development that is suppose to feel like a urban village. I'm really not clear as what they want to do. I wish they would have brought out their thoughts a little more. :unsure:

Its hard to visualize what they have planned for this area. I wondering if this is a suburban development that is suppose to feel like a urban village. I'm really not clear as what they want to do. I wish they would have brought out their thoughts a little more. :unsure:

Sounds like a conglomarate of ideas, no ridgid standard. Maybe we could help by giving our own ideas, looks like were getting lot's of visitors these days. Maybe some of them will be seen.

I think the city of VB is trying to do too much at the same time in terms of development. They want the TC to keep growing and yes it is beginning to do so on it's own but at the same time, focus on that area before jumping off and trying to create what seems like a second city center type place. Kempsville doesn't seem like a place for this type of development, at least what it sounds like they are developing. I am all for the road improvements, but would rather see the city focusing completely on Pembroke and the Ocean Front areas...

I think the city of VB is trying to do too much at the same time in terms of development. They want the TC to keep growing and yes it is beginning to do so on it's own but at the same time, focus on that area before jumping off and trying to create what seems like a second city center type place. Kempsville doesn't seem like a place for this type of development, at least what it sounds like they are developing. I am all for the road improvements, but would rather see the city focusing completely on Pembroke and the Ocean Front areas...

This will be no where near the level, or intensity, of Town Center. There will be nothing in the Kempsville district that will draw anything away from TC truly. They are not trying to turn Kempsville into a business/economic/residential district. What it seems like they're trying to do, at least to me, is develop and emphasive a historic district complete with shops, other amenities, and some residential. TC is no more in danger from Kempsvilles district than it is from ghent or Fort Norfolk.

• 8 months later...

Public Meet Tommorw (11/30/06) at Kempsville Elementary-

The community is invited to attend a Citizen Information Meeting on the Witchduck Road Phase II Roadway Widening (CIP Project 2-025) on Thursday, Nov. 30, 4 to 7 p.m. at Kempsville Elementary School, 570 Kempsville Road.

The project, which will expand the road from four to six lanes from I-264 to Virginia Beach Boulevard, is part of the General Assembly

That's a great idea. The Historic Kempsville plan could really help to serve as a focus point for an overall scheme for that area. When you look around, it seems that some mixed use could help to lift up the area. The key element is to get the City to commit to the plan with some funding, so parcels can be assembled and developed in a manner consistant with these plans. Otherwise, it's just ideas on paper. Several million dollars could accomplish a great deal in there.

• 4 years later...

As many of you may have noticed, this project has been well underway for quite some time. The city has posted a FAQ online with the details and will soon have an entire website dedicated to the progress of the project. The website is supposed to be up and running this month.

As many of you may have noticed, this project has been well underway for quite some time. The city has posted a FAQ online with the details and will soon have an entire website dedicated to the progress of the project. The website is supposed to be up and running this month.

I live near the area, and the intersection looks like a war zone with buildings cleared and land moved. It is going to have a lot of growing pains as they start the Princess Anne section.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived