Hudson Corners

GSP Tiger

Hudson Corners is where Hammett Bridge/Old Spartanburg Road and Hudson Road meet. In the late 1980s, the only thing that existed was a church on one corner and The Pantry on another.

Around 1990, Hudson Corners Shopping Center was built. Harris Teeter opened their first upstate area store here, Eckerd relocated from a nearby previous store in Taylors' Eastgate Village and The Open Book had a small store at the far end. Amoco would go up across the street opposing The Pantry.

In 1992, The Pantry closed and was demolished for Brushy Creek Crossing. This site became occupied by Bi-Lo, Revco (now CVS pharmacy) and Wilson's dime store. It would undergo expansion later to accomodate restaurants such as Dragon Den, Subway, Broadway Bagels and Domino's Pizza.

Hardee's was the first fast food eatery to open up across from Harris Teeter on Old Spartanburg Road. McDonald's (circa 1997) and Arby's (circa 1999) would open up later. Hardee's closed in 2001 and its building demolished in 2004.

In 2001, Harris Teeter sold its Hudson Corner store along with other upstate locations to Bi-Lo. Food$mart, Bi-Lo's no frill stock up store, similar to Save-a-Lot, went in its space. It closed in March 2005.

Some retail updates to note:

-Port City Java is going up on Hudson Road accross from Brushy Creek Crossing.

-Cool Beans will occupy the former Carvel's ice cream/TCBY space on Old Spartanburg Road. Renovations are currently taking place.

-Grading work is taking place at the old Hardee's site on Old Spartanburg Road. Word is a drugstore will be going up there. According to a close friend, CVS has finalized plans to build a new freestanding store somewhere along Old Spartanburg Road replacing its Brushy Creek Crossing location.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumors have been going around about every coner their getting a drug store. My guess is now they are trying to do it at Brushy Creek at Old Spartanburg where Dr. Osbon is located, notice the rezoning signs?

My Opininon is that Brushy Creek Crossing has been the most successful of the Neighborhood centers in the Upsstate, that place is always packed and tennants move in but rearly move out.

Also, remember the Near Post (I think that is what it was called), it was a soccer store at Hudson Corners, it was very popular.

Rumors have been going around about every coner their getting a drug store. My guess is now they are trying to do it at Brushy Creek at Old Spartanburg where Dr. Osbon is located, notice the rezoning signs?

I heard his practice is attempting to expand its building.

Also, remember the Near Post (I think that is what it was called), it was a soccer store at Hudson Corners, it was very popular.

I briefly remember The Near Post. They outgrew their location and moved over beside Saskatoon on Haywood Road. I think Supercuts now occupies their former space at Hudson Corners.

I would agree, but that site is way too small for a grocer these days. It is also hard for trucks to pull in to deliver goods in the back. I would not mind seeing something like Fred's or Big Lots move in.

Well, the area's a bit too nice for a Big Lots or Freds. And I seem to recall plenty of room to the right of the location, behind McDonalds & where those Goodwill dumpsters are located, for expansion.

Yes, and it appears CVS would like to go up there.

Link: Residents seek to dispense with drugstore development

The Greenville News (SC)

2006/1/25

CVS would like to relocated into a new store at the corner of the 1300 and 1400 blocks at Brushy Creek Road where Dr. Osbon's dental office is presently located. The dental office would relocate upward the 1400 block of Brushy Creek Road into a new facility.

I hope some freestanding drugstore goes up on the site, especially CVS. It is hard enough trying to get into and out of the current Brushy Creek Crossing CVS and Hudson Corners Eckerd. That area's traffic is much worse than the Brushy Creek Road/Hammett Bridge-Old Spartanburg Road/East North Street-Old Spartanburg Road intersection, which was improved nearly four years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Driving by the Hudson Corners area this afternoon, I notice some activity.

Cool Beans opened for business in the former Carvel's last month.

Across the street, grading has been completed at the former Hardee's site. Although they do not have a coming soon sign up yet, this will be CVS's new location according to a contractor and my friend who works at CVS.

Construction on the new Port City Java on Hudson Road has stalled. Grading is complete, yet no one to find to build the store.

• 1 month later...

The Ace Hardware coming soon sign is up. The building's foundation has been powed with cement.

I'm aware of no changes at the site CVS wants to build its new freestanding store. The rezoning signs were removed over a month ago. The building process may be delayed with the dental office relocating or CVS may have interest in another site nearby. CVS and Eckerd will have competition later this year when Bi-Lo opens its pharmacy department for a complete The Drugstore at Bi-Lo.

Archived