Topic Ratings

monsoon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have enabled topic ratings for Grand Rapids to see if it would be of benefit to the forumers here. Anybody at members+ level can rate the topic. Look for the option. Enjoy!

Is that because we're extra awesome and viewed by trillions? :D

BTW, I like the idea

Great idea monsoon! It gives us mods (and others who start topics) feedback as to what people like to talk about. Even though number of responses is usually a good indicator, it's not always.

It would be cool if you could set a preference (I looked in the control panel didn't see anything) so that you didn't see topics with say Less 3 stars.

Let me be the first to say: what is the point of this?

I think part of it has to do with deciding if I want to read a topic. If I go away for 3 days, and come back to 3 new pages of topics, I'll be more inclined to worry about the 4 and 5 stars as they're probably interesting and have some juicy scoopage. It's much like Slashdot (if you read that) and thier mod points. The nice thing would be if I could just ignore things less than a certain rating (much like slashdot). That means members have found the topic useless/offtopic/flame and I wouldn't waste my time reading junk I don't care about.

Can you also rate posts? Such as if GRDad comes in and says "Hey, I just heard xxx building is going to be 90 stories" we could rate that as 5 stars, and if someone else comes in and says "No way will it be xxx stories because GR is to conservative" we could rate it 1 star as "pointless"?

Can you also rate posts? Such as if GRDad comes in and says "Hey, I just heard xxx building is going to be 90 stories" we could rate that as 5 stars, and if someone else comes in and says "No way will it be xxx stories because GR is to conservative" we could rate it 1 star as "pointless"?

:rofl:

It will be interesting to see if people can differentiate between rating a particular "post" vs. a "topic". If you don't agree with a post, you might be inclined to give it a low rating (even though the topic is a good one). Although one low rating on a 50+ reply topic probably will not change the average that much (assuming that most people rate it).

I think part of it has to do with deciding if I want to read a topic. If I go away for 3 days, and come back to 3 new pages of topics, I'll be more inclined to worry about the 4 and 5 stars as they're probably interesting and have some juicy scoopage. It's much like Slashdot (if you read that) and thier mod points. The nice thing would be if I could just ignore things less than a certain rating (much like slashdot). That means members have found the topic useless/offtopic/flame and I wouldn't waste my time reading junk I don't care about.

As long as we know what exaclty we are voting on I think it's ok. I wouldn't mind rating topics based on relevancy. They started rating stories on msnbc and some of the most read articles get the worst reviews because people don't really know what they are voting for.

Can you change your rating if a thread starts going off topic?

EDIT:

After reading 3dad's post, can you rate each individual post?

I don't think it's a bad idea, but what might happen is nearly every post will have either 4 or 5 stars, because almost all the threads are decent, IMO.

But we might just be unique in that way, i've seen other topics elswhere here that make me go :dontknow: what's the point...

As long as we know what exaclty we are voting on I think it's ok. I wouldn't mind rating topics based on relevancy. They started rating stories on msnbc and some of the most read articles get the worst reviews because people don't really know what they are voting for.

Can you change your rating if a thread starts going off topic?

EDIT:

After reading 3dad's post, can you rate each individual post?

You can hit the rating bar every time you post (or more if you want). There's no limit apparently, so in essence, yes you can psychologically rate a post.

You can hit the rating bar every time you post (or more if you want). There's no limit apparently, so in essence, yes you can psychologically rate a post.

It is limited to one rating per user. You can alter results by voting more than once. Subsequent votes for the rating of a thread will make the system recognize it as a changed vote for your user ID instead of an additional vote.

It is limited to one rating per user. You can alter results by voting more than once. Subsequent votes for the rating of a thread will make the system recognize it as a changed vote for your user ID instead of an additional vote.

Which is good.. because a lot of topics start off well, and quickly go down the toilet.

So how do we rate the watering hole? Do we give it a one because its off topic, or do we give it a 5 because the topic is off topic and therefore cant be off topic? :dontknow:

I'd give it 5 because the topic is off topic making any topic right on topic.. if you follow me :good:

I don't like the idea. It clutters the space, and it just gives people who don't participate in discussion a tool kick away the topics. Believe it or not, if a topic comes up and is useful, chances are it will stay up there and continue quality discussion. I don't need a rating system to tell me that. Sorry for the rant, but thanks for giving Grand Rapids forum to test it.

Archived