MetLife apartment tower

eastsider

After about 18 months of delays, MetLife Inc. has a new partner to develop it's 28-story apartment tower at 101 Colorado St next to MetLifes' 22-story office tower. The Hanover Company has come on board to help move the project forward, groundbreaking is now set to take place on April 1st. The building will contain 196 apartments and 6 townhouses with the average apartment size being 1,400 sf and renting for $2,800 a month.

Austin American-Statesman: High-end downtown residential project set to move forward

astmetlife1pr.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would appear the project has been re-designed to accommodate existing views for the adjacent office building. The original design ignored this feature and would have resulted in a 40-50% vacancy rate for the office building. Now let's see how the designers of the just announced, 'tallest building in Austin', just across 2nd Street responds to this building......

I concur with the new design. It will be a welcome addition to Austin's skyline. I hope the developers stay true to the design concept submitted. I am even more intrigued by the 'services' the project alludes to offer to compensate for the higher rents. Such concierge services will certainly rachet up this project to equal those found only in other major metropolitain cities. Austin is ready for this niche, but only if it kept weird (uniquely Austin).

• 3 months later...

I have not heard of the project off Second and Congress going after the Tallest? When did this information come out and by whom? As Far as I know Tom Stacey's 5th at Congress will be the tallest at 705 Feet.

As Far as Metlife, They were supposed to start ground at the begining of April, now moved to May. I will be going through that area this week to see if they have actually started clearing the lot for groundbreaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Well again they seem to be playing with our heads or something because so far there has been no movement on the site. They havn't closed down the parking lot and I don't see any sign that they are going to stop using the parking lot anytime soon. They have constantly moved back the date for this building to break ground and I am wondering why? Anybody got any Idea's?

^^ Could it be because the project has expanded and more time is needed to rework plans? Haven't seen any news on it, but The Hanover Company's website now has the project listed at 36-stories and 258 apartment units. There is also a new rendering with the apartment tower now quite a bit taller than the office tower.

http://www.hanoverco.com/

look for 101 Colorado under mixed-use in the protfolio section.

^^ Could it be because the project has expanded and more time is needed to rework plans? Haven't seen any news on it, but The Hanover Company's website now has the project listed at 36-stories and 258 apartment units. There is also a new rendering with the apartment tower now quite a bit taller than the office tower.

http://www.hanoverco.com/

look for 101 Colorado under mixed-use in the protfolio section.

Wow this is interesting. Seems like just about every project in downtown Austin keeps getting taller.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The lot at 101 Colorado has been closed, and barricades are now up. Construction should soon start on a 36 story apartment tower with 258 units, as well as 1,000 square feet of street level retail.

Here is a link to an Austin-American Statesman article about it, as well as two other highrise residential towers that will break ground in the next several months.

Article about construction starting on this project.

Construction barriers already are in place and demolition of the drive-in bank that now occupies the site could begin this week. The first residents could move in by fall 2008.

"Obviously, to add eight stories, that speaks volumes about their belief in the strength of the downtown Austin residential market," Armbrust said.

Austin American-Statesman: Downtown high-rise will soar even higher

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived