Brikyaat Development Project

GRDadof3

I agree this should not go through. There are some nice homes in the area but there are also really crappy houses in the area, my friend lives right in the middle of the ashby row area, nothing too great. Do people need to be in some historic zone so they will take care of their houses? I also believe this will hold back future development. I love the idea of browstones in this area! Whatever happened to the Brikyaat master plan that wanted to add browstones throughout the area? I wouldn't even mind a Midtowne-like density development in Ashby Row or Brikyaat. If we make every neighborhood outside downtown historic, it could really constrict the core and growth.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let market economics help these areas become more than what they currently are. Is there history here? Yes. Could these neighborhoods become something better? I think so.

I've honestly always envisioned a Lincoln Park-type area slowly developing in these areas as more and more people from Medical Mile want to live close

Both of these study proposals are being put forward by the Midtown Neighborhood Association. They actually state in their supporting documents that they want to keep homes in those areas "affordable". How does increasing improvement and upkeep costs preserve affordability?

I think what they are afraid of based on the letters is that they have seen development along Michigan Ave, where homes have been removed for development, and don't want that to happen (mainly to Ashby Row). They're probably referring to Mid Towne Village (?). I personally don't think we're going to see a repeat of Mid Towne Village any time soon. It was very complicated and took many years to bring to fruition. Also, look at the failed Broadway and 1st development? Way too complicated and probably won't happen again.

Maybe what they should be looking at is establishing an NEZ (Neighborhood Enterprise Zone). That way, any improvements can be made to the homes and they won't see corresponding increases in property taxes. But I'm sure some in Midtown would say they don't want "cheap junky" upgrades made to the homes.

In the areas that have been designated historic districts in the last 10 years, what happened to property values? Anyone know?

The most interesting and unique streets are left out of their proposal. Stormzand and Mack all have small lot sizes, homes close together and give it a feel unlike any other in West Michigan, yet they did not include these in their proposed district. Could it have something to do with their desire to tear these all down in the original Brickyaat plan? Is this a back handed tactic to get their way? A year from now, they can say "well, those houses are not in the Historical District" which will undervalue them in the minds of many. This smells fishy to me.

The most interesting and unique streets are left out of their proposal. Stormzand and Mack all have small lot sizes, homes close together and give it a feel unlike any other in West Michigan, yet they did not include these in their proposed district. Could it have something to do with their desire to tear these all down in the original Brickyaat plan? Is this a back handed tactic to get their way? A year from now, they can say "well, those houses are not in the Historical District" which will undervalue them in the minds of many. This smells fishy to me.

That reminds me...You know the houses on the south side of the street just east of the gas station at Michigan & College? The first one is a beautiful Victorian, and the ones next door are very Heritage Hill-esque. I think these should be protected. Now, Grubb & Ellis has signs out front. It would be a shame to tear them down. I wonder why Midtown doesn't do more to protect these.

The HPC hates "upgrades" such as the ones I was joking about. The idea is to keep the exterior of the structure looking "original," which can preclude modern windows and other recent developments.

In the Brikyaat area, there are places available for less than $50k (much less). And they've been vacant a while. I doubt that adding a level of approvals to maintenance and upgrades (i.e. the HPC) will benefit the neighborhood. (Gutters are not historic. Nor are drainspouts. Metal exterior doors. Lattice. Long list of what's acceptable and what will get you cited.)

I'm all for stringent zoning and maintaining property values, but I don't see the landlords from Rockford and Grandville spending much capital nor effort on their holdings right now.

It would be cool to have a plaque by my front door; metal.

ETA: what GRU just typed.

ETA: strap on your jet pack and take a look.

Live Search Maps http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...5&encType=1

Serious? $25k? I'll buy five! I've always wanted to purchase those two flat-roofed houses on Holland St., right next to the Car repair place. Someone let me know if they get foreclosed on. :)

Joe

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Move-Mid...idtown+neighbor

Got $25k? You can be my neighbor. (But you have to turn off your CAPS LOCK.)

[note to realty agent: pay yer cell phone bill!]

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I never liked the idea of Brickyaat as it seems like the houses are just old; no redeeming value. Plus, I don't like the fact that the plans call for ripping down houses, then calling almost the exact same housing stock historic. I will say, however, that with an expanded Farmer's Market, it would be a great anchor to a neighborhood, and maybe the houses are worth the designation for what they were (though I don't think that there is much in the way of historic value, I'll give it a try; there are some really cool historic neighborhoods down south that are made up of very small houses).

Ashby Row on the other hand seems like a Nimby approach to keep development away. I will agree that there are structures worth saving, and the housing stock is of a certain quality/era, but it is by no means out of the ordinary. In fact, I'd say this area looks much like many other areas circling the city.

I think making any ole area historic takes away from the Historic districts we already have (and are there for a reason).

I'm a huge architecture buff, love old buildings, etc. but based on housing stock alone, Ashby Row seems inadequate to me, and Brickyaat seems well-organized and thought out, but maybe a little too high on itself.

Joe

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does GR currently have a farmers/city market? If so where is it and whats it like? I ask because Lansing just approved the construction of a new City Market, it will have about 14k sq ft of year-round space and a few thousand more in a seasonal pavillion.

Archived