Reigning 'Cats and Dogs' in downtown W-S

twincity

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've personally seen this idea in two other cities. Norfolk had mermaids, and DC has pandas, elephants and donkeys. I love this idea for Winston-Salem, I just wish it wasnt so temporary. maybe a few of them can be permanent installations along Trade St. like in downtown DC. These pieces should thicken the crowd this spring/summer.

article

YAAAAYY.... large scale public art project in downtown W-S!! Is it just me or does this seem like some sort of milestone in revitilization?

yea I know alot of cities have that kind of theme. In Atlanta there are bulls (particularly near underground Atlanta) Greensboro has "gates" all over downtown which represents The Gate City. It would be great if Winston-Salem had a permanant art display.

This is good news for downtown although I would have to admit that I'd be more partial to dogs than cats, but that's just me.

There used to be public art installations downtown a couple of years ago (eg. the sculpture on the corner of 4th and Cherry with the box being turned upside down with all of the people falling out of it). What happened to it? Was it just temporary or was it vandalized or something?

This is good news for downtown although I would have to admit that I'd be more partial to dogs than cats, but that's just me.

There used to be public art installations downtown a couple of years ago (eg. the sculpture on the corner of 4th and Cherry with the box being turned upside down with all of the people falling out of it). What happened to it? Was it just temporary or was it vandalized or something?

Yeah I wondered that too! There was also one that had paper clips linked together and it looked awesome!

While I know this fits in with the sponsor, I wish someone would do this with camels! I know, probably not PC.....

That's really a good idea but I'm sure someone would be offended somehow or another. Someone would say that if you look at a statue of camel you would instantly become a pack a day smoker. :dontknow:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it was a success. Can someone take photos?

Here is a map of the sculptures.

I went downtown this evening and could only find 3 of the dogs out!! It looks as if they are on wheeled carts and are brought in at night and some were incorporated into window displays. I will try to get downtown during some events or earlier in the day, get out of the car, and snap some pics!!

Here is a link to one puppy dog at Mellow Mushroom!Picture of Blue dog @ Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria :shades:

Archived