Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

intcvlcphlga

Maryland forces Wal-Mart to pay its fair share

Wal-Mart, famous for its low prices, doesn't come across those prices honestly according to the Maryland state legislature which passed a law that will force the big box giant to pay its fair share of its own employees health costs. I'm not sure where Wal-Mart employees and their dependents rank on the state's Medicaid dole, but in many states including NC's neighbor, Georgia, Wal-Mart employees and their dependents rank second among employers (after gov't employees) with employees on the state dole. Maryland's new law was the subject of a Thursday editorial in the Winston-Salem Journal :

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509188

Should NC follow suit?

Maryland's a more "blue" state than NC, so I don't even know if this would work here. It would probably get shot down at some level of government. Interesting read though.

It should be a red state priority to follow suit with Maryland. It does not shrink the size of government or the welfare state when one of the largest employers in the country, and in individual states, keep many of their employees on welfare.

I believe NC and many other states should follow suit.

It should be a red state priority to follow suit with Maryland. It does not shrink the size of government or the welfare state when one of the largest employers in the country, and in individual states, keep many of their employees on welfare.

I believe NC and many other states should follow suit.

We should follow suit. But you're missing the rationalization against it. People who advocate Capitalism at all costs care more about the immediate presence of regulation than the end result of slimming down the need for welfare. They blithely ignore history and think the free market will generate human rights on its own.

NC is pretty grey for a red state. The democrats have a bit more control in state government, and many local governments, but many of those fall under the fiscal conservative classification.

If we pushed for it, we might have a chance, but it would be hard. I personally think NC could only gain businesses and jobs if it fought Walmart, but a lot of other people don't.

They blithely ignore history and think the free market will generate human rights on its own.

We actually don't know if it does or not. It has never been tried in America.

People have a choice to work or not work for Wal-Mart. They have a choice to view it as a career or just a temporary job.