New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

The official height of Trump International Hotel and Tower New Orleans was released today, and this thing will be the tallest building in the city and the state....and then some!

The official height of Trump New Orleans will be 842 feet, with the building being 716 feet tall, and the 126 foot spire topping it out at 842 feet. As has been mentioned, the City Planning Commission postponed a vote on the building for two weeks pending a traffic study. However, it has been said by everyone involved in the project that the project recieved a extremely favorable responce from the council, and that this thing is basically a done deal. Very exciting news for New Orleans!

Article from the Times-Picayune

Good, So New Orleans will again have the tallest building between Houston and Atlanta. I will be interesting to see them build on this site since it is so small. Anyone Know who the contractor is. I also here the facade on this building will be exactly the same as the one on Trump Chicago. It is a reallly nice glass on that one, so it should be beautiful! I wonder how the building will be lit up at night?

So Trump Tower New Orleans will be a 146 feet taller than the next tallest building with its spire. Thats a sizeable difference. Let hope the spire has some presence and isnt just a glorified flagpole.

Also, does anyone know whats up with the world trade center showing up on Bidclerk. Could it be a big project about to be announced! I know the rights just reverted back to the city to find another developer, so could be about to actually happen. If it is that was a very fast deal!

So if this showed up on bidclerk over the last week that means something is up then.

Unfortunately the bidclerk posting was made on 9/07/06. The article announcing the deal fell through was dated 10/30/06. One of these days someone will turn that old building into a jewel.

No, this is the Cosmopolitan Hotel being built on the edge of the French Quarter.

New Orleans: 26 story Royal Cosmopolitan Hotel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New Orleans City Planning Commission recently voted to allow developers Angelo Farrell and Lee LaPorte to build an additional nine floors to a planned hotel tower in the 100 block of Royal Street. Developers say the project will revitalize the entire block of Royal Street. Last year the Planning Commission voted to authorize a 17-story, 178-foot tower. The recent vote allows the tower to reach 268 feet.

Farrell and LaPorte paid $3.2 million for the site in 2005.

Renderings will be posted when available.

I see Councilmember Head is proposing a temporary height limit in the CBD-9 area of the Central Business District. Seems like Tracage will always be the tallest building in this little area of the Warehouse District. That basically guarantees great views from those condos.

The project turned up yesterday on bidclerk. They could have opted for non-challenging boxy design but chose something daring and refreshing. It should be a striking complex when completed.

Description:

Site work and new construction of a multi-residential development in New Orleans. Design plans call for the construction of two, 35-story towers with 366 senior citizen units and 350 conventional condominiums.

Construction is expected to commence in April 2007. Interested parties may direct inquiries to the developer.

Divisions of Work:

General Requirements, Site Work -- Excavation, Paving, Landscaping, Grading, Fences & Gates, Termite Control, Concrete -- Cast-In-Place Concrete, Concrete Formwork, Concrete Reinforcement, Masonry / Stone -- CMU, Metals -- Structural Steel, Metal Decking, Metal Fabrications, Metal Framing, Wood / Plastics -- Carpentry, Casework, Millwork, Wood Trusses, Thermal / Moisture -- Roofing, Insulation, Caulking & Sealants, Flashing & Sheet Metal, Waterproofing, Doors / Windows -- Metal Doors & Frames, Wood Doors, Glazing, Access Doors, Sliding Doors, Hardware, Finishes -- Drywall, Plaster, Stucco, Paint, Tile, Carpet, Hardwood Flooring, VCT, Specialties -- Signage, Toilet & Bath Accessories, Fire Extinguishers, Mailboxes, Equipment -- Residential Appliances, Security Entrance Systems, Mechanical -- HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Electrical -- Wiring, Lighting, Telephone/Data Systems, Grounding

Thats weird, they dont look like they are twins. One looks shorter than the other. Maybe their will be different floor heights.

BTW, I see someone likes to look at Bidclerk now. Also, its great to see the World Trade Center deal wont have as many hurdles to satisfy for a new developer. That place needs to be done yesterday.

I wish they would tear the WTC down so they wouldn't be restricted by the existing footprint of the building. You could really put a breathtaking building up there. Imagine coming in by cruise ship to see a stunning building right on the river front. Or driving down Canal with a gleaming tower at the end.

I wish they would tear the WTC down so they wouldn't be restricted by the existing footprint of the building. You could really put a breathtaking building up there. Imagine coming in by cruise ship to see a stunning building right on the river front. Or driving down Canal with a gleaming tower at the end.

I don't think that it will happen soon , but something like that would be nice . The outside of the WTC looks hideous, but I think that with a great developer the WTC can be beautiful on the inside and outside

The plans that were in place by the would-be developer were quite nice. The building would have looked much more modern. I can't agree with demolishing the WTC. The International Trade Mart building was created by a merger of the International House and International Trade Mart. The WTC New Orleans was the first World Trade Center organization in the world. Throwing away an important part of international history like that would be a real shame.

The plans that were in place by the would-be developer were quite nice. The building would have looked much more modern. I can't agree with demolishing the WTC. The International Trade Mart building was created by a merger of the International House and International Trade Mart. The WTC New Orleans was the first World Trade Center organization in the world. Throwing away an important part of international history like that would be a real shame.

I agree 100%

interesting reading from the TP over the weekend. Any thoughts?

Market Street Power Plant

The huge site is just upriver from the Crescent City Connection between the popular Warehouse District and established Garden District neighborhoods.

1894 lithograph of the Market Street Power Plant

louisianalightpowerplant.jpg

Entergy New Orleans has sold one of its oldest, and perhaps most iconic, pieces of property to a Miami developer who has said he will redevelop the vacant Market Street Power Plant for public use, possibly including a museum, concert hall and shops. The land surrounding the building would be used for residential development.

Market Street Properties LLC, managed by Michael Samuel, paid Entergy New Orleans $10 million for the huge turn-of-the-century brick plant and surrounding property on Jan. 16. The plant began generating electricity in 1905 and has been out of operation since 1973.

The complex as it exists today, revealing evidence of 34 years of inactivity.

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0868.jpg

DSCN0866.jpg

This redevelopment is very promising because of its desirable location along the River near the Convention Center and opposite a very large new condominium sector.

Thats one thing you have to say is so great about past generations. Even things like a power plant were built to be so beautiful. I mean, look at that building, its absolutely gorgeous.

Anyway, I saw older plans for this site, but not sure if that is the same company that ended up buying it. I will try and find out some more info if there is any as to how and what the devlopment scheme for this will be. I think the Convention Center expansion that isnt happening now will be a negative for that area. So until the Convention property is addressed, it will be very difficult to connect this area to the rest of downtown. But Certainly this will be very nice one day. I hope they do something similar to Twiropa because I loved that place.