New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Its more than just the weather. high crime activity, poor public school performance, along with a strained health care system.

Not to mention extremly poor distribution of Road Home grants and other funding. I was walking home from getting a haircut and I was thinking that I was going to get shot. Its just so..... Words cant even begin to describe my thoughts on the City of New Orleans

City corruption, lack of real infastructure advancements, and overall quality of life. I'll give the city till 2010 when I am finish up school. Hopefully by then these problems will just be a bad memory....(like thats ever going to happen).

I love New Orleans with all my heart and want to see it surpass its former glory, but I cant live in New Orleans with its current condition.

Edited by nola17

Its more than just the weather. high crime activity, poor public school performance, along with a strained health care system.

Not to mention extremly poor distribution of Road Home grants and other funding. I was walking home from getting a haircut and I was thinking that I was going to get shot. Its just so..... Words cant even begin to describe my thoughts on the City of New Orleans

City corruption, lack of real infastructure advancements, and overall quality of life. I'll give the city till 2010 when I am finish up school. Hopefully by then these problems will just be a bad memory....(like thats ever going to happen).

I love New Orleans with all my heart and want to see it surpass its former glory, but I cant live in New Orleans with its current condition.

now i can't argue with that

Nola...what made you think you would get shot? I've never had that thought cross my mind when I'm in the city. Was there a person nearby with a threatening look or posture? I go to church at South Carrollton and Willow...btw it survived the tornado according to the pastor...and the neighborhood across Carrollton isn't that great...but I've never felt in danger walking around that area. From what I've experienced in my 3 years here...if you aren't involved in the drug trade...you are fairly safe. Maybe I've just been lucky.

The rest of the problems you mentioned are being corrected as we speak...but it will take time. I have a feeling the city will be much better place to live in by 2010. Patience is a virtue when it comes to the recovery.

today on bidclerk for Fair Grounds

Site work and new construction of a commercial building in New Orleans. Working drawings call for the construction of a 30,000-square-foot building at an existing horse racing course to house 700 slot machines.

Construction is tentatively expected to begin in the summer of 2007. The owner will negotiate with a general contractor in the coming months. No inquiries are requested at this time.

Divisions of Work:

General Requirements, Site Work -- Excavation, Paving, Grading, Landscaping, Fences, Termite Control, Concrete -- Cast-In-Place Concrete, Concrete Formwork, Concrete Reinforcement, Masonry / Stone -- CMU, Metals -- Structural Steel, Metal Decking, Metal Fabrications, Metal Framing, Railings, Fasteners, Wood / Plastics -- Carpentry, Architectural Woodwork, Casework, Millwork, Thermal / Moisture -- Roofing, Insulation, Caulking & Sealants, EIFS, Flashing & Sheet Metal, Firestopping, Waterproofing, Doors / Windows -- Metal Doors & Frames, Wood Doors, Glazing, Storefronts, Automatic Doors, Hardware, Skylights, Finishes -- Drywall, Plaster, Paint, Tile, Carpet, ACT, Resilient Floor, Wall Coverings, Bullet Resistant Fiberglass Panels, Specialties -- Signage, Toilet Accessories, Fire Extinguishers, Flagpoles, Display Boards, Equipment -- Security Entrance Systems, Closed Circuit TV, Audio/Visual Equipment, Furnishings -- Floor Mats, Seating, Countertops, Special Construction -- Vaults, Conveying Systems -- Elevators, Wheelchair Lifts, Escalators, Mechanical -- HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Building Controls, Electrical -- Wiring, Lighting, Telephone/Data Systems, Alarm Systems, Grounding

Nola...what made you think you would get shot? I've never had that thought cross my mind when I'm in the city. Was there a person nearby with a threatening look or posture? I go to church at South Carrollton and Willow...btw it survived the tornado according to the pastor...and the neighborhood across Carrollton isn't that great...but I've never felt in danger walking around that area. From what I've experienced in my 3 years here...if you aren't involved in the drug trade...you are fairly safe. Maybe I've just been lucky.

The rest of the problems you mentioned are being corrected as we speak...but it will take time. I have a feeling the city will be much better place to live in by 2010. Patience is a virtue when it comes to the recovery.

I was walking along Flordia Avenue @ A.P Tureadu( I think thats how you spell it) and the area looked to really rundown, there were overgrown lawns and bushes everywhere. Dont get me wrong the area was hit pretty hard by the storm, but It seemed like a bad horror movie. Then there was this one car with the loud rap music, and the people with the baggy t-shirts and pants down to there knees. It was just the most fearful walk around New Orleans I've ever taken.

I was walking along Flordia Avenue @ A.P Tureadu( I think thats how you spell it) and the area looked to really rundown, there were overgrown lawns and bushes everywhere. Dont get me wrong the area was hit pretty hard by the storm, but It seemed like a bad horror movie. Then there was this one car with the loud rap music, and the people with the baggy t-shirts and pants down to there knees. It was just the most fearful walk around New Orleans I've ever taken.

Well, you were in 9th Ward, make it so bad you were in the Florida Projects vicinity. For your safety DO NOT do that again. It's not very wise to walk around any of the New Orleans wards alone, you're basically setting yourself up to get knocked off. Be thankful you're alive.

Okay...that explains everything. That was a very dangerous neighborhood with the Florida and Desire housing projects nearby before the storm. Although the projects are closed, the area is still someplace I would not walk around in alone. There is alot of drug activity in that area.

Now lets get this thread back to the topic of development. What do you guys think about the deal the state worked out with NASA for more development prospects over at the Michoud Assembly Facility in the East. I think we are going to have a nice aerospace hub developing over there in the next decade.

I think its a great thing, and hopefully other maunfacturing takes place there as well. BTW, has anyone noticed the Tracage advertising! Looks awesome, saw they have blue tarp on the Lengsfeld Building. So groundbreaking cant be too far off!

Well, Im off to get drunk!

Happy Mardi Gras everyone!

I think its a great thing, and hopefully other maunfacturing takes place there as well. BTW, has anyone noticed the Tracage advertising! Looks awesome, saw they have blue tarp on the Lengsfeld Building. So groundbreaking cant be too far off!

Well, Im off to get drunk!

Happy Mardi Gras everyone!

Any word on the Vantage condo project on O'Keefe?

I talked to the developer the other day. Im going to have to go with no on that one. But you never know. It just isnt as good of a product as the others. Plus, he keeps raising his prices and it just doesnt compare to the others. but some day something may happen there.

Actually, the developers do the traffic study and then the City Planning Commission reviews the study. After reviewing the study, the commission will decide if it is feasible or will need to be reworked. If they find the traffic study feasible for that area, they will recommend the project to the City Council. Once this vote is finished, the project will be approved and move forward.

Right now, it's all in the developers hands until they finish the study. I'm actually surprised they did not a have a study done beforehand, as that is standard practice throughout the country for any new development. I do not know why the developers are taking so long on getting the study to the planning commission.

Trump Tower moves ahead

Building would be tallest in Louisiana

Article from the Times-Picayune

With New Orleans City Planning Commission approval in hand, Florida developer Cliff Mowe said, "we don't see anything at this point" that could derail the construction of what would be Louisiana's tallest building.

The City Council still needs to approve the plans, but that is considered almost certain. With no opposition to the project having surfaced, Mowe said, council approval "should be pretty smooth."

Thanks for posting this good news. I was hoping the skeptics would be proved wrong(in BR too). Trump Tower will give New Orleans back it's proper place of having the Gulf Coast 2nd tallest behind only Houston and not Mobile. This development will not only become a landmark skyscraper but also and International player as well. I'm sure somewhere in Texas they will be wanting one now. It think having no 13th floor is a silly superstition.