New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

That is so cool that ya'll are getting a Trump. In the immortal words of Nate, New Orleans can definitely be classified as a "Real City" now. :thumbsup:

I'm sure somewhere in Texas they will be wanting one now. It think having no 13th floor is a silly superstition.

Actually, I think they have been scouting locations in Dallas.

It think having no 13th floor is a silly superstition.

That is silly. Besides there is still a 13th floor it's just called the 14th floor.

^I can see why you would think that, but I think that over time the building will fit in well, and it will be a tremendous addition to the skyline. :thumbsup:

BTW, nice job on that rendering, Dan! I inserted an arrow pointing to where Trump Tower will be in the skyline from that angle:

untitledaf9jf2.png

Is that just a Google image? I'm curious because it has been heavily photoshopped. It looks like someone took the New Orleans skyline and pasted it over the Westbank riverfront. All of those tugboats, cranes, and trees you see in that photo are actually on the opposite side of the river from downtown New Orleans.

Just to let you guys know I received my deposit for Vantage Tower back today. This as expected will not be built as planned. Possiblities for this property in the future are endless though. If that Jazz Park is indeed built as planned this property will be much more valuable than it is currently. Either way, Im not surprised this project failed. Its design was bad to average, cheap website, not a great location, pool and spa area was horrible, and builder didnt seem to have a full understanding of what he was doing. Plus, the competition was just a lot better. Ok , Im off to Cancun.

Not suprising news about the Vantage Tower project going down, though thanks for the update, Tennis. Like you said, options for the use of that property are endless, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what materializes down the road.

BTW, good news about the Trump Party! I know the Trump project is a done deal, but it's still nice to see little things like this to keep you assured. :thumbsup:

Just to let you guys know I received my deposit for Vantage Tower back today. This as expected will not be built as planned. Possiblities for this property in the future are endless though. If that Jazz Park is indeed built as planned this property will be much more valuable than it is currently. Either way, Im not surprised this project failed. Its design was bad to average, cheap website, not a great location, pool and spa area was horrible, and builder didnt seem to have a full understanding of what he was doing. Plus, the competition was just a lot better. Ok , Im off to Cancun.

I'm disappointed that this (VANTAGE) has temporarily fallen through. When one looks at the location of where it would have been, you realize that this section of the CBD needs this type of development; as is, it's too much open space, ugly buildings, and parking lots. I hope it will re-ignite in the near future. Skyline Development NEEDS to be growing in this direction:between Canal & Tulane.

Some new and good news about the massive Jazz Park project that everyone has been curious about:

$700M N.O. jazz park designs near completion

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/upto....cfm?recid=9026

Nearly a year after the project was announced, plans for a $700-million-plus downtown jazz park that involves the owners of the Hyatt Regency Hotel are ongoing but near completion, said a project spokesman.

I'm disappointed that this (VANTAGE) has temporarily fallen through. When one looks at the location of where it would have been, you realize that this section of the CBD needs this type of development; as is, it's too much open space, ugly buildings, and parking lots. I hope it will re-ignite in the near future. Skyline Development NEEDS to be growing in this direction:between Canal & Tulane.

Just a couple of blocks up O'Keefe from the Vantage site they should break ground this spring on the following project. It was granted $55,000,000 in GO Zone Bonds in January. I expect it to be a handsome building although drawings have not yet been released. With this building, plus Trump, plus the Jazz Park by the dome, the Poydras corridor should be most impressive by any standard.

1. Poydras Residential/Retail Tower: Proposal to build 37 story residential tower on corner of Poydras and O'Keefe. $3.12 million was paid for the land and $60.7 million is projected in costs for planning and building the tower.

a. Details: Although renderings were not released, the project calls for 37 stories, the first eight floors of which will be devoted to 509 parking spaces. A narrower tower would rise from the ninth floor, the roof of which will hold a large pool. Townhouses will cover the broader garage roof. The 10th floor and 11th floors of the tower are actually a glass-enclosed tenant lounge with some apartments beginning on the 11th floor. The 10th floor also would have two-story townhouses along the riverside edge. Beginning at the 11th floor, 27 stories would be built containing nine apartments each. A 38th floor is a roof-party lounge for tenants. Also planned is 6,000 square feet of street-level retail. The garage entrance and exit will be on O'Keefe, and a pedestrian exit will be located at Poydras. Currently, parking lot at the corner of Poydras and O'Keefe streets. The site is situated on the upriver, riverside corner of the intersection and is across the street from 909 Poydras St., the former LL&E office tower.

b. Developer: Brian Gibbs, doing business as 930 Poydras LLC, Brian Gibbs Development LLC and his father's firm, Gibbs Construction LLC, combined known as the Gibbs Family Trust. The architect for the project is Eskew+Dumez+Ripple, and the general contractor will be Gibbs Construction. Bobby Talbot of the Talbot Realty Group represented Gibbs and the seller of the parking lot, the Solomon family.

c. Subsidies/Benefits: Plans to seek $55 million in Gulf Opportunity Zone Act Bonds, or tax-exempt bonds intended to raise capital to help businesses rebuild. Gibbs will also use New Market Tax Credits, where an investor buys credits based on the value of the project and can deduct them from the corporation's income taxes. Capital One has agreed to buy the credits, Gibbs said, and to sell the bonds. The project will create 300 construction jobs.

d. Status: GO Zone request will go before the State Bond Commission on Dec. 21. Staff recommendation for approval expected. The New Orleans Industrial Development Board, which would be the issuer, has already recommended the bond commission approve the application. Construction could begin in May and wrap up by December 2008.