New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

I guess the news about Vantage isnt' too suprising. What kind of impact do you think this will have on the other projects underway in the area? I believe the desirability if those projects will increase. Is the Donald coming to the party?

26 story and 30 story condos and more for St. Tammany

today's City Business

Slidell condo

$258 million

by Matthew Penix

02/26/2007

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/view...cfm?recID=18319

sgray, this the second time I've had to tell you, posting articles here at UrbanPlanet is not allowed; see the rules. -NCB

I heard that Vantage was failing about 6 months ago...apparently it was a poor business plan. The units were too small and over-priced. But, I've heard positive things with varying degrees about most of the other projects... We'll see what happens. In any case, things are beginning to escalate with improvement all over the City and we're going to be seeing noteworthy developments underway by years end.

I believe it is Tracage. Sometimes Bidclerk recycles bids. Not sure why in this case, because the contractor is Yates. However, Yates could be subbing some of the construction out on this one.

Cheers,

Derek

You're probably right. I was thinking Tracage was taller but, after checking, it's 23 stories.

What's going on with Crescent City Towers? I don't see any activity.

I think that project will have some serious issues. The building is too far from the core area to live in right now, the pool area is placed in the absolutely worst area, and no one has a clue what toxins are still in the building. Most likely will be mixed use not the current project. If you do a shadow analysis on the building the whole pool area will be blocked from the sun by 130PM til sunset. That is in mid summer. Its even worse in the winter, spring early fall. This suggests poor planning.

For example, Tracage will have amazing exposure on its pool areas(this is obvious). But Trump Tower is in the middle of downtown, yet if you look at the shadows likely to be cast, one can tell these guys know what they are doing. The building to the south west of it is around 300 feet. Trumps first level of pool swill be in the 30s. Just enough when counting higher ceiling for ceommercial building to put Trumps Pool Area above the entire building. I know this sounds silly, but these are issues that show a level of awareness and planning that isnt eveident in Crescent City Residences. I doubt it will happen as planned, but I could be wrong. Im sure something will happen here as well.

Its important to remember guys that most building proposed in any boom arent actually built. Many times the business model has to be revised.

BTW, Ill give everyone an update on the information I get from the Trump Party next Wendesday.

I think that project will have some serious issues. The building is too far from the core area to live in right now, the pool area is placed in the absolutely worst area, and no one has a clue what toxins are still in the building. Most likely will be mixed use not the current project. If you do a shadow analysis on the building the whole pool area will be blocked from the sun by 130PM til sunset. That is in mid summer. Its even worse in the winter, spring early fall. This suggests poor planning.

For example, Tracage will have amazing exposure on its pool areas(this is obvious). But Trump Tower is in the middle of downtown, yet if you look at the shadows likely to be cast, one can tell these guys know what they are doing. The building to the south west of it is around 300 feet. Trumps first level of pool swill be in the 30s. Just enough when counting higher ceiling for ceommercial building to put Trumps Pool Area above the entire building. I know this sounds silly, but these are issues that show a level of awareness and planning that isnt eveident in Crescent City Residences. I doubt it will happen as planned, but I could be wrong. Im sure something will happen here as well.

Its important to remember guys that most building proposed in any boom arent actually built. Many times the business model has to be revised.

BTW, Ill give everyone an update on the information I get from the Trump Party next Wendesday.

Another feather for CBD

$100M Iberville Suites Restoration

Does anyone think that losing Vantage will distract any momentum from the other developments (Trump, Harrah's Tracage, etc.)? I've heard a lot of things from various "experts," but the fact remains these types of projects are tough to predict. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of when/where. Regardless of who builds what, I feel that any investment in the city is a positive. Honestly, I really do believe that once any measurable progress is performed, or at least perceived, the race will start. We'll see...

Honestly, I don't think there's anything stopping the Trump project at this point. The location, buyers, funding, management, and approval are all locked up. I think the last thing we have to do is just wait until summer to see construction finally begin.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything stopping the Trump project at this point. The location, buyers, funding, management, and approval are all locked up. I think the last thing we have to do is just wait until summer to see construction finally begin.

While walking down Camp the other day I turned back to see the lot that Trump will be in. And I saw that from that vantage point the Trump building (aqua bluish in color) will contrast nicely against the white-stone color of the court buildings across the street.....or at least I think it was the court buildings. I still think Lafayette Square is screaming for a beautiful, elegant black wrought-iron fence. :tough:

I still think Lafayette Square is screaming for a beautiful, elegant black wrought-iron fence. :tough:

Oh I couldn't agree more with that. I've been thinking that Lafayette Square could benefit greatly from a fence, much like Jackson Square. :thumbsup:

I live down the street and am a frequent customer of the 527 jazz club. Its a really cool place with a great vibe. I know two other tenants for the street to come, the others are not official so I wont say them. One is a restaurant called Grand Isle the other is an Aidan Gill parlor.

I agree with you. Stacy Head said it best" the positives outweigh the negatives on this one".

Also, The party for Trump Tower went really well last night. Donald trump called in to start the party off. He says he has one unit and his son has another. ALso, said he will be down here frequently to check progress. The model of the building was an actual ice sculpture, really neat. Also, there were at least 200 people there last night.