New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

^On the Bidclerk page it says the estimated start date for that project is this month. Does anyone have any info that could verify that? It seems like the Crescent City Residences project has been "planned" for decades now! :dontknow:

Looks like construction on Hotel Royal Cosmopolitan is to get started in July. Have any renderings been released yet? I would guess it's going to look a lot like Harrah's on Poydras.

:shades:

God I hope not. Harrah's is horrible. It would be nice to have something modern instead of "fake old", like the Astor Crown Plaza.

Upon closer look at this Bid-Clerk posting, what I originally thought was the Royal Cosmopolitan project is, in fact, a property on Colliseum Square. Chech out the map. The description seems dead on for the French Quarter project but the map belies that. Maybe the maps aren't accurate.

I now see these maps are inaccurate, for non Bid-Clerk members anyway. They've got Trump Tower mapped out on Napoleon near St. Charles Ave.

Has anyone heard any news of the tower that's supposed to go up at 930 Poydras (corner of O'Keefe)? I had the impression they would break ground this Spring or Summer but they've yet to even release any renderings.

I was wondering about that building. It is at the corner of O'Keefe and Poydras. The parking lot was supposed to close in February or March because our employees had to switch lots. But, the lot is still open, although there's a Gibbs Construction sign against one of the fences.

^On the Bidclerk page it says the estimated start date for that project is this month. Does anyone have any info that could verify that? It seems like the Crescent City Residences project has been "planned" for decades now! :dontknow:

I doubt it is accurate. There was an article in either CityBusiness or T-P a few weeks ago regarding condo projects. This was one of the projects that was being "re-evaluated." The article went on to say that there was some talk that some of the floors might remain off space and serve some function for LSU Health Sciences Center. That seems ridiculous, though, when LSU primary campus on on the other side of the interstate.

I have a novel idea. Perhaps someone should just call the number listed for CCR on the website and just ask.

PLAZA TOWER

From CityBusiness

Developers go silent on Plaza Tower deal

Posted:

NEW ORLEANS - In 2005, plans were unveiled to convert the leaky, asbestos-riddled Plaza Tower at 1001 Howard Ave. into condos.

City officials say it’s been months since they’ve heard from project developers. “I haven’t heard anything lately. It’s been awhile,” said Yolanda Rodriguez, executive director of the City Planning Commission.

City officials say the last time they heard any news about the project was late last summer when developers went before the City Council to request use of the building’s property taxes to pay for half of a $27-million remediation. But two weeks later, the developers decided the property tax route wouldn’t generate enough money to make it worthwhile. Repeated calls to speak to developers were not returned.

The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality said the last time it heard from anyone associated with the project was Dec. 13, when Tracey Dodd of U.S. Risk Management gave DEQ a 68-page remediation report, including environmental test results.

DEQ scientist Duane Wilson said the agency granted the Plaza developers brownfield certification around Jan. 1. The federal program provides developers with tax credits for remediating properties containing hazardous substances. “The site has asbestos in it. You got broken windows and there is a potential for release to the environment,” Wilson said.

Larry Hollier, chancellor of LSU Health Sciences Center, said he has not heard anything on the building for several months.

Hollier said he spoke earlier in the year to Plaza developers about possibly putting health care services in the building, such as an assisted living or nursing home facility. "Somebody had approached us about possible health care in there, but I don't know anything more about it," he said.

Councilwoman Stacy Head, whose district includes the building, said she has heard “nada.”

“My guess is that developers are redrafting their plans,” Head said.•

JPK, in the future, please do not post entire articles. Instead, please just post the title and a link to the article, along with a shot quote if you like. Thank you very much! -NCB

I agree, JPK, the sign doesn't exactly add anything to the building, to say the least. It's hard to see in the day, and last I saw, it's not even lit at night. :dontknow:

NCB: It is now lit at night. Initially, it appeared that First Bank was going to rely on the building's flood lighting to serve as lights for the sign. I'm glad my thoughts were incorrect. Still, though, it looks bad during the day. What I especially dislike are the metal supports that hold the sign up. Very tacky.

Pretty sure that is on the West Bank in one of those office parks, but I could be mistaken.

Cheers,

Derek

The map shows it is in Elmwood. The only office building of any size of which I was aware was the new Chevron building in Northpark in Covington. That building was supposed to be complete by year's end. There's no way. The foundation has not even been poured.

Edited by JPKneworleans

NCB: It is now lit at night. Initially, it appeared that First Bank was going to rely on the building's flood lighting to serve as lights for the sign. I'm glad my thoughts were incorrect. Still, though, it looks bad during the day. What I especially dislike are the metal supports that hold the sign up. Very tacky.

The map shows its in Elmwood. The only office building of any size of which I was aware was the new Chevron building in North Park in Covington. That building was supposed to be complete by year's end. There's no way. The foundation has not even been poured.

You'll find the maps in bid-clerk are not accurate, at least for non-subscribers.

You'll find the maps in bid-clerk are not accurate, at least for non-subscribers.

Speaking of the West Bank, there is that development that Guidry (Treasure Chest former owner and Edwin Edwards friend/turned fed witness) is building. I think it's on Manhattan. It's supposed to have an office building and park. I think it's called something like The Fountains...or something like that. It was planned Pre-K, but he's going forward with it even though he has no committed tenants. I can't fathom the last time an office building was built in this area as a spec building with no tenants.