New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Hyatt Sold for $32m

The Chicago firm Strategic Hotels & Resorts has sold the Hyatt Regency to Poydras Hotel Holdings Co. for the bargain basement price of only $32m. While the hotel isn't in terrific shape, this is a fire-sale price and the reasons cited for the sale aren't encouraging. Strategic executives cited their disappointment with the progress of rebuilding and a lack of coordinated effort by the city. I hope the new owners will proceed with their plans to reopen the hotel- and quickly too. The building as it stands is a depressing eyesore and getting it fixed would be an important sign of progress for New Orleans.

The Chicago Tribune

The raniassanxe town center project is moving ahead...... I cant wait to see what kind of stores are coming to the center

I drive by that site everyday, and it's coming along smoothly. I can't wait either, because I'm tired of driving to metairie every week. If CWL wins the council at large seat , then New Orleans would get a new council person who would help meake that area a much better place.

I drive by that site everyday, and it's coming along smoothly. I can't wait either, because I'm tired of driving to metairie every week. If CWL wins the council at large seat , then New Orleans would get a new council person who would help meake that area a much better place.

Are you saying you want her to win so someone else can do a better job representing District E?

Hyatt Sold for $32m

The Chicago firm Strategic Hotels & Resorts has sold the Hyatt Regency to Poydras Hotel Holdings Co. for the bargain basement price of only $32m. While the hotel isn't in terrific shape, this is a fire-sale price and the reasons cited for the sale aren't encouraging. Strategic executives cited their disappointment with the progress of rebuilding and a lack of coordinated effort by the city. I hope the new owners will proceed with their plans to reopen the hotel- and quickly too. The building as it stands is a depressing eyesore and getting it fixed would be an important sign of progress for New Orleans.

The Chicago Tribune

A depressing eyesore? The exterior has been completely refurbished!

From what I've gathered...here are all of the projects funded by the GO Zone bonds.

Canal Place hotel.

Some major development on Peters St. between Tchoup and the river that has 1200 residential units, retail, and hotel space. The hotel is supposed to be at 1440 S. Peters. I think this is the conversion of the old power plant along the river and development going toward the Convention Center.

Expansion of Bridge House.

25,000 square feet of retail, parking garage, and 250 residental units at 1031 Canal St. Corner of Rampart and Canal.

Renovation of Fairmont Hotel into a Waldorf-Astoria

Opening of two Robert's supermarkets. One in the Marigny/Bywater on St. Claude and the other in Mid-City at Canal and Carrollton.

Thanks SlidellWx. I have posted renderings of the Canal Place hotel and photos of the old power plant over at SSP. I am anxious to see the beautiful Fairmont open up again as a Waldorf-Astoria. Is 1031 Canal the Krauss condos? Not familiar with the Bridge House or S peters projects.

I had read that a couple of large projects on the Lake in Slidell and the huge Nor duLac center were also requesting Go zone funds. Any idea about these?

I had read that a couple of large projects on the Lake in Slidell and the huge Nor duLac center were also requesting Go zone funds. Any idea about these?

The I-10 Fremeaux project was approved:

http://www.thesttammanynews.com/articles/2...news/news03.txt

More info on that project: http://www.bayerproperties.com/files/SlidellLRPitchbook.pdf

I've yet to hear anything about the boardwalk project near the lake.

fla_tiger, what is SSP and where might we go to view these photos ?

SkyscraperPage.com is another forum similar to UrbanPlanet. I have a few threads over there that "highlight" development along the Gulf Coast. The forums are "overrun" with Texans and Atlantans, not that this is bad, but is serious need of posters from both La and Fla. I am not sure of this forum's rules on posting links here. but you can Google it; search words: Skyscraperpage, New Orleans Project/Development Thread,( links at the bottom to others; BTR, SWLa)

Please join in.

1894 lithograph of the Market Street Power Plant

louisianalightpowerplant.jpg

The complex as it exists today, revealing evidence of 34 years of inactivity.

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0868.jpg

DSCN0866.jpg

Edited by fla_tiger

Are you saying you want her to win so someone else can do a better job representing District E?

A depressing eyesore? The exterior has been completely refurbished!

JPK, that's exactly what I'm saying, and also I don't want CWL and Jackie on the council together....we would be stuck with CWL either way we vote. Some possible canidates for her seat are Nolan Marshall and Troy Henry of Henry Consulting; http://70.183.123.219/leadership.html

Edited by eastover neworleans

This looks interesting. Seventeen story condo tower. Any idea where this is going to be? :shades:

What's more interesting is the location! MLK Blvd. I always thought that central city would gentrify after the storm, and this, I hope, provides some minor evidence that. What a very speculative project though, if it were to ever get off of the ground.

I was watching a news report on fox 8 one night, and they were talking about the development along Oretha Castle Haley Blvd. I really think the are could be a nice area in the city in another 5-10 years if it gentrifies, education is improved, and the housing developments are replaced with mixed income projects.

StRay_SplashP_v02_01.jpg

Any idea if the St. Raymond project is going forward? Their website (StRaymond.com) says groundbreaking is in '07 but this seems doubtful as they haven't started yet. They did clear out all the merchants at the site and were granted a huge building incentive by the state if I'm not mistaken. Hope it comes to fruition.

:shades:

They did get the merchants out, but now, there are a few merchants that are in one of the buildings. In addition to the sales office, there's a church (I think) in the space that used to house the St. Vincent DePaul thift store.

The project was granted significant incentives by Jefferson Parish, and some GO Zone bonding was made available for the project. The developers were very vocal about a March groundbreaking, and then an April groundbreaking, and then a summer groundbreaking. I have heard nothing since the late spring.

I would love for this project to go forward. The project would be a huge catalyst to the gentrification of Jefferson Highway, which in some ways, seems trapped in the 1970s. Alas, I am not optimistic.

Jefferson Parish doesn't seem like it has a population that would enjoy highrise condo living. There is not one highrise condo in the parish. All of the area's highrise condos are in Orleans Parish.

Speaking of highrise condos, has anyone heard anything about the highrise proposals on the northshore? There were several proposals for highrises in and around the Slidell area. However, I haven't heard anything, although I still see the occasional advertisement in the newspaper.

Whatever happened to the highrise project on the Lake Front - can't remember the name? Haven't heard anything about it in a while

Also in response to the apartment question - I am in favor of the highrise on Poydras. I think it is a great opportunity for vertical living. TO me at least there should be a good market for a brand new construction highrise. I am sure the plan at the end of the day is for a condo conversion - but I think it would be a great opportunity for that area if this comes to fruition - doesn't the developer have the Civic Lofts right around the corner

Edited by MSGOODOLBOY