New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

I didn't mention this in the Plaza Tower thread, but I'm fairly certain that Plainfield Direct (the new owners) don't really plan to do anything with the building on their own, but that's not necessarily bad. After renovating Plaza Tower, I'm sure that they will look for a buyer, and who knows what will be done with the new structure (offices, condos, apartments, a hotel?).

In other news, the Aurora Village shopping center has been sold, and will likely be replaced with several big box stores. I grew up not too far from here, and though I think that Gen. Degaulle is an under-utilized commercial corridor, I don't know if this is the best use of the space. In all fairness though, this is probably one of the most suitable locations for big box development within Orleans parish.

Edited by blackcoat

In other news, the Aurora Village shopping center has been sold, and will likely be replaced with several big box stores. I grew up not too far from here, and though I think that Gen. Degaulle is an under-utilized commercial corridor, I don't know if this is the best use of the space. In all fairness though, this is probably one of the most suitable locations for big box development within Orleans parish.

WHAT!!! I live not too far from there. The rear of Village Aurora has always been under-utilized. I can still remember going there with my mother when I was little... place was full. It was sort of an open-air mall, for lack of a better term. Let's hope they try to do something nice there. Hopefully the city will make the developers, whoever they'll be, give the new center a very nice appearance.

Keeping the open air feel of the shopping center would be nice, but if Property One's featured properties and PMAT's portfolio are similar to what is being planned, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Ideally, the redevelopment of this area would be more along the lines of the Renaissance Town Center. Time to start petitioning Councilman Carter's office.

Keeping the open air feel of the shopping center would be nice, but if Property One's featured properties and PMAT's portfolio are similar to what is being planned, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Ideally, the redevelopment of this area would be more along the lines of the Renaissance Town Center. Time to start petitioning Councilman Carter's office.

I'd be thrilled with something along the lines of the Renaissance Town Center. But I won't bother petitioning Councilman Carter's office. He doesn't answer emails. I doubt he even reads them. Most in my district are extremely dissapointed in him thus far. He's a one-termer in my mind. He's done literally nothing for this district.

Edited by TSmith

Hey, does anyone know about the demolition of the 2 state owned building downtown next to city hall?

Is this the National Jazz Park project or what?

From what I've read, those buildings were condemned before Katrina. They were just old and no longer satisfactory, so a new office building will go up in thier place.

BTW guys, a sales office for the Royal Cosmopolitan Hotel is opening on the corner of Canal and Saint Charles in the CBD. I was making the walk down Canal and spotted the signs out of the corner of my eye. Not sure when it'll be completed, but I'll have to swing in there sometime once it opens.

Does anyone know the current standing of the LIFT Productions case?

Or of any film studion in NEW ORLEANS that are in the works. I think The Film Factory project is all but dead due to the court case....

Happy New Year everyone. There is a film studio project in the works for Algiers. Mardi Gras Studio to Open in '08. Here's another link regarding the same project: New Orleans Film Studio 100% Financed

Edited by JPKneworleans

Does anyone know when projects are removed from this list? Vantage Tower is still on here, and the Times Picayune reported in February '07 that the project was being placed on hold. I'm guessing that it stays on this list until it is officially canceled. Speaking of which, the developers are supposed to re-evaluate the project in '08. Has anyone seen anything new about Vantage Tower ?

Edited by blackcoat

Any idea what this is? 17 story condominium tower

:shades:

There was something about this a few pages back. Apparently, someone is planning to build a condo tower in central city! Now...THAT would be interesting.

Speaking of condo towers, what is going on with TRACAGE?

Edited by JPKneworleans

Do u guys think that the city can meet the attendance benchmarks for the new contract set for the Hornets?

Yes...we will be fine. The team is in the process of reconnecting with the city. It's a little bizarre scenario as New Orleans was just grasping the team when Katrina struck. The last two years threw things out of whack, but, we're reconnecting. It will be fine. They aren't leaving. The new contract is an "interim," contract. Expect a full fledged contract in 2010, at the latest. We will meet the benchmarks. FYI, it helps that we have a winning team.