New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Im thinking Trump will break ground no later than October. I think once the international advertising campaign begins we should see those reservations increase big time.

Also, I was thinking that City Hall could move to the old Chevron office building. I read somewhere that the building is designed for one tenant and it will be hard to sell. The only thing is that it's not located on a wide ave. like loyola or poydras.

Im thinking Trump will break ground no later than October. I think once the international advertising campaign begins we should see those reservations increase big time.

Also, I was thinking that City Hall could move to the old Chevron office building. I read somewhere that the building is designed for one tenant and it will be hard to sell. The only thing is that it's not located on a wide ave. like loyola or poydras.

I think it's time for me to email Tina Mowe again to see what's up with the ad campaign. The last time I spoke with her, they were in the finishing stages of the DVD. I'd love to get one.

The low dollar could help also. Although the dollar has been gaining a bit against the euro, the euro is still worth about $1.54. With the dollar so weak, some rich European investors could snatch up units at a bargain. A big concern, though, is international perception of New Orleans. A lot of Europeans think that New Orleans basically no longer exists. However, the types that would buy a condo should (I hope) know better.

I agree with you about the advertising campaign. It should result in a lot of interest. From what I understand from reading various websites, a lot of Trump condo owners like to have a condo in every city in which there is a Trump development. However, Trump has no equity in this deal, and I hope that does not impact the level of his involvement in the sales push.

As for the Chevron Building, I thought the same thing when I read about the Chevron Building. It would be an ideal city hall.

Seems like no one has an answer on the Tina Mowe / Cliff Mowe relationship question...

In other news, local firm Woodward Design+Build president Carl E. Woodward will request a $10 million bond financing for construction of a 40,000 square foot office headquarters. The site for the new building site is undetermined at this time, though it may replace their current headquarters (1019 South Dupre) or be built somewhere along Howard Avenue. Woodward will appear before the Industrial Development Board on Tuesday, May 20th, along with Nuvote LLC, who plans to 1) "turn the 12 apartment buildings at 3300 Garden Oaks Dr. into a gated community", and 2) request a $5.5 million bond to rehabilitate Lakeside apartments on Hayne Blvd.

I really like the idea of City Hall moving into the Chevron building. Somebody let the powers that be at City Hall know about this idea... because I'm pretty sure such a great idea has surely not crossed the mind of anyone over there.

There's another apartment project in the Warehouse district. The developers are turning a parking garage into an apartment building. It sounds like an interesting idea. Some of the architectural features remind me of apartments in Tokyo, with removable walls and curtains, and some solar panels to generate electricity.

I thought the old Buick dealership would make a great apt. building. Looks like Sewell and Stephens are both a go!

The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development's South Louisiana Submerged Roads Program broke ground earlier today, heralding $250 million in road repairs in the New Orleans metro area (project map). What I find interesting is that the dollar figure cited in this article is $50 million more than reported in January. All resurfacing work is expected to be complete by 2014.

Hey guys, sorry about my absence over the past 10 days or so, I had some major internet issues that are finally under control. Anyway, today I was in the CBD and finally managed to snap off a few (crappy) photos of the construction going on at 930 Poydras. Again these are pretty bad, but they're better than nothing I suppose.

dsc0047ab0.jpg

dsc0049yo3.jpg

Certainly alot of activity on the site!

Here are a few more constuction photos, these coming from the Lakeside Shopping Center in Metairie. The first two are photos of the new Macy's going up, and the next few show the new parking garage going up right next door. The new Macy's is huge, so I couldn't really capture the whole site in the frame as I was driving by. I'll get some better shots soon, though.

Macy's

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Parking Garage

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

Citybusiness had an article today about the opening of the Trump Tower sales center, which apparently officially opened today. Bigger news, though, is that the plans are changing, and they are cutting out about half of the hotel units. The article didn't mention whether the changes would affect the height of the building though, ad I hope they don't.

Regarding Trump. I hope it's not drastically downsized as 930 Poydras seems to be. On the Trump Tower web site it looks like there's about 29 condotel units per floor. If they reduced the units from 435 to 200 it would represent about 8 floors. Maybe they'll increase the condos so the height is not affected.

Regarding Trump. I hope it's not drastically downsized as 930 Poydras seems to be. On the Trump Tower web site it looks like there's about 29 condotel units per floor. If they reduced the units from 435 to 200 it would represent about 8 floors. Maybe they'll increase the condos so the height is not affected.

Judging from the article, it seems that he hinted that the plans may reduce by 5 floors, or 67 total. Seems that I remember that being the original plan pre-Katrina. Oh well.

The article mentioned a five floor up or down swing based upon demand. Considering that the upper floor condos have had the most interest, the fatter portion of the building will become shorter, and the taller portion will take its place with more condos. I'm glad to see at least some progress.

Im actually glad they are doing this! The condo-hotel market was never a proven one and it has had major problems all over the country. I dont really see the benefits of it except small circumstances, certainly not the demand for 400 units in NOLA. Id at least prefer a bigger hotel even.

Slow news in the development world around here lately, but the TP had an article about the Audubon Insectarium, which is opening June 13 in the Customs House downtown. It's only going to be in part of the first floor of the building, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the rest of the building is used for? I was surfing around trying to find out, but I couldn't find much about it past about the 1930's or so.

Slow news in the development world around here lately, but the TP had an article about the Audubon Insectarium, which is opening June 13 in the Customs House downtown. It's only going to be in part of the first floor of the building, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the rest of the building is used for? I was surfing around trying to find out, but I couldn't find much about it past about the 1930's or so.

I believe the U.S. Customs Service still uses a lot of space in the building.

:w00t: I've looked through the thread a little and it's great to see New Orleans come back with such force. I had no idea ya'll had some many great projects down there. I sure hope Six Flags comes back. :thumbsup: Edited by dan326

The Robert's article indicated that the former Canal Villere at Canal and Claiborne is now owned by Walgreens. I don't think we need another Walgreens, especially at such a high profile corner. I'm glad to see, though, that Walgreens is beginning construction on a new store on Robert E. Lee. I thought they would just gut the old store, but that's obviously not going to happen now...considering they just demolished it.