New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Two relevant business stories:

Roberts wins 21 million $ dollar settlement: Will reopen some stores now!

http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/index.ssf....xml&coll=1

Kenner hotel to reopen as Crowne Plaza Hotel

Glad about Robert's, but disappointed that the Roberts at the Canal/Carrollton intersection will not reopen because they lost the lease. An article appeared just two months ago that it would reopen with a Walgreens. I live nearby and that building is such an eyesore at such a major intersection, and the Rouse's a few blocks away is always crowded. If Walgreens now has the lease, I hope they find a good partner tenant because that property is too large for only a drugstore.

Also, was no one able to find an up-to-date artistic rendering of 930 Poydras?

It seems that Harrahs is finally working on the Fulton Street site where some buildings collapsed two years ago! Does anyone have an update on what it is they are building there? Also, Im glad to see they are bringing back the Sazerac Bar and the Blue Room at the Roosevelt! It could be really neat to see it returned to its glory days!

On Fulton Street I think they're redoing Ernst Cafe and some other things.

I was also disappointed that Robert's no longer has the site at Canal and Carrolton. That location and the tent city under the Claiborne overpass at Canal are the the biggest eyesores on the thoroughfare.

There is a rendering of 930 Poydras from May 1st on this forum. It looks like a really uninspired design to me.

Is there any news on the big Nolatown project proposed for the Lakefront?

One last thing. I went past West End the other day and there is not one building left standing. It seems to me that would be a great location for a large scale project like Nolatown. Any news for that site?

OMG. 930 Poydras. I have been dieing for one of these proposed projects to get off the ground but not 930 Poydras. It looks as if they slopped it together at the last minute. I really hope the project falls through before they start construction. That site is to valuable for this poor of a project.

Anybody have any pictures of other buildings that they think would better fit that area.

As for the Robert's site, I am disappointed as well. I kind of wish they demolish that and put some smaller shops and resturants there. Continue with the N. Carrollton Retail feel.

O. Big News. Does anyone know if Tracage has started. While I was driving toward the west bank, I was some building under construction right near the Interstate. I don't what it is. I'll try to check it out tomorrow before I go to the Farmers Market at Magazine and Girord.

O. Big News. Does anyone know if Tracage has started. While I was driving toward the west bank, I was some building under construction right near the Interstate. I don't what it is. I'll try to check it out tomorrow before I go to the Farmers Market at Magazine and Girord.

Maybe you might have seen the 927Poeyfarre building? I passed by it on the way to the Convention Center the other day, and I saw there's a white crane there, and they are starting putting up steel on it. I had heard somewhere where Tracage was held up by a lawsuit, but it may have settled by now.

Those cranes you saw are building the WWII expansion.

As for Fulton St... a Ruth's Chris steakhouse is going in there. However, Ernst Cafe is privately owned. Whoever owns that place has hit a goldmine with all that Harrah's is doing with Fulton.

About the rendering of 930 Poydras that was posted back in May, I'm still thinking that it's not the official rendering. It just doesn't seem official, especially considering that rendering hasn't been distributed to any other sources that any of us have found. A 20+ story residential tower is a 500% improvement over a parking lot, especially along one of the city's main streets, but I'm hoping that the tower will look alot better than what we see in that rendering. I guess we'll all know for sure in a couple of months.

This project was mentioned on WWL yesterday afternoon, so I thought I'd dig up the rendering and information as it hasn't been mentioned here in quite some time. These luxury condos are currently under construction on the 2600 block of Saint Charles. I haven't been through that area in awhile so I'm not sure about progress. I'll be brining my camera over to the site next week to get some construction updates. :thumbsup:

1172635190222_rendering.jpg

And as soon as I posted that, I found the construction photo albums on the project's website. Link I have no idea how I missed the "New Construction Photos!" link in the middle of the page. :lol: The photos are from February, so I'll still get over there next week to see how work has progressed over the last 3 months.

Site in January of 2007

01.JPG

Site in February of 2008

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Those cranes you saw are building the WWII expansion.

As for Fulton St... a Ruth's Chris steakhouse is going in there. However, Ernst Cafe is privately owned. Whoever owns that place has hit a goldmine with all that Harrah's is doing with Fulton.

I know about the Ruths Chris and it is actually already open. Im talking about the parcel right next to it! Crews have finally started clearing it up and reinforcing some of the facade so I assume something is moving forward soon.

And it that rendering of 927 Poeyfarre, Is that building behind it the future Ice House Condos. Is that project going to be built in the future?

I know about the Ruths Chris and it is actually already open. Im talking about the parcel right next to it! Crews have finally started clearing it up and reinforcing some of the facade so I assume something is moving forward soon.

And it that rendering of 927 Poeyfarre, Is that building behind it the future Ice House Condos. Is that project going to be built in the future?

Damn I didn't even realize the Ruth's Chris was open. Sorry about that. I was at Ernst a couple weeks ago and saw the Ruth's Chris mural on the fence at that site and just figured it was going there. My fault. Not sure what's going in there.

Damn I didn't even realize the Ruth's Chris was open. Sorry about that. I was at Ernst a couple weeks ago and saw the Ruth's Chris mural on the fence at that site and just figured it was going there. My fault. Not sure what's going in there.

I realize that this is negative, but I will never eat at Ruth's Chris after they betrayed the city by moving after the storm.

Now, onto a positive development (I hope), foundation work is beginning on a parcel located on S. Claiborne near MLK. Before the storm, the lot was built up significantly and the parcel was encased by a wooden perimeter. There was a for sale sign on it from Prudential Gardner. I hope this is something other than a fast food joint, quicky lube, gas station, bar, check cashing facility, or pawn shop! Perhaps the nearby Home Depot is having a positive impact.

I think HRI has put the Ice House project....on ice. (Pardon the pun).

I'm disappointed with 927 Poeyfarre. It looks like Mills Row or the Saulet, i.e., pastiche architecture.

No problem JPK... I'm with you on that.

Make it three! There's so many other great restaurants in this city that didn't pack up and leave us hanging after such a long history here. And, didn't they move their HQ to Orlando?? Like hurricanes won't hit there too??

I thought the quality of the restaurant had been going down before the storm anyway.

By the way, someone invited me to eat at the ruths ChriS! SERVICE AND FOOD WAS HORRIBLE! I certainly wont be going there again! Totally overrated place and there are so many other superior restaurants in this city !

A very close friend of mine's father was very close to Ruth Fertel, and my friend owns a portion of a few of the restaurants. He said that Ruth is spinning in her grave.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some renderings of the second major phase of River Garden on the site of old St. Thomas project. 310 new townhouses and four story residential buildings will be constructed in this phase by June of '09.

rivergardenCS2-rendering1.jpg

rivergardenCS2-rendering2.jpg

Construction updates:

rivergardenCS2-aerial-april.jpg

rivergarden-aerial.jpg

New Museum opening on Royal St

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/upto...recid=18149reet!

Capital One adding branches and upgrading some locations:

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/UpTo...cfm?recID=18129

SUNO building its first dormitory!

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/UpTo...cfm?recID=18073

Bond Commission OKs $113M in N.O-area projects

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/UpTo...cfm?recID=18054

Another article discusses bonds for the conversion of three more abandoned downtown buildings into residences/hotel as well as rebuilding a large complex in New Orleans East: