New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Here are some more photos from the construction site at 930 Poydras. I'll try to keep posting photo updates every few weeks for anyone who isn't in the CBD too often or for anyone outside of the city keeping track of New Orleans' newest apartment tower. :thumbsup:

dsc0058qf3.jpg

dsc0050zm9.jpg

dsc0051ih0.jpg

dsc0056nl0.jpg

Does anyone know the status of Algiers Crossing? I dug up a T-P article from January that mentioned the proejct was moving forward on schedule, but I'd completely forgotten about it since then.

Here are a few pictures I managed to snag from a flash presentation:

algierscrossing1el5.jpg

algierscrossing2uw4.jpg

algierscrossing3rt0.jpg

algierscrossing4gc7.jpg

algierscrossing5ia0.jpg

algierscrossing6vi1.jpg

algierscrossing7ba0.jpg

According to one of the developer's sons, the project at 930 Poydras is full steam ahead, as we've all seen. But according to him, it will be taller than what we're seeing in that rendering. He also told me that while it might look bland and boring, the exterior will have a very nice skin... multicolored, changing shades at different angles, etc...

As for the Algiers project, a friend of mine has been hounding them about buying a condo. They don't seem too worried about it... I guess they're close to selling out. But she's being told that they are under construction. I didn't believe it until someone mentioned pile driving in this thread. But I don't understand why her phone calls aren't being returned. Are they sold out? In my opinion, besides Trump, this is the most attractive project in the city. What a great location... I love Algiers Point.

Thanks for the updates, guys!

As for the Algiers project, a friend of mine has been hounding them about buying a condo. They don't seem too worried about it... I guess they're close to selling out. But she's being told that they are under construction. I didn't believe it until someone mentioned pile driving in this thread. But I don't understand why her phone calls aren't being returned. Are they sold out? In my opinion, besides Trump, this is the most attractive project in the city. What a great location... I love Algiers Point.

While I was digging for information on the project on the internet, I found some stuff relating to the marketing and promotion of Algiers Crossing. Apparently, the developers went all out when it came to promoting their project, hiring International Group Sales, a major firm in Miami which specializes in Latin American condo/resort-type developments. There's also some sort of a sales office/information center for Algiers Crossing in Miami. The project is also listed and highlighted on a couple of national and international real estate websites. With that type of exposure, I wouldn't be suprised if they found enough buyers to start construction without a serious local push.

Richy, I really liked the skyline views as well. I love Algiers Point and I couldn't imagine waking up with that view of the Mississippi River and the skyline every morning. But with the average condo in this development running in the $350,000-400,000 range, it's a bit too pricey for me.

Thanks to the guys over at HornetsReport, we have our first rendering of 930 Poydras, along with two site plans. The rendering is more of a large scale site plan, but it's better than nothing. Here is the link with the rendering and the plans. Scroll down past the satellite photo of the CBD with the Superdome's roof still ripped off. That's pretty sad considering the Dome has had a new roof for nearly two years now.

Anyway, here is the rendering:

930Poydrasscale.jpg

The site plans:

930PoydrasA.jpg

930PoydrasB.jpg

And some of the key information found on the website:

930 Poydras Street- opening July 2009

• 250 unit apartment building
  • 8,000 square feet of ground floor retail space
  • 8,000 square feet of 2nd floor retail space

This is the rendering of 930 Poydras that was posted back on page 65:

neworleans_poydras_cropweb.jpg

Although the rendering does come from Eskew+Dumez+Ripple, the architecture firm that's designing the buidling, it doesn't seem to match the first building plan shown a few posts above. That plan shows a wide 8-9 story base with an additional 13 stories rising above in a narrow tower. The rendering shown above simply shows one large boxy tower. Eskew+Dumez+Ripple does have a very impressive portfolio of projects, so that's a positive regarding the design of the tower. Link

I haven't seen an official height number, but Tracage is supposed to be 288 feet tall with 24 stories. 930 Poydras looks like it will be about 22 stories with the roof addition, so it may be in that height range; possibly shorter depending on the parking garage portion of the tower.

This is the rendering of 930 Poydras that was posted back on page 65:

neworleans_poydras_cropweb.jpg

Although the rendering does come from Eskew+Dumez+Ripple, the architecture firm that's designing the buidling, it doesn't seem to match the first building plan shown a few posts above. That plan shows a wide 8-9 story base with an additional 13 stories rising above in a narrow tower. The rendering shown above simply shows one large boxy tower. Eskew+Dumez+Ripple does have a very impressive portfolio of projects, so that's a positive regarding the design of the tower. Link

I haven't seen an official height number, but Tracage is supposed to be 288 feet tall with 24 stories. 930 Poydras looks like it will be about 22 stories with the roof addition, so it may be in that height range; possibly shorter depending on the parking garage portion of the tower.

I think someone mentioned before that there's a gray panel on the back of the old Civic Theater building next door to 930 Poydras that looks similar to the material covering the building in the picture above. There was some speculation that this panel might be a test of what the new building might be made of. So, even if the building isn't this shape, it might look the same. I walk by all the time, and I'll try to get a picture of the panel next time I go by, just to get an idea. But, it might be just an educated guess.

There is definitely a panel on the brick building towards the rear of the project fronting Okeefe. It sits on the corner of the building on the second floor. Without a doubt it must be a test curtain wall for this structure.

Yep, saw it today. It looks exactly like the panelling employed in the "12 story fedex box" rendering.

Here is some great news for the CBD. :thumbsup:

State OKs $45M purchase of Dominion Tower, N.O. Centre

New Orleans CityBusiness

The future of the New Orleans Centre, Dominion Tower, and that entire portion of the CBD has been discussed numerous times on the forum, and finally it looks like we're seeing a positive development for that area. The Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District is in charge of the project, and officials from that organization want to turn the New Orleans Centre into a sports entertainment area. Additionally, a report on FOX 8 news last night mentioned that the Dominion Tower will house state offices and workers. The full plan for the area will be announced sometime next week.

So now that the redevlopment of the CBD around the Dome and the Arena is a real possibility, what would you guys like to see? ESPN Zone has been mentioned many times, along with new places to tailgate before and after Saints and Hornets games. How about Stores? Bars? Sports-themed entertainment for all ages?

I would really like the New Orleans Centre to be a mix use venue with restaurants, shops, sports bars, performance theater, etc. For this project to be successful, there must be something to draw people to the New Orleans Centre besides for sports.

Also, the Hyatt might be reopening. I was on monster.com looking for a job and the Hyatt popped up under accounting I think.

I agree that for the New Orleans Center to be successful it will need to attract people there more often then just gametimes. I do think a muliplex could be one solution. A cineplex like this one would attract people from all over the metro area.

http://www.muvico.com/default.asp

Other things they could do include creating more space to congregate before and after games. An espn Zone would be great. I also think a Louisiana Sports Museum would be a neat attraction. They should also extend the streetcar to make a stop in between the Superdome and the arena. Get one of our local news stations to anchor a street level studio. The area also needs more greenery like the Canal Street palmtrees. Another idea I had would be to offer people the chance to scale the Superdomes Roof!!( harnessed of course). Similar to how Sydney, Australia allows visitors to scale their Harbour Bridge.

Edited by tennis1400

Excellent ideas, tennis! I completely agree that the area desperately needs more greenery, especially after seeing how much better the opposite end of Poydras looks with more greenery. I'd also love to see Loyola Ave. revamped and brightened up a bit. If that happened, it would be much easier to build a streetcar line on Loyola that would run from Canal to Poydras, only a block down from the Superdome. Sports themed restaurants would work very well in that area, in addition to normal restaurants and bars that could draw people to that area when nothing sports related is happening.

The emergence of the Hornets in New Orleans is also a huge positive for that part of the CBD. Instead of just having the Saints as your main draw between September-December, you'll have the Saints and Hornets drawing fans between September-May, through the both the NFL and NBA seasons.

I wonder if turning the New Orleans Centre into a great big sports mall would work? Maybe put some restaurants/bars in it, some sporting goods stores, museums, etc? The ESPN Zone idea would be good too. ESPN Zone would be a draw all year long, and would likely pull a lot of tourists from the Quarter to the Dome area.

If anyone has been to Wrigley Field in Chicago, there's a ton of small bars/restaurants around the area that really make a huge contribution to the atmosphere surrounding the park. I'd love to see things like that pop up also, a lot like what the Fulton Street area is becoming. Hopefully similar places will spring up down Poydras to bridge the gap between the Riverfront and the Dome area, if there's something to draw people up that way.

I've always lamented the fact that Zephyr Field wasn't built downtown. It would have been great down there. Maybe they could put like an off-field Zephyrs watching place so baseball fans could watch the Z's in a good downtown atmosphere? I don't know of any team that's ever done anything like that before, but race tracks do it, so maybe it would work?

Edited by djp4lsu

Zephyr Field in the CBD would have been great, but I don't know where they would have been able to put it. That vacant lot on Tchoupitoulas behind the convention center would have been a great location, but there would have been major parking issues in the area. The stadium parking lot on Airline takes up more space than the stadium itself.

Wrigleyville in Chicago is great, and something around the Dome with an atmosphere even remotely close to Wrigleyville would be a huge improvement. We need something that can draw people during the summer, but can improve Saints and Hornets gamedays for all ages.