New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Who knows what project that is referring to! Also, anyone think that Gustav could be a help to the area showing that our levees are better prepared? If it comes near and isnt to bad of a storm there may be some upside from it! Anyway, best hope for a non event!

Who knows what project that is referring to! Also, anyone think that Gustav could be a help to the area showing that our levees are better prepared? If it comes near and isnt to bad of a storm there may be some upside from it! Anyway, best hope for a non event!

Looking at the map on bidclerk, the development is out on Jefferson Hwy. Could it be the St. Raymond project?

I'm pretty sure the maps available on Bidclerk for non-subscribers are inaccurate as is a lot of the other information there. They've announced many projects that never came to fruition. I'd still like to know what is the Genesis for this 52 story building.

• 2 weeks later...

That's not an encouraging article. However, I do like the thought of HRI possibly being involved in the project if Full Spectrum decides to bow out. I think that HRI's record is soild, but the bit about public money being necessary may not be a good sign of things to come. I hoipe everything works out for the WTC project.

A small bit of good news: Rouses plans to open a grocery store in the Marigny. I also have reliable word that a serious plan is in place for a grocery in the Warehouse District, but there are no public details to share at this time. Even if we don't get a shiny new tower in the CBD, perhaps we can take some comfort in the small quality of life improvements for people in the city.

Edited by blackcoat

Financing is hard to come by for most any project pretty much anywhere in the nation right now. Unfortunately, the market crash coincided with a flurry of projects on the drawing board for NOLA. The good news is that smaller projects are continuing. It's the big projects that are slowed the most.

A small bit of good news: Rouses plans to open a grocery store in the Marigny. I also have reliable word that a serious plan is in place for a grocery in the Warehouse District, but there are no public details to share at this time. Even if we don't get a shiny new tower in the CBD, perhaps we can take some comfort in the small quality of life improvements for people in the city.

I had heard awhile back that someone was planning to put a grocery store in the former Sewell building. I wonder if that project is still moving forward? I agree, any improvement is greatly appreciated.

Thats probably what all the delays are really for anyway! Most developers are just waiting for the national lending environment to improve and then they will be ready to go. Unfortunately, I think the US is heading for at best a mild recession and possible something worse. Bank lending and credit was so easy a few years ago( and it shouldnt have been). The problem is that lending is heading in the other extreme and legitimate projects are still having problems getting financing. Best case scenario, Lets hope for construction by the close of this decade!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably... but this bailout will probably give both projects a green light. At least I hope.

Doubt it.....Trump had a number of reservations pulled. The economy sucks and the last thing any bank wants to do is invest in a huge condo project. Condos are still getting mauled whether it be trump or tracage. Call me crazy but if Trump still believed in this project wouldn't it already be built? The guy has enough money to back the condos, and he could sell management rights to the hotel part. The economy is what is keeping these 2 projects down.

Edited by jca1986

Doubt it.....Trump had a number of reservations pulled. The economy sucks and the last thing any bank wants to do is invest in a huge condo project. Condos are still getting mauled whether it be trump or tracage. Call me crazy but if Trump still believed in this project wouldn't it already be built? The guy has enough money to back the condos, and he could sell management rights to the hotel part. The economy is what is keeping these 2 projects down.

I agree. I was thinking more along the lines of personal financing options for the prospective buyers, not necessarily the developers.

• 2 weeks later...

Good article about Central City redevelopment in the City Business. Awhile back, there was a mention of a project going up in Central City, but no other info on it. This article mentions a $50 million project going up on the corner of Felicity and Carondelet. Maybe this is the one from awhile back?

It would be great to see this area revitalized. The proximity to downtown would, I think, make it attractive to people who frequent downtown, a lot like the Tulane Ave corridor is becoming. Hopefully some of the problems can be worked out though.