New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

My initial reaction is that the WTC Building should be retained and renovated.  It has some history and it is an unusual design.  More importantly the two proposals that involve renovation have a lot of business and residential use for the building.  With people down there for those purposes the plaza area will be more utilized.  If the building is demolished I'm just not sure that whatever monument/structure they build will be enough of a draw that people will actually go down there and it seems like it could just be kind of a dead zone even if the plaza itself is nice.  Maybe someone could design something that would actually draw a significant number of people, I am just having a hard time thinking what that would be.

New Orleans streetcar system could see major expansion, should funding come through

The city's top transportation official on Tuesday outlined an ambitious proposal for expanding the city's streetcar system over the next decade, though it remains open to revisions and amounts to no more than a wish list without new federal grants or tax revenues.

Justin Augustine, the Regional Transit Authority's general manager, gave the agency's board a first look at the overall concept, including, most significantly, a new line along Elysian Fields Avenue from the riverfront to Claiborne Avenue, where it would hang a left and link up with Canal Street.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/new_orleans_streetcar_system_c.html#incart_river_default

Here is more on the WTC Building...one of the most valuable pieces of property in  NOLA...what's yalls take on a possible riverfront park with iconic structure? Or should it be a W hotel w/ ferris wheel?? Realize this post/article is about week late.

http://theadvocate.com/news/5779593-123/no-to-explore-three-options

convention-center-expansion-1presentatio

I thought I posted this. :dontknow:

But I would rather see the building completely renovated and upgraded. A full restoration and re-cladding, no half-assery.

About that structure, it doesn't mean anything to New Orleans, it's just some abstract piece of art. I'm afraid that it wouldn't bring people to the river, that area is like a border, no one wants to cross tracks.

A large building along with a plaza and shops would attract more pedestrians for the simple fact that thousands of people would work there and they alone would provide a better atmosphere. Pedestrians follow other pedestrians.

I would also like to see the building completely renovated and re-clad.  Having a fully occupied tower there would do much more for the piece of property than having some random tourist attraction.  I particularly like the idea of using some of the space for international consulates, as was the original purpose of the building.  Plus the city would collect rent on the building.

The ferry building should also be re-done.  The ferry gets a fair bit of traffic (both auto and pedestrian), but the current building is pretty sketchy and the numbers would probably go up with a better facility.

• Like 1

You sure did Antrell...My bad! That will teach me not be in such a big hurry when posting and not read the page before :whistling: You make good points.... I agree on the WTC upgrade instead of the iconic structure.

Thanks for getting things rolling in the NOLA thread PoBoy...(and your in Charlottesville VA)...there used to be some people posting here a few years back.

It sounds like the ferry will close...and the Fed Government just spent a lot of $$ money on the new signs too...what a waste!

That really would be a shame if they shut down the ferry.  Is it still under discussion or has it been decided?  When I was in New Orleans a couple of months ago we took the ferry to Algiers.  The area right around the ferry didn't seem particularly nice, but the neighborhood was lovely and it would be nice to keep that connectivity with the urban core of the city.

Richyb83 I have always been a big fan of New Orleans and try to keep up with the development of the city.  Recently I have decided to move back (heading down in August) so I'm even more interested in keeping updated now.  Would love to see more discussion on this thread/forum.

• Like 1

Slight update on the riverfront project.  A bill has passed from the Louisiana House committee that would allow the project to be financed on borrowed money.  I still think one of the private developments is the way to go with this.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/05/bill_allowing_financing_of_maj.html#incart_river

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the Magnolia Marketplace development.  The development will be a 138,000 sq. foot shopping center or South Claiborne Avenue.  It is currently 78% leased.  They just started construction on a small auxiliary project which will include a bank.  Construction on the main part of the project is supposed to start in the fall.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2013/06/construction_of_large_south_cl.html#incart_river

• Like 1

Forbes Magazine says New Orleans is a technology boom town

According to Forbes Magazine, Greater New Orleans is the top spot in the country, outside of California, for high tech jobs.

A Forbes' article, 'The Cities Winning the Battle for Information Jobs,' ranks Greater New Orleans as #3 in the USA, behind only technology heavyweights Silicon Valley and San Francisco.

Boasting a 29% increase in IT employment since 2009, author and researcher Joel Kotkin calls third-place New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner "the most dramatic player" in the battle, saying the information sector in metro New Orleans "is very broad-based, including companies in digital effects, videogames, software development as well as a burgeoning film and television industry. The recent decision by General Electric to place its new technology center and its 300 new technology jobs in New Orleans is another sign of the Crescent City's emergence as a viable information hub."

http://www.wwl.com/pages/16528972.php?contentType=4&contentId=13187602

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an official announcement of the re-opening of the Saenger Theatre after more than eight years and a $52 million renovation.  Looks like the first act will be Jerry Seinfeld on Sept. 28 and there will be a grand opening ceremony and concert on October 5.  It will be great to see this historic theater restored to its full glory!

http://new.nola.gov/mayor/press-releases/2013/20130613-new-orleans-mayor-mitch-landrieu,-canal-s/

Construction has begun on the $200 million South Market District development.  First phase is a five story apartment and retail building called the Paramount.  It will have 209 apartments, 22,000 sq feet of retail, and should be open by the end of 2014.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2013/06/south_market_district_construc.html#incart_river

Nice looking project! Would an addition like a cinema work in Phase II?? Interesting to see Girod Street going on a road-diet so they can nearly triple the width of the sidewalk. Glad to see the ole Saenger Theatre re-opening too!

12958278-mmmain.jpg
An artist rendering of The Parmount at South Market, a $48.4 million project, at the intersection of Girod and O'Keefe streets.

I agree the building is a little bland, but that doesn't bother me at all.  Not everything needs to be an architectural statement.  Looks like this is going to have plenty of interaction with the street and will replace parking lots.  I also like that they are increasing the size of the sidewalk.  New Orleans is flat and compact, a great place to walk (if you can handle the heat and humidity).  Altogether very positive stuff, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is more on the WTC Building...one of the most valuable pieces of property in  NOLA...what's yalls take on a possible riverfront park with iconic structure? Or should it be a W hotel w/ ferris wheel?? Realize this post/article is about week late.

http://theadvocate.com/news/5779593-123/no-to-explore-three-options

convention-center-expansion-1presentatio

Looks great! But I would like to see it become Tricentennial Park and have them add a possible mixed use building nearby. Overall though this fits in great with the area and adds something to NOLA that wasn't there before.