New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Thanks for the pics fla_tiger, Great looking projects!

That whole area around and near Lee Circle is primed for an explosion and these projects are a testament to that fact.

Also, when I was there earlier this month, there seemd to be significant construction taking place at the old Tivoli Place Apartments across from the Hotel Le Cirque. Does anyone know what is going on there?

Thanks for the pics fla_tiger, Great looking projects!

That whole area around and near Lee Circle is primed for an explosion and these projects are a testament to that fact.

Also, when I was there earlier this month, there seemd to be significant construction taking place at the old Tivoli Place Apartments across from the Hotel Le Cirque. Does anyone know what is going on there?

This may be off topic, but with all this federal money coming in how about massive repaving of streets around the CBD, French Quarter, and inner city. Many streets are in horrid condition. Canal Boulevard for one. How about bringing in the Fighting Sea Bees with John Wayne on the lead bulldozer driving out the thugs and rebuilding the streets?

I hope the spire exceeds 735' or 745' to over take RSA Tower as the Tallest btwn. Miami and Houston

Oh, it will. I haven't seen any official height figures with the new design, but the old design featured Trump Tower topping out at about 725 feet. I think it's safe to say that the spire will be taller than 20 feet, which would make it taller than RSA in Mobile.

Riverfront Reverie

City, Port agree on longterm plans for Mississippi River development

Article

eastover neworleans, in the future, please post articles in a similar format as I have above, as posting entire articles here is against the rules. Thanks!

Speaking of tallest buildings between Houston and Miami. Doesn't Tampa have any tall buildings in the running?

Speaking of tallest buildings between Houston and Miami. Doesn't Tampa have any tall buildings in the running?

Nope, at least not right now. The tallest building planned in Tampa is 625 feet tall, which wouldn't even be one of the three tallest in New Orleans after Trump Tower is built.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/li/?...;ht=3&sro=1

The Tivoli Place Apartments....wasn't that building originally the Bienville Hotel? I seem to recall that there was a big scandal involved with its construction and furnishing. I think it was later sold of to Tulane University. I hope the building is being given a proper restoration- at least the lobby should be preserved. Nice details in there.

The Tivoli Place Apartments....wasn't that building originally the Bienville Hotel? I seem to recall that there was a big scandal involved with its construction and furnishing. I think it was later sold of to Tulane University. I hope the building is being given a proper restoration- at least the lobby should be preserved. Nice details in there.

When are they getting started on the Crescent City Towers project? I would think this would be one of the most viable endeavors as the building is already there. It is sooo ugly in its present state.

:shades:

Algeirs Development gets Green Light

Article

The New Orleans City Council gave the green light to a major redevelopment of the Algiers riverfront Thursday, unanimously endorsing a plan by Mardi Gras magnate Blaine Kern to transform Brooklyn Avenue into a high-density residential and commercial strip.

The project calls for as many as 1,500 apartments, numerous retail stores, a hotel and possibly a cruise ship terminal along seven blocks between the Crescent City Connection Bridge and Opelousas Avenue in Algiers Point.

The New Orleans City Council gave the green light to a major redevelopment of the Algiers riverfront Thursday, unanimously endorsing a plan by Mardi Gras magnate Blaine Kern to transform Brooklyn Avenue into a high-density residential and commercial strip.

The project calls for as many as 1,500 apartments, numerous retail stores, a hotel and possibly a cruise ship terminal along seven blocks between the Crescent City Connection Bridge and Opelousas Avenue in Algiers Point.

Wow! 1,500 apartment? That's a lot. :shok: That's going to be awesome when it's finished.With all the Louisiana cities' adjacent cities across the river doing all the these things Port Allen needs to step it up a little. :)

Edited by dan326

With all the Louisiana cities' adjacent cities across the river doing all the these things Port Allen needs to step it up a little. :)

Well, it's a bit easier for New Orleans to handle any proposed projects on the westbank of the river in that Algiers is part of the City of New Orleans. Port Allen for example, is not part of Baton Rouge, so you have different city planning commisions, council's, government's, etc. looking over the different projects, which is not the case in NOLA.

R+L Carriers is new Title Sponsor of New Orleans Bowl

Article

This is positive news for the New Orleans Bowl as it continues to grow in every way. New Orleans is one of the very few cities that hosts two college football bowl games; the New Orleans Bowl, and the Sugar Bowl, a BCS bowl.

Well, it's a bit easier for New Orleans to handle any proposed projects on the westbank of the river in that Algiers is part of the City of New Orleans. Port Allen for example, is not part of Baton Rouge, so you have different city planning commisions, council's, government's, etc. looking over the different projects, which is not the case in NOLA.

Algiers is part of New Orleans? I guess my dad was right. When a city gets really big then they just gobble there suburbs up. :)

Algiers is part of New Orleans? I guess my dad was right. When a city gets really big then they just gobble there suburbs up. :)

Yep, however this isn't anything recent. Algiers was annexed by New Orleans in 1840, and has been the 15th Ward of the city for over 160 years now. During this time in the 1800's, there were a number of communities just outside the old boundries of New Orleans that eventually became part of the city, and Algiers was one of them.

Algiers has some good clothes. Wow, 800 feet!! Amazing. That thing is a beauty, too. Is this the tallest in N.O. now?

Edited by Trae

Wow, 800 feet!! Amazing. That thing is a beauty, too. Is this the tallest in N.O. now?

Yes, it will become the tallest building in New Orleans when it is completed, which will most likely be sometime in 2009. Construction is slated to begin in first quarter 2007. :thumbsup:

The official height for the new design(with the spire) has not been released yet, but the official height for the old design without the spire was 727 feet, so I figure the spire will boost the height to somewhere around 800 feet.