New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Oh I understand the mixed nature of New Orleans neighborhoods; I am not seeking to change that one bit. I am seeking to change the configuration of ONE MOTHER SHIP DOMINATING/RADIATING HER NEGATIVE ETHOS INTO THE MORE IMPORTANT HISTORICAL AREAS that she is allowed to exist in. SHE is a visitor, considering the age of the hoods and homes she exists in......There is a clear difference between a row of houses on a street that some own and some do not and a MOTHER SHIP. The former can be controlled and maneuvered much easier; the latter offers ENTRENCHMENT...at best. And C.J. Peete is really not the Garden District proper....it is Central City. The St. Thomas resided directly within the Garden, Lower Garden, and Irish Channel hoods........which existed LOOOOONG before the mother ship Thomas. Mother ship is gone....and so is the sense of being held hostage. Now we must move to the OTHER side of 'The Avenue' and raze those other mother ships. And then on to Lafitte and Iberville. It is time that our history cease being defined by this filth as well as black New Orleans. That is, black New Orleans being defined by it as well. :angry:

Interesting you should mention that because New Orleans hip hop started in the Uptown projects. A lot of our music came from artists who grew up in poverty-stricken areas.

Interesting you should mention that because New Orleans hip hop started in the Uptown projects. A lot of our music came from artists who grew up in poverty-stricken areas.

'Bounce' music/rap came from that area. And it was horrendous and the West Coast hated it. It reflected the serious ignorance of project blacks in New Orleans. Jazz musicians may have come from rough and tumble hoods, but the CONFIGURATION of these bloody bricks did not define or dominate or even exist. Big difference.

It looks like the Lincoln Beach project has a few obstacles to clear. I hope they work things out.

Long term, I wonder if a stretch of high rises might happen out Haynes Blvd. There should be plenty of land available but something would have to be done with the railroad track by the levee to allow beach access.

:shades:

Gosh that woman has to be the worst Councilperson of them all. She is consistently out of the loop, and if you have ever been to a council meeting she just doesnt listen. She only likes to hear herself talk, using words that frequently dont exist in the English language, about things she has no clue about. Perhaps if she were quiet and did her job instead of mouth off, she might actually know what is going on in her district. Lets hope she doesnt demand something ridiculous!!

On a brighter note, Tom Fitzmorris says New Orleans metro area is now at 774 restaurants reopened. He doesnt count chain restaurants/fast food as restaurants. Anyway, the good news is that his last count before Katrina was 809. Thats simply amazing we should be ahead of where we were before Katrina by the end of the year. I can name about 10 offhand that will be open by the end of April.

I rather liked Peggy Wilson. As far as the rest of the council goes, I can't really say. I'll have to take your word for it. Beyond lage projects like the Trump building and a few other expensive condos, I don't get the impression that the City has much of a plan for reconstruction. Expensive condos are terrific, but I still wonder about the rest of the city. Is it still as bad as many have said? I really do need to visit again soon. Unfortunately, I have found that hotel prices really haven't gone down very much. It doesn't seem like a great way to recruit tourists if airfares and hotels are as expensive as they were before Katrina. I know that jet fuel isn't any cheaper, but cheaper airfares might entice more tourists.

The city isnt really bad. I think that what we are saying here is that the Councilwomna from the East is bad. You should certainly come and visit the city. You will have a wonderful time. New Orleans is an amazing place, it just bothers thos eof us tha live here and know that while New Orleans is awesome it has the potential to be so much more. So we really want to do our best to help that happen. But the city does have a plan for reconstruction, THE UNOP, but we need federal funds to make it happen.

Do you think it could be that 37 story highrise apartment building slated for Poydras. Im sure that will have street level retail.

Could be but usually bidclerk lists how many stories there are to be on a high rise. The develpers of 930 Poydras are not releasing renderings of the building so far but it's suposed to be a sure thing. I spoke to one of the real estate writers at the Times Pic the other day and he shared the sentiment.

I heard on WDSU that Marriott will be the new hotel to take over the WTC new orleans

It's in today's Times-Pic but I can't find a link. WTC to be redeveloped into 250 residences and a 130 room Renaissance Club Sport Hotel by Marriott. 160m project will develop an international cultural museum and the conversion of Spanish Plaza into a public entertainment area. I'm curious to see the renderings. Can they radically redesign the exterior as with the Crescent Tower project?