New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

I havent' heard anything about that project for a while. Maybe they are waiting to see how the development of the First American Bank building goes. Citybusiness had an article today saying that mixed-use development is moving foward.

Do you have a description of the First American Bank project? I'm not familiar with it.

:shades:

I have a feeling that there's going to be too many condos in the city. What developers really need to be doing is breaking ground on some hotels in the city , tourism is rebounding rapidly. Has anyone heard any news on the hotel that suppose to be next door to Saks? I thought that it was going to be a Four Seasons/St Regis Hotel, and there was going to be a Tiffany&Co located within the hotel.

According to Citybusiness the First American project will be 60% market rate and 40% subsidized. This is a good mix that will allow white collar workers and the hospitality workers to live together. This project is not far from the Krauss development is occurring at a torrid pace right now, so there will be nice little nexus of residents in that area. Tulane Ave. is also getting alot of attention, with the paper mentioning the Falstaff project under construction as well as the Crescent Motors and Baumer Foods plants becoming mixed-income apartments. The Baumer site is already under construction. If the VA/LSU hospitals do get built in this area, Tulane could become a totally different corridor in a few years. I'm actually glad to see some old vacant buildings and sites in blighted areas getting new uses. Not all is hopeless in this city.

Well, the Home Depot on South Claiborne looks to be really moving now. They said it should bedone by november. The rowhouses on St Charles and Julia are starting to be cleaned again. Also, on a flight two weeks agao from New Orleans to Miami I sat next to a couple of folks who are in charge of the Power Station redevelopment on the riverfront. I think that will be an exciting development if it can happen as they envision. They have a good track record. especially, the Baltimore Harbor project they did.

Also, on a flight two weeks agao from New Orleans to Miami I sat next to a couple of folks who are in charge of the Power Station redevelopment on the riverfront. I think that will be an exciting development if it can happen as they envision. They have a good track record. especially, the Baltimore Harbor project they did.

HEY IS THIS THE OLD POWER PLANT IN NEW ORLEANS ALONG TCHOPOTULIS STREET......

I still don't have any idea what the First American Bank project is. Does anyone have a rendering or description.

I've long awaited the coming of June as I thought it was to be when some of the big projects like Trump get started in earnest. I hope I'm not dissapointed. They have a sales office now at the St. Raymond construction site on Jefferson Hwy so I would think groundbreaking should be coming soon.

I still don't have any idea what the First American Bank project is. Does anyone have a rendering or description.

I've long awaited the coming of June as I thought it was to be when some of the big projects like Trump get started in earnest. I hope I'm not dissapointed. They have a sales office now at the St. Raymond construction site on Jefferson Hwy so I would think groundbreaking should be coming soon.

I'd like to know this one myself.

As for the St. Raymond...I think it would be great if it is built. I really like the look of the building, and it has the potential to completely remake Jefferson Highway. Also, a new tallest inJP would be nice. Lakeway III has been the tallest for long enough.

Sorry, it's called the American Bank & Trust building in the CBD. It's on Carondelet across from Hibernia. They are converting it into a mixed-use building.

Here is a link to an article if you want to read about it.

http://www.knowledgeplex.org/news/483771.html

I was wondering what was going on with the building. Several developers had talked about turning the building into a hotel or condos both before and after the storm. I'm glad the building is going to come back to life. It's a great example of art deco architecture, and the crown of the building will be great when it is lit.

Besides the Charity Hospital nursing school, the bank building is (I think) the only signficant art deco building in the CBD. Stupidly, about eight years or so ago, the legislature approved the demolition of the Charity nursing building. I'm glad the preservationists won, and it was renovated.

Edited by JPKneworleans

Bad news for the St. Raymond project. Construction pushed back at least six months. Apparently the New Orleans condo market is much less attractive than once thought when all of these high rise projects were being announced on a weekly basis. I hope Trump comes to fruition. The Trump Tampa project recently got cancelled and they had gotten a glowing letter from the Donald just as New Orleans did.

I have to wonder about Trump's projects sometimes. He is currently building two projects in Fort Lauderdale- about five bolcks apart. One is definitely under construction, but the other isn't as readily apparent. Both are going to be nice places to live, but not such great things to have to look at on a daily basis. Do you think the market in New Orleans would support this one? I think it could, but I still feel very strongly that the project is out of character- and scale- with the city. This does not mean that I want to see ironwork and courtyards. I just don't think the building speaks for the city. It could be anywhere from Dubai to Dusseldorf. Not that there aren't buildings aplenty like that already in New Orleans. The question is whether or not the city should have more of them.

Edited by tombarnes

I am not surprised about the St. Raymond. Trump has a significant advantage: Being downtown. The downtown project can appeal to out-of-towners with second/third homes and locals. The St. Raymond's location makes it very difficult to appeal to the second home crowd.

I do hope the project gets built, though. If it doesn't, at least the bonds can be used for other projects.

GOOD NEWS

I received the following from Pam Lauer from Trump New Orleans after making an e-mail inquiry about groundbreaking.

"We are planning to begin construction in September 2007, and our national marketing campaign is about to begin."

The other day I noticed a lot where some type of construction was beginning right across the interstate from downtown. I forgot what street it was on but it's about 5-10 blocks above St. Charles. Does anyone know what this is? Is it going to be a Home Depot? thanks

The other day I noticed a lot where some type of construction was beginning right across the interstate from downtown. I forgot what street it was on but it's about 5-10 blocks above St. Charles. Does anyone know what this is? Is it going to be a Home Depot? thanks

Yes.

FYI: I found out that a Capital One Bank is taking the place of the ugly old Rite Aid at the corner of St. Chas and Napoleon.

GOOD NEWS

I received the following from Pam Lauer from Trump New Orleans after making an e-mail inquiry about groundbreaking.

"We are planning to begin construction in September 2007, and our national marketing campaign is about to begin."

I received the same response! However, someone (forgot the name, but not Pam) called my office this afternoon. I spoke with her for about 15 minutes. I posted the info in the Trump thread.

Another hurdle for New Orleans East, nevver mind that the city of New Orleans. If this project does not go through, I hate to be a BI**CH ,but my wife and our kids will be heading off to Atlanta. Every time I get excited about something three months late there's a couple of hurdles facing a project; http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/2007/0...s_worry_no.html

I wouldn't call this project languishing. They are still demolishing the place. It takes time to do these things right. The Lowes is going up, and that will be the first catalyst in redeveloping this area. The East needs retail options, and this is the most logical place for retail to locate. Consider this, there has been little if any work done on the massive lifestyle center going up in Covington, and that's been discussed for 2 years on this forum. In that time, the developers have lined up an impressive array of stores, and the development should begin this summer. It just takes time to get things in place. Let the developers in NO East at least market the site for a few more months before getting too upset. Ashton Ryan is a sound businessman, and I do not doubt he will get the job done.

When I lived in Newnan, GA, a huge outdoor shopping center was discussed for nearly 3 years before any dirt was turned on the site. Coweta County is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation, and it took that long for everything to fall into place.