New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

More news regarding Trump: I emailed Pam Lauer at Trump. She advised that the marketing program is imminent, and she confirmed that the groundbreaking will be in September. I seem to recall someone indicating that an add had been placed. I believe it was in CityBusiness. Does anyone recall which edition the advertisement was in?

ALSO: Does anyone known the status of Tracage? It seems like the advertisements have ceased. I hope that's not the case. Besides having a decent height, it has a very elegant modern look and does not look like an early 20th century reproduction.

Edited by JPKneworleans

Is there still a possibility of a third phase of Canal Place?

Commencing in 2008, there is a planned major retail expansion to The Shops at Canal Place as part of a $220 million mixed-use tower at Canal Place Phase III (CP3).

from The Berger Company

There's a small picture of the possible development on the page.

Edited by nola

Is there still a possibility of a third phase of Canal Place?

from The Berger Company

There's a small picture of the possible development on the page.

That sure would be nice. The original plans for Canal Place contained a third phase , which included a new city's tallest building. Obviously, it never happened.

Pardon my negativity, but this city SUCKS right now. BR gets a movie studio, and among the reasons cited by the developers: New Orleans politics and the inability to even have a telephone call returned. Nagin should be recalled.

That Canal place addition looks impressive. I hope it gets built in the future.

As far as the studio deal goes...BR got that one...but that does not mean this will be the only one built in the state. I'm not sure what will happen to the LIFT studio in the long run...but I certainly don't see filming of movies ending in New Orleans. I'm more than certain there will be a studio built somewhere in metropolitan New Orleans in the next 5 years. It may be in St. Tammany Parish...but it will be in the region.

I was also encouraged this week by the story about the technology company 'Iseats' wanting to come back to the city. It's growing tremendously, and would be a great tech company to have headquartered back here. They currently have 14 employees in One Canal Place and have over 50 in NYC. It sounds like the dude in charge really wants to come back. I think the city should try to push the Murphy Oil Building on N. Robertson as a property for the company to take over and offer them some incentives. It would be the perfect size for them to expand in.

As far as the studio deal goes...BR got that one...but that does not mean this will be the only one built in the state. I'm not sure what will happen to the LIFT studio in the long run...but I certainly don't see filming of movies ending in New Orleans. I'm more than certain there will be a studio built somewhere in metropolitan New Orleans in the next 5 years. It may be in St. Tammany Parish...but it will be in the region.

I was also encouraged this week by the story about the technology company 'Iseats' wanting to come back to the city. It's growing tremendously, and would be a great tech company to have headquartered back here. They currently have 14 employees in One Canal Place and have over 50 in NYC. It sounds like the dude in charge really wants to come back. I think the city should try to push the Murphy Oil Building on N. Robertson as a property for the company to take over and offer them some incentives. It would be the perfect size for them to expand in.

On the movie studio, I know that Aaron Broussard was in LA trying to push an Elmwood location. The mayor should have been there with him. If Cynthia Willard Lewis and the CAO can go to Germany to view "first hand" the "very latest in waste technology," the mayor can go to LA. (As for Cynthia....don't get me started.)

The news about iSeatz is good. However, iSeatz is the exception. David Purcell personally loves it here. For people with no prior ties to New Orleans, all they have to go on are current perceptions. Perceptions, for all intents and purposes, are reality even if they are inaccurate.

Prior to the storm, it seemed as if that reputation was turining around. Then, with the Mayor's meltdown and is wishywashy pandering to different segments of the population, it seemed like a return to the days of old. We're squandering an opportunity.

At this point, my hope lies with Bobby Jindal, whom Nagin is considering challenging for the governorship. Now...THAT would be a joke.

I realize that I am being negative. However, having just returned from a vacation to civilization where roads are smooth, public transport is excellent, the arts and funded, businesses flock, and diversity is celebrated, returning to this mess, combined with the movie studio and VA hospital news, was just a bit much. My apologies.

Edited by JPKneworleans

Two points:

About Nagin running for governor...

Considering the only support for Nagin seems to be in New Orleans, and that group of supporters is very small, what shot could he have? Of course I know that with Louisiana politics, anything is possible...but even in this state, that's a major stretch.

And JPK, I know what you're saying about leaving this city for another, and then coming back. Since Katrina, I've spent time in cities like Washington D.C., Baltimore, Chicago, and Atlanta. And when you come back the problems here really pop out at you. However, I'm still very optimistic about the future, because just about all of the recovery here is being driven by the people, not the government. Eventually, the money will come, and when that happens, everything will really pick up. Barring any other disasters, I really think that in 10-15 years, New Orleans will be above and beyond anything it has been in the last 30 years.

Two points:

About Nagin running for governor...

Considering the only support for Nagin seems to be in New Orleans, and that group of supporters is very small, what shot could he have? Of course I know that with Louisiana politics, anything is possible...but even in this state, that's a major stretch.

And JPK, I know what you're saying about leaving this city for another, and then coming back. Since Katrina, I've spent time in cities like Washington D.C., Baltimore, Chicago, and Atlanta. And when you come back the problems here really pop out at you. However, I'm still very optimistic about the future, because just about all of the recovery here is being driven by the people, not the government. Eventually, the money will come, and when that happens, everything will really pick up. Barring any other disasters, I really think that in 10-15 years, New Orleans will be above and beyond anything it has been in the last 30 years.

NCB:

Most of the time, I share your optimism. That optimism combined with love of city keeps me here. Since Katrina, I've spent lots of time in New York, Dallas, San Francisco, and Chicago, and the universal question that is asked is how we could re-elect a person who has no leadership skills whatsoever. If we had leadership at the state and local levels, we'd be far ahead. Instead, Louisiana cities with leadership, including BR and Lafayette, are benefitting from GO-ZONE bonds that were primarily intended for New Orleansa, and we limp along. If only Kip Holden were our mayor....

We got NOTHING out of the legislative session. One of south Louisiana prize industries is the port. The south Louisiana port complex from the mouth to Baton Rouge is the world's largest complex of ports, and its sorely outdated. Houston and Mobile are kicking our butts. Anyway, I digress.

My optimism will return soon, I hope.

If there's one thing I have learned, it is the following, legislators and councilpersons read emails. I urge all of you to write and voice your frustrations.

I also just returned from a trip in late June and early July to the Bay Area and the Redwoods. To be honest...I actually got more optimistic about our recovery and the city upon returning...because I saw that even in San Francisco there are major problems that need to be addressed. Also, no one I met mentioned any our elected politicians, but rather asked how the levees are and if the city is cleaned up. One lady asked if the French Quarter was open yet...which made me laugh. I told her yes it was and to come visit.

1. It is outrageously expensive to live there. Housing, food, etc. are well above what we pay here in New Orleans. A half gallon of milk cost $4.99 at a grocery store in San Fran. That's insane. I saw a sign that said the minimum wage there is 9.14/hr., and people struggle at that pay.

2. The city is beautiful...but is also has a litter and homelessness issue far greater than anything here. On the way to the hotel from the muni stop...I decided to count how many homeless people were on the street. I counted 30 people over a 2 block walk. I saw one guy begin hitting a woman who would not give him money. Unfortunately...many of the people are mentally disturbed...but due to cutbacks dating from Reagan there is little if any treatment available to them. With this...comes the litter and horrible urine smells that we encountered every day. The smell was most acute near the muni stop, and was far worse than anything I've ever smelled in New Orleans.

3. Crime...I know most people think that the Bay Area has very little crime...but after reading the paper there...I can tell that is not true. During my stay...8 people were murdered in San Francisco. I know that here in New Orleans we also had 8 people murdered during the same time frame...and violent crime is definitely worse here overall...but the crime in SF was far worse than I had imagined and I actually felt unsafe walking through a few areas. That was a shock to my wife and I. BTW...we've never felt unsafe walking in New Orleans...but we also don't go into high crime areas.

It was also friggin cold there...like 60 degrees with a biting NW wind to 20 mph...and that does not work for me in the Summer. I was so glad to get back into 90 degree weather. The food was also bland most of the time...except in Chinatown. I missed the flavors you get down here immensely...and most places only had salt and pepper on the table for seasoning. No hot sauce anywhere. : (

Anyway...it was interesting to get out of the city and into someplace that is not rebuilding. SF is a great city with a fantastic mass transit system...lots of tech jobs...and Fortune 500 companies...and it has a great funky vibe to it...but it also has drawbacks. I realized that every city has it's charms and it's flaws. Upon returning to New Orleans, I immediately noticed all of the rebuilding taking place that you sometimes seem to zip by and not notice after a while. I also realized again how much more there is to do. We do not have easy task ahead of us...but we seem to be slogging along and doing it anyway.

I also realized that there is a great sense of negativity (or at least extreme cynicism) that pervades most everyone you meet down here. I remember experiencing this for the first time when I moved here from Atlanta...and thinking that's weird, but stopped noticing it after a few months as I made friends here and melded into the local culture. Being away for a week...I noticed that everyone I met in San Fran and northern California was very optimistic about the future, and that even the paper seemed more optimistic with an equal balance of positive and negative stories each day. After a week here in New Orleans...I noticed that the news stations and paper pretty report nothing but negative news. In fact, some days the stories are so depressing, you may need a Zoloft to get through the day. I rarely see a postive story about an expanding business...which there are...or something about the thousands of people who have rebuilt and are now back home.

Sorry for the rambling...it's just that I'm once again realizing that New Orleans is a glass half empty type of town when it comes to looking at the future and the big picture. At least that's my outsiders feel of the city. St. Louis was like this when I was a kid...and it was way depressing...but that's changed in the last 5 years or so. Everyone is very optimistic about things up there now...and I'm hoping that can happen here too. It seems like a city really doesn't move forward until people start to think differently about things and take a less cynical approach. Most people I know here seem to think that we've missed our chance to "make the city right" whatever that means...and that everything is going to stay the same or get worse. Well...if that's what people think...then most likely...that's what will happen. What people don't realize is that the chance to shape our future is at hand...and will be for the next decade. This is the chance to "make the city right", as the rebuilding is just beginning. Unfortunately, if every plan and new idea is met with the extreme cynicism found in this region...nothing will succeed and the city will fail. For a plan or idea to work...the community has to get behind it and support it until it happens...and I really haven't seen that happen yet.

California is expensive in general. However, you're wrong about milk. New Orleans has the highest average price per gallon of milk in the country, as cited by the New York Times, Times Picayune, Garland Robinette, etc.

Overall cost of living: The main difference is housing. My house, which is about $400K, would cost $1.5M there, but my salary would not be commensurately higher. With the increase in gas prices, the differential is no longer huge. I filled up for $3.49 a gallon (premium) at the Chevron on Van Ness near Market.

Every major city has crime. While there may have been 8 murders in the NOLA and SF during the same period, the city of SF has a population of 750K, versus 280K and a metro area of about 4 million compared to 1.1 million.

As for homelessness, yes, they have a big homeless problem. I have seen many a homeless person sleeping on sidewalks and in parks, etc. They smell. Usually, though, the concentration is in the Tenderloin district close to Market, O'Farrell, and Ellis streets. I routinely see people speaking to themselves. A homeless person accosted a friend of mine, and my friend started speaking french as an excuse to avoid the request for money. The homeless person started speaking french right back to my friend. We were wrecked.

Public transport? If one lived in the city, one would not need a car.

Overall, though, if I had the money, where would I live? SF, hands down. If anything, the climate and physical beauty blow NOLA out of the water. Air conditioning is rarely needed because the highs in August are in the low 70s. The architecture and public buildings are gorgeous. I take it you've seen their city hall compared to ours, their opera house compared to that joke in Armstrong Park, their symphony hall compared to the Orpheum, etc. The city is extremely wealthy, and it shows.

But why else do I love it? Because in many ways, it is just like New Orleans. It is a patchwork of small towns sewn together.

As Nora Ephron said: New Orleans is one of the two most ingrown, self-obsessed little cities in the United States.The other is San Francisco.

I was just trying to point out that every city has problems and not to get bogged down by the one's we have here. I know the area will be better in the long run, and I really think this will be a fantastic place to live in another 5 years. I guess I had a few too many beers before typing last night. It was a long day at work with all of the NHC news. I'm not a big fan of news reporters when something like this happens.

I've never been to San Fran, or California at all for that matter. Though it's a city I really want to see, and a state that I really want to explore.

However, I have spent time in quite a few cities in this nation, and so far, there are two that I have left thinking "I could definately see myself living her." Those two cities are Chicago and Washington D.C. I've been to D.C. enough times to know a great deal of the city like the back of my hand; I made my first trip there when I was 6 or 7. I've only been to Chicago once, but that was enough for me to experience an absolutely amazing city. I was amazed to see everyone coming from the suburbs into the city to shop, not the other way around. Nightlife was all over the city, and it wasn't just about clubbing or partying, which I certainly nothing against, but it was just cool to see people out dining, ice skating, shopping, watching a show, etc. at 10 or 11 at night. I love the skyscrapers and the almost endless supply of historic buildings, the diversity of the people, the clean streets, the shopping, the dining, excellent mass transit and on and on. Amazing city. :thumbsup:

With that said however, I still love New Orleans, even with its many problems. The people, the history, the food, the music, the architecture, the river, everything, it all just overshadows the crime, poverty, horrible schools, etc. Even when I visit a city like Chicago that impresses the hell out of me, I'm still always happy to be back in New Orleans. I have a feeling that New Orleans is a true example of "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" and that once you leave, all of those things that you took for granted here, whether it be the interesting people, the history, the music and food, etc. all stand out to you much more...once you don't have them anymore. I've spent a total of 6-7 months living in Helsingborg, Stockholm, and Copenhagen. And while those cities, especially the last two, are amazing, I missed those special New Orleans things more than I would've ever imagined. Hell, I even missed the humidity at times! ;)

New heights

Motorists on the twin spans can see the future rising beside them: Taller, stronger and six lanes wide

Article from the T-P

Very cool interactive graphic comparing the new twin spans to the old:

http://www.nola.com/photos/t-p/index.ssf?/...newtwinspan.swf

I wish I knew whose (in state government) ear was the right one to put a bug in about the old spans once the new are completed. My understanding is that the current plans call for the complete demolition of the old spans. I've often thought that salvaging a substantial length at either end of the current east-bound span for development as public fishing piers would be a real winner for the area. Such "old bridge to fishing pier" conversions are fairly common elsewhere, and are frequently a big success...not just with the locals, but also as "attractions" to those who visit from more "landlocked" parts of the country. Think about saving say a mile at either end, and billing it as the "South's Longest Public Fishing Pier". With the bonus that there would actually be very good fishing, as some of the larger trout in SE LA are often landed along the Twin Spans, Hwy. 11, and train trestles. I'm sure if it's well maintained it would attract enough people that you might even find someone willing to set up a bait and tackle concession at the foot of the pier. Heck, if it really took off you might even have someone interested in taking a chance on a concession to rent out a small fleet of those "workman-style" tricycles fitted with small wagon/trailers behind...then you could rent one to haul your gear out to the end of a mile-long pier if you so desired instead of walk it with your own wagon you'd brought from home (much like the carts/wagons you see on the beach at Grand Isle when the surf fishing is hot).

Any thoughts?

...Instead, Louisiana cities with leadership, including BR and Lafayette, are benefitting from GO-ZONE bonds that were primarily intended for New Orleansa, and we limp along. If only Kip Holden were our mayor....

If only they'd set up the GOZONE loan program such that only projects in the cities/towns that were devastated by the actual storms (New Orleans, Lake Charles, Slidell, etc.) qualified rather also making eligible projects in cities like Baton Rouge and Lafayette where the only real impact from the storms was to add a substantial chunk of population that was suddenly forced to patronize BR and LAF businesses--for the most part a chunk with funds to spend on their needs. Sure, traffic got bad, and the school system had to absorb an influx of students...and funds to cover that stuff flowed from the state and the feds. On the whole, the cities of Baton Rouge and Lafayette probably see the whole 2005 LA hurricane experience as a "good thing", as a result of their being A) relatively unscathed, B) nearby to communities that were almost obliterated, and C) treated by the state government and particularly the feds as though they were heavily impacted by the storms.

Yes...construction has started on the Lowe's in the last couple of weeks. They were installing drainage pipes and raising the level of the site to abide by the new BFE's. The Sav A Center shopping center is completely demolished as well across I-10 now. Not sure what is planned for that spot down the road.

The Reniassance Town Center I think is definitly in. I even found a web site and i think construction is under way on the lowes.

I've been looking for something related to the Town Center for the longest. Thank you so much for finding this, It would be nice to see a Whole Foods and Macys as their other Anchors. New Orleans East is coming back .... I pray that those slumlords apartments could be torn down. There's a Town Center in the woodlands , tx that's really nice , and I wish we could have the same tenants as they do ; http://town-center.com/

Edited by eastover neworleans

Well, the Plaza Tower deal is dead due to disagreements with investors; http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2007/07/plaza...ld_at_auct.html

I just hope that Trump Tower, Tracage, and Krauss developments are built. In response to the hospitals in the east I heard that Methodist Hospital suppose to reopen and/or expand. As for Six Flags some investor is trying to buy it and turn it into a water park , but six flags is waiting on their insurance company. I find it funny that I live in the same neighborhood as the president of New Orleans East Business Association , and I never bother to ask him about this . I have to start talking to him more often.

Edited by eastover neworleans

From what I've seen there is major work being done at the Krauss site, and also the Falstaff Brewery site. It looks like these are actually happening. As far as the other developments, from what I've read they are still moving forward. We will see what happens.

I also agree that a medical center is sorely needed for New Orleans East and St. Bernard Parish. I certainly hope Methodist reopens.

As far as Six Flags goes, I was actually surprised that they never developed a water park at that site. I think it would have been extremely popular. In fact, they should have copied the model from a Six Flags park in St. Louis where the waterpark and amusement park are combined. King's Dominion in Virginia does this as well and it works great. Considering that you now have to drive to San Antonio, Tampa, or Atlanta to go to a major themepark, and the number of people within a 3 hour drive of the New Orleans area, I think a waterpark/amusement park would do quite well. Right now we have Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing in BTR, but that is a fairly small operation overall.

Has anyone seen an ad for Trump? I haven't.

As for Methodist Hospital: From what I have heard, a new hospital service district has been created, and Methodist may be the home of its hospital. This is bad news. The last thing we need is a publicly owned hospital. I seriously doubt Orleans Parish will be successful at operating a hospital in a manner similar to East Jefferson or West Jefferson. An Orleans Parish hospital service district will be another avenue through which corrupt politicians can hand out favors to their supporters.

I'd rather see Methodist Hospital operated by a private company.

Universal Health Services owned Methodist, Lakeland (which became part of Methodist after HCA sold it), and Chalmette Medical Center. Universal, however, says it has not plans to reopen Methodist.

Has anyone seen an ad for Trump? I haven't.

As for Methodist Hospital: From what I have heard, a new hospital service district has been created, and Methodist may be the home of its hospital. This is bad news. The last thing we need is a publicly owned hospital. I seriously doubt Orleans Parish will be successful at operating a hospital in a manner similar to East Jefferson or West Jefferson. An Orleans Parish hospital service district will be another avenue through which corrupt politicians can hand out favors to their supporters.

I'd rather see Methodist Hospital operated by a private company.

Universal Health Services owned Methodist, Lakeland (which became part of Methodist after HCA sold it), and Chalmette Medical Center. Universal, however, says it has not plans to reopen Methodist.

As much as I want a hospital in New Orleans East , I don't want it to be a public hospital ( I don't like to crowd it attracts) It would be nice to see Methodist and Lakeland redeveloped, Methodist was my hospital and I liked the way it was privately owned. Alot of those corrupt poloticians live in the mansions in New Orleans East i.e copeland my neighbor. I wish we can get rid of both of the cynthias on the council especially Lewis , that lady annoy's me as far as biggie , that's up to gentilly residents.

As much as I want a hospital in New Orleans East , I don't want it to be a public hospital ( I don't like to crowd it attracts) It would be nice to see Methodist and Lakeland redeveloped, Methodist was my hospital and I liked the way it was privately owned. Alot of those corrupt poloticians live in the mansions in New Orleans East i.e copeland my neighbor. I wish we can get rid of both of the cynthias on the council especially Lewis , that lady annoy's me as far as biggie , that's up to gentilly residents.

By public hospital, I don't mean a charity hospital. Lots of parishes have "hospital service districts." But, in this case, I'm sure that the Cynthias would use this for all of their cronies. I'm not certain which Cynthia annoys me more. They're both pretty bad.

What particularly annoys me the most is their penchant to align themselves with groups that scream "racism" whenever a black politician is criticized by a white person, e.g., Eddie Jordan. Get real, people! I don't care if the DA is a pink elephant. As long as he or she does the job, that's all that matters!

By public hospital, I don't mean a charity hospital. Lots of parishes have "hospital service districts." But, in this case, I'm sure that the Cynthias would use this for all of their cronies. I'm not certain which Cynthia annoys me more. They're both pretty bad.

What particularly annoys me the most is their penchant to align themselves with groups that scream "racism" whenever a black politician is criticized by a white person, e.g., Eddie Jordan. Get real, people! I don't care if the DA is a pink elephant. As long as he or she does the job, that's all that matters!

The race card agrivates me the most, if the charges would've been dropped against a white person, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would've been in New Orleans before you can say Gumbo. It would have been equally upsetting to me. This city need to wake up and realize , until we all come together as a city Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Arab, etc...... we will never grow and we will be stuck in the same corrupt polotical system.