New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

The race card agrivates me the most, if the charges would've been dropped against a white person, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would've been in New Orleans before you can say Gumbo. It would have been equally upsetting to me. This city need to wake up and realize , until we all come together as a city Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Arab, etc...... we will never grow and we will be stuck in the same corrupt polotical system.

I'm afraid you're right. Visitors that have been unlucky enough to view one of the racial spats on TV constantly remind me of the severity of the problem here. Sure, their cities have problems, but not to this level.

Some great news for the city and the port!

Carnival extends contract with Port of New Orleans

WWLTV article

Reporting an increase in demand for cruises from Louisiana, Carnival Corp. signed a two-year contract extension Thursday to keep its ships sailing through the Port of New Orleans.

It's great to hear that Carnival has been recieving more and more requests for cruises from New Orleans. :thumbsup:

A new mixed-use tower for downtown New Orleans?

Business group stands by N.O.

Convention will return, leader says

T-P article

"I've already looked at two hotels (for possible acquisition) and plan on building a mixed-use project downtown that will cost in the hundreds of millions of dollars," said Don Peebles, chairman of The Peebles Corporation.

Some great news for the city and the port!

Carnival extends contract with Port of New Orleans

WWLTV article

It's great to hear that Carnival has been recieving more and more requests for cruises from New Orleans. :thumbsup:

Not to rain on good news, the cruise numbers are in the tank. In 2005, the Port of New Orleans was on record to have its most successful year and was slated to cross the million passenger mark on an annual basis, which would have made it the third largest cruise port in the United States. According to City Business, the current traffic is about 250,000. I don't know if that number is annualized or is a year-to-date number.

Royal Caribbean has not committed for this fall, and Carnival's Triumph, which was to take the Conquest's place was supposed to arrive in August this year. It was then pushed back to March of next year. Now, the date is October 2008 at the earliest.

Norwegian Caribbean Line, though, will arrive this fall with a bigger ship and is committed through spring of next year.

I know this sounds cheesy, but we should email Norwegian to thank them. We should email Royal Caribbean to complain, and we should email Carnival and ask while there are no seven-day cruises from New Orleans.

A new mixed-use tower for downtown New Orleans?

Business group stands by N.O.

Convention will return, leader says

T-P article

Like the others...I'll believe it when I see it. I'm losing faith in Trump.

In other news, the World Trade Center lease negotiations are likely to be finalized in early August. The developer, from New York, was chosen because the company has very deep pockets and does not need financing to do the deal. I can't wait to see the designs. It would be great if the exterior cladding is replaced. The plain cement look is, well, plain and boring. At least the building should restore the blue neon crown. The neon, however, was probably placed there by the former hornets owner that renovated the revolving bar/club on top.

Edited by JPKneworleans

This one looks to be a certain, as public moneys are involved. Anyway could be the first of many in the burgeoning medical district between Canal and I-10 north of Claiborne. New Orleans' future growth could truly benefit from the medical research industry and the city and state should continue to encourage private and public development in this area.

Louisiana Cancer Center

LSU, Tulane, Xavier partner in new cancer center set to open 2010

After years of talking, planning and dreaming, the first steps have been taken toward building a cancer center that is designed to be nothing less than a scientific and economic mainstay of New Orleans' post-Katrina economy.

"Test piles are going. Great things are happening," said Steven Moye, president of the organization behind the Louisiana Cancer Research Center at Tulane and South Claiborne avenues.

The health sciences centers of Louisiana State and Tulane universities, as well as Xavier University, are partners in the project, which is envisioned as a center for treatment, teaching and research as well as an economic engine for the city's renaissance.

The 10-story building will have about 175,000 square feet of work space, Moye said, and about 300 people are expected to be employed there when the center opens in 2010.

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/2007/0...center_set.html

link to architect showing renderings, go to research then to La Cancer Ctr: http://www.hillier.com/portfolio/

Excellent news...and a very nice modern looking building. Hopefully, this will be the catlyst that gets the medical district going full steam again.

Amen to that. Thank goodness the design is modern. I'm so sick of pastiche architecture such as the Astor Crown Plaza and anything new that's made to look "old."

Check this out...this will be great to use the WTC this way!!! Being done in phases?? Is 10 years a misprint(2018?).

Site work, new construction and renovation of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design plans call for the renovation of the World Trade Center into a hotel and entertainment venue, the construction of a 900 room hotel and cruise ship terminal.

Construction is expected to begin first quarter 2008. The construction will progress in phases, and is expected to be complete in 2018

*compliments of bidclerk.com

Edited by richyb83

Fairmont expected to be sold, reopened under new name

Article

NEW ORLEANS - The 114-year-old Fairmont New Orleans hotel will likely be sold soon and will reopen for the first time since Hurricane Katrina under a new

name, an attorney for the current owners says.

Fairmont expected to be sold, reopened under new name

Article

I had no idea that Hilton used the Waldorf-Astoria name for any hotel other than its NYC flagship. According to my research, each hotel has a separate name, but under the name is "The Waldorf-Astoria Collection". There are only four or five hotels in the family.

What a great looking condotel! What a nice addition to the area. I really like the look at the penthouse floors. Thanks for the update. Why do they say "could" start and not will start??

Lack of sales, probably. No bank's going to finance construction without a sizable percentage under contract.

NCB posted a link to an article in a new thread. I found it telling that the developers were saying where they were "expecting" buyers to come from, instead of saying where the buyers are coming from.