New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

I made this map and the following map key to help summarize the high-rise developments in the city. This is just a start, so I did not include any renovations, only new structures.

The map shows with a red box the approximate location of the tower. In the map key, I included a picture if I could find one, and labeled those buildings in green for clarity. The other buildings are listed in black.

Let me know if any of these developments were canceled, or if you would like me to add more projects to the map.

HighrisesMap.jpg

key1.jpg

key2.jpg

Nice presentation staroftheshow86. Vantage definately got cancelled and nothing ever came of the project at 930 Poydras. I think that one would have really been impressive. Two big rehab projects are Plaza Tower, it can't stand abandoned forever, and the World Trade Center. That's a long term rehab undertaking with a huge pricetag.

:shades:

Excellent work staroftheshow!!! Nice map; the projects look to be spaced out very evenly;even if some were scrapped. The current CBD Skyline has to be one of the Top 20 in the U.S! The Tracage looks the best IMO; very sleek looking and super-cool at night too! It's ashame $construction co$t have jacked up all the planned vertical towers across the Gulf South. All the delays can be frustrating. I realy hope Trump goes thru and reclaim "Tallest" between Houston & Miami.

Looks to be behind the new Harrahs Hotel, on top of that building that fell down(how convenient,hahahha) recently!!

BTW. Fulton Street will be having fake snowfalls and ice on the street every hour on the hour from November 21 - January 8. They will have obnoxious carrolers tooo.!!!! Cant Wait!

St. Charles Streetcar to run entire length of St. Charles Ave. by Christmas. Final leg up South Carrolton to come later.

:shades:

That's just incredible news. Seeing the streetcars back on lower to mid-St. Charles has been great. What's weird, though, is now that they are back, it feels like they were never gone. I just hope I keep remembering to look far back over my left shoulder as I turn left on St. Charles onto the neutral ground! I'm sure there will be quite a few accidents stemming from those who forgot to look.

^Excellent news about the Saint Charles Ave. streetcar! I can't wait to ride the streetcar all the way to Camellia Grill! :thumbsup:

Sgray, yes, the fence around the Trump parking lot, along with the large advertising banner, has been there for a few weeks. It's good to see, but I'm still waiting for the parking lot to cease being a parking lot, and begin being a construction zone.

Folks, I've gotta say, it really seems like things are finally moving in this city. The city's population is over 300,000, the metro population is up to around 1.2 million, federal transportation money has come to the city resulting in a major pickup in streetcar line repairs and restorations, rents have (for the most part) stabalized, conventions and tourists are back, thoughts that the crime in New Orleans, while still being a problem, was way overblown by the national media are looking to be true on some levels, and now we are seeing more new housing created through factory/warehouse conversions since at least the boom of the Warehouse District in the 80's/90's.

Here's an article from the New York Times Real Estate section about new mixed-income housing in the city:

Article

Just strolling through the city these past few weeks, I couldn't tell you how many conventioners and other out-of-towners I spotted. That's when a thought popped into my head...when was the last time I heard anything about how the lack of tourists and conventions in the city, causing possible shutdowns of shops, restaurants, and hotels all over the city? Anybody else notice that? It seemed like no matter where you turned you heard the doom and gloom about how 350 people were getting killed every day in NOLA, or by the end of 2007 there would be a total of 2 businesses left in the city after all the rest moved to Houston. Remember the reports in 2006 which said that something like 70% of New Orleanians were "considering leaving the city within the next year" and all of the rest like them? Well, here we are, 2007 is winding down, and in the last 12 months the city has gained something like 65,000+ people, New Orleans was nowhere to be found in the top 25 of any of the newest "most dangerous city" lists, (though I realize crime is far from a non-problem here) conventions are returning monthly, and we are heading into one of the greatest tourist stretches I can remember seeing in my life. In the first quarter of 2008, we have the Sugar Bowl, BCS National Championship, NBA All-Star Game, Mardi Gras, and Jazz Fest. Based off the most conservative statistics and estimates, those events could bring nearly 1.5 million people into the city from January-May. :thumbsup:

Hey, I know there are still an almost infinite amount of problems in New Orleans right now, but it seems like we've turned some kind of corner. I'd like to think that the slowdown in doom and gloom news is because maybe there's not as much stuff to complain about? Thoughts?

Put it like this; If 350 people were getting knocked off daily in New Orleans, we would have 10,000+ murders at year's end. The police, as crooked as they are, would never let the violence get that out of hand. At least we aren't South Los Angeles, Rio or Bogota, all of which have more murders and crime than N.O. could ever have. Everything else is looking up for New Orleans, which is a good thing. People haven't given up on New Orleans and that's good.

Everything else is looking up for New Orleans, which is a good thing. People haven't given up on New Orleans and that's good.

Yep. That was my main point; after what seemed like an eternity of negativity and gloom in post-Katrina New Orleans, things finally seem to be looking up...even if it's only a bit at a time.

Of course I was only kidding about the 350 per day murder figure, but it sure seemed like that was the case if you watched some of the CNN reports on crime in New Orleans last year. I can even remember hearing a comparison between the streets of New Orleans and the streets of Baghdad. :scared:

Normally, one sees large amounts of hotel sales when the previous owners feel they can finally get a good sale price. It is very clear that 2008 will be a great year for New Orleans hotels. My friend that manages a hotel said the hotel will make its yearly quota by the end of March-early April. Tahs awesome. So I think this along with many other postive developments shows New Orleans is making positive progress. the only negative thing that made me mad was the Presidential Debats Committees snubbing of New Orleans. Its complete bullcrap why they decided not to be here!! I think the recent elections were a huge positive! I think we have a new governor that will be positive for business, especially Indian owned ones. The new attorney general wont be such a doofus like Foti. Jacki Clarkson was elected! Eddie Jordan resigned! If william jefferson gets indicted soon that will finish it all off!

Update on Trump Tower New Orleans.

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/UpTo...cfm?recID=14059

Also, Im hearing that Ruths Chris will probably be opening a restaurant on Fulton Street in one of Harrahs Parking Garages!

The UNO Lakefront Arena also will reopen completely revamped the beginnign of April! High School Musical on Ice will be the first event! This is a big deal because plenty of concert tours have skipped New Orleans because our available venues were either too small or too big! Like Gwen Stefani, Fergie, Nelly Furtado etc.

Also, Im hearing that Ruths Chris will probably be opening a restaurant on Fulton Street in one of Harrahs Parking Garages!

Thats great news!!! I think Fulton Street is the place 2 be if you are a tourist staying near the riverfront.

Question though...

What is going to take the place of that demolished site on the corner of Fulton??? Some rumored about a possible hotel coming to the Promenade. But I seriously doubt Harrahs would let a rival hotel in on its gold mine (Fulton Street)