New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

That's great news about Ruth's Chris possible coming to Fulton Street. Talk about a part of the CBD that has gone through a complete turnaround in the last year! Prior to the Harrah's Hotel coming along, the Poydras @ Convention Center Blvd. area was basically just blighted buildings with a parking garage on the corner. Now we've got another beautiful hotel and and Fulton Street, which has become something great (with even better potential) from seemingly nowhere. :thumbsup:

My post above actually made me curious about the pre-Harrah's Hotel Poydras and South Peters block(along with Fulton) compared to what we have now. And folks, I don't know if I could find a better example of an "urban improvement" in every way imaginable.

Here are two photos of the Poydras, Fulton, and South Peters blocks from August of 2003, when the idea of a hotel for Harrah's was first put on the table.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=192153...r=2003&mt=8

And here are two photos of what we see now:

356164629_5642352634.jpg

356164915_f99c476a19.jpg

Hard to beat that! :thumbsup:

N.O. seals deal to assemble land for VA hospital

Article from the T-P

Mayor Ray Nagin signed a detailed agreement with the federal government this month in which the city agreed to acquire 34 acres downtown where a new veterans hospital can be built, possibly in exchange for the right to redevelop the former veterans hospital on Perdido Street.

VA112907.jpg

A lot of people underestimate Baton Rouge but they get down up there. From a crime standpoint, Baton Rouge and N.O. have had the highest crime rates in the state. A lot of why Baton Rouge's crime is ahead of New Orleans' is because post-Katrina, some evacuees are up there jacking, trying to take over. Those clowns make New Orleans look bad.

Looks great!!! On the subject of crime again! Baton Rouge has always had a high crime rate! Its just never been talked about! New Orleans has a crime problem as do many cities! I just feel that we are unfairly labeled as a crime mecca when in fact it doesnt measure up! I would love to see a statistic on how many people are kille dby strangers! New york city had 36 murders last year in that category! I think that statistic is more important than anything else!!! Drug dealers killing drug dealers hardly evokes sympathy from me!

Well personally I hope Macy's or JCPennys builds out there...

If they do, ill drive from kenner pass Esplanade, Clearview, and Lakeside, and all that crap in elmwood to shop

I do believe that the major anchors are going to be Lowes, Target , JC Pennys or Dillards, and a Super Market (most likely Rouses). Chase bank has already broken ground on their new bank which is located in the town center. I believe that the reps of the town center are going to announce the rest of the anchors in 2008. As a resident of NOE I really appreciate that fact that you would go out of your way to shop in NOE. If you read the forums on NOLA , you'll see the negative comments that are posted about NOE and various neighborhood throughout the city. I know that NOE is going to come back stronger and better, we just need the support from the residents of NewOrleans and Beyond. Here's more on the town center; http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/upto...rer=dailyUpdate

do believe that the major anchors are going to be Lowes, Target , JC Pennys or Dillards, and a Super Market (most likely Rouses). Chase bank has already broken ground on their new bank which is located in the town center. I believe that the reps of the town center are going to announce the rest of the anchors in 2008. As a resident of NOE I really appreciate that fact that you would go out of your way to shop in NOE. If you read the forums on NOLA , you'll see the negative comments that are posted about NOE and various neighborhood throughout the city. I know that NOE is going to come back stronger and better, we just need the support from the residents of NewOrleans and Beyond. Here's more on the town center; http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/upto...rer=dailyUpdate

I am originally from New Orleans but due to Katrina im currently displaced from the city I love "New Orleans"... People say just how bad the areas in New Orleans are, my street is home to a bar room and dozens of wat appears to be sec. 8 housing!!

After reading all the negative comments on NOLA.com, I dont even read them anymore. Here you'll see just a great piece of news about recovery in New Orleans and then someone will leave you with negative energy just by reading the comments. I do believe that in the distant future New Orleans East will be one of the city's major economic hubs. The New Orleans Regional Business Park, Michoud facility, Renaissance Town Center, and potential airport.

As far as the anchors i feel like this: Lowe's, JCPenny, Sears or Dillards, and I hate to say it WAL-MART!!!

Hopefully im wrong and Target will open. Meanwhile stores like Barnes and Noble, Circuit City, etc. will open. And Chase brokeground on a location in the shopping center.

Question, how is the lowe's location looking?

And finally. I already have the tag line for the shopping center "The Renaissance Town Center, The New Essence of Shopping"

I realize this isn't much of a source, but the bartender at Ernst Cafe told me that they are expecting an ESPN Zone to be constructed on Fulton St, right across the street from Ernst and across Fulton from Grand Isle restaurant. Yall may remember that old building that "collapsed" in the middle of the night several months back. Well the girl also told me that they doubt it was an accident. The ESPN Zone folks didn't want to deal with the historic building remediation hassles. I think this is just a coincidence. But anyway, if it happens, it will be a great addition to that corridor.

Wow, that would be fantastic! An ESPN Zone in the CBD would be more than great, and I can't think of a better location than Fulton Street.

It really seems the area of the CBD between Canal and Poydras and below Camp is really coming around now. New hotels, Fulton Street and its new bars and restaurants, Trump, the entire revitalization of Canal, and now a possible ESPN Zone.

And while I realize that while that may not be the best source, I've learned over the years that if you ever want to know what's going on in a certain part of the city...ask a club/bar/restaurant owner or a bartender. They really do hear just about everything going on.

There has been talk of that ESPN ZONE for a while on Fulton Street! I do no think that is what is going there anymore! Gordon Biersch was where they were actually considering putting it originally! I think it could be a great addition! However, the building falling down seems to be somewhat intentional too! Very suspicious, but the building lost wasnt a big deal!

O yeah and NOLA.COM is full of horrible, negative, chicken littles! Ive never met more pessimistic individuals !! They need to get a life!!

I drove by today on the way to a bday dinner at Zea's and saw that the pilings for the Lowe's at the Rennaissance Center were being driven in. This is great news for NOE!

I also agree that the forums and blogs on nola.com are atrocious. Nothing but negative attitudes and race baiting.