New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Development firm The Domain Companies (same people involved with The Preserve, The Crescent, and The Meridian) announce more loft apartments in Mid-City. The plan will convert the former Gold Seal Creamery site into apartments for artists and will also rehab several smaller blighted properties in the surrounding neighborhood.

Wow, that is infuriating. Though it is legal to sell your property for a price that you set, it's a stark reminder that it only takes one person to hold-up a sizeable recovery project.

And if you want to get even more fired up, read about Mike Motwani, owner of fine t-shirt shops in CBD and the Quarter. Ed Badouh's actions are greedy at best, immoral at worst, reprehensible regardless, but still legal.... The legality of Motwani's actions are another matter.

Edited by blackcoat

rcp, you mentioned reading more news about ICInola the other day (possibly in the print edition of City Business?). Today, New Orleans City Business has a new article on ICInola and associated retail tenants. Also in the Bywater, NOCCA is purchasing additional property for future expansion, and not too far away, a new neighborhood center is opening in the 7th Ward.

Edited by blackcoat

Hey guys, I'm putting together a thread for the entire developing medical district around Canal St. and Tulane Ave. and should have it up by this weekend.

It's good to hear some more news coming from the Trump developers and executives. I'd be interested in knowing how many condos have already been sold, or at least pre-sold.

According to this story on WWL tv, there were 5,000 condo units planned for New Orleans before the storm, but only about 20% are still under consideration. That's only about 1,000. Can't be a good sign for Trump, etc.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl0125...s.5a67cb51.html

Look at it this way....Trump is one of the survivors. I firmly believe the building will be built. The question, though, is when.

A development group working under the name "2400 Canal LLC" is planning to renovate the Old City Hall annex. The problem is that this is on the property that is being set aside for development of the new VA hospital... Toward the end of the same article are brief mentions about the Federal City project in Algiers and 930 Poydras.

Restoration work on the Mahalia Jackson Theatre of Performing Arts is underway, and should be complete by August. The theatre is scheduled to reopen by early 2009.

Traditional theme parks are dying all over the country as they have become havens for gangs and drugdealers! Only true destination parks will survive! Six flags was never that park!

:lol::lol: Gangs & drug dealers are smarter than that. With thousands of people who frequent theme parks, do you think they would be stupid enough to do their dirt on theme park grounds? Generally, they blend in with the crowd so as not to draw attention to themselves.

Edited by UptownNewOrleans

Trump is preparing to start selling condos. Also in the article it says once half the units are sold construction will begin.

According to this article, the Trump sales office will allegedly open on Feb. 10. Seems like it would have been a good idea to get it open in time for Mardi Gras so that people in from out of town or even just downtown for the parades might be able to stop in if interested.

According to this article, the Trump sales office will allegedly open on Feb. 10. Seems like it would have been a good idea to get it open in time for Mardi Gras so that people in from out of town or even just downtown for the parades might be able to stop in if interested.

I thought the same thing. Then, I thought, to myself: The typical Mardi Gras visitor is not going to purchase a Trump condo.

I thought the same thing. Then, I thought, to myself: The typical Mardi Gras visitor is not going to purchase a Trump condo.

Maybe not, but all they need is 700 or so. I doubt many residents will want a condotel, so the typical Trump buyer will probably be an out-of-towner. And there won't be any more in town than at Mardi Gras. I'm imagining visitors seeing signs for Trump while at the parades, and getting curious, then wanting to check it out. I doubt many people would buy one on the spot, but they could at least get a good look. But the office will be up for Jazzfest, so that'll be good

While in the Warehouse District today, I noticed a crane with a drill-like device that was drilling into the ground. The area was fenced off and is in the block between Cotton Mill and Woodward. It's not part of the DDay Museum expansion, because that expansion is further down the street, and it is not te Tracage, because it's not the right lot. Any ideas?